Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

flat contract noisy

4 posts in this topic

I have just signed a contract to rent a flat. It is a lovely flat BUT today, going over to paint it, I realise that you can hear EVERYTHING from upstairs. So, it is not the quiet place that they said it was! Contract began on the 15th of this month. Is it true that there is a short amount of time in which you can cancel it?

No, there is for some contracts but mostly where you are being caught off guard like if somebody comes to your door and offers you something.  In a case like that, you'd have 14 days to think about it and cancel it if you don't want it.  You can give notice now and be on the hook until the end of January.  You can look for another tenant to take it if the landlord approves.  Or move in and make the best of it.  Maybe you can drop the ceiling and put in extra insulation, at least in the rooms where you like it more quiet.

I've never lived in an apartment in any country where I couldn't hear the neighbours.  It just goes with the territory.  If you don't want to hear the neighbours, get a free standing house.

When I lived on the top floor, The neighbour below was always complaining about the loud twat that lived upstairs...

I never heard owt... so I assumed he was just a moaning old git...

Maybe it's because the flat is still empty and therefore exceptionally hellhörig? Furniture, rugs, curtains etc. swallow sounds, so maybe you won't hear half as much once you've moved in.