Maps for hiking

26 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Taffthedigger said:

" Oh no, we don't need maps came the reply". A lot of my chums are often on the hill - and do not have a compass - let alone know how to use one. Is this laziness, stupidity or what? The idea of having an emergency ration at the bottom of your pack seems to be an alien concept as well. I am pretty shocked at the slap-dash attitude displayed by a lot of my pals. The mountains can be a very hostile place.

This year in Allgäu I saw a Notarzt helicopter desperately flying along arête where I was hiking a couple of hours ago. Apparently someone fell but couldn't tell exact position. I hope everything was ok because that mountain wasn't too steep.

A month later a man died on Jubiläumsgrat (arête between Alpspitze and Zugspitze, the toughest route to climb Zugspitze) because he couldn't tell his exact position to emergency services. A helicopter was flying along but couldn't locate him before darkness. Next morning they found his body, he died not because of his injuries but because of cold: he did have warm clothing but his injuries were so severe that he couldn't take it out of his backpack. So sad...

In other words, going anywhere without maps is irresponsible: it is possible that you get lost or will need emergency and ability to specify where you are can save your life. A GPS doesn't necessarily help, but is also recommended.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

A GPS doesn't necessarily help, but is also recommended.

Shouldn't that be: "A GPS helps as long as you have a signal, but you won't always have a signal and that's where you need a backup (and know how to read it)" ?

25 minutes ago, cormar said:

Shouldn't that be: "A GPS helps as long as you have a signal, but you won't always have a signal and that's where you need a backup (and know how to read it)" ?

Sure. Also GPS accuracy of 15-20 m should be taken into account, which can be critical in some places.

5 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Sure. Also GPS accuracy of 15-20 m should be taken into account, which can be critical in some places.

If you could narrow down your location to +/- 100 meters, that would give emergency services enough to go on to find you- assuming decent weather.  Of course, contrasting colored clothing, a whistle, a light or an emergency mirror would all help- The average hiker going hut to hut, or road to road, or restaurant to restaurant on marked trails isn't in the habit of carrying these anymore, although the alpine clubs still try educate people about them.

ret - must be bloody awful being a Rescue person today with  the nobs and mobile phones they reckon will rescue them.

On 14/10/2016, 10:37:20, Joanie said:

huh, we don't have "official paths" that we need to use.  We can also use other trails.  The issue in this area is that if you try to hike through complete brush, its a world of pain with stinging nettle and ticks.  But still do able.  I am referring to the black forest of course which is like, the best place to hike EVER.  (and i come from canada :P)

Anyways, the maps i use for hiking around here are from this series:

https://www.amazon.de/Kinzigtal-mitten-Schwarzwald-Ausflugszielen-Freizeittipps/dp/3899205650/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1476434205&sr=8-4&keywords=kinzigtal

they are only 1:50 000 but i like them a lot. hope that helps...

Thank you for the suggestion Joanie - will take a look