Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

where do you invest your savings?

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

i recently moved back to germany ..and thinking about settling down for a while.. so i was wondering what are the best way to invest some savings. What do you do? do you have special insurances?fonds? life insurance? what else?

Thanks

There are already many threads on this subject if you would just type "investments" into the search bar at the top right, you will be directed to them.

Welcome to Toytown!

Either contact a financial advisor (there are several who advertise here on TT), or put it all under your mattress and add €5 to it each week.

i was wondering what are the best way to invest some savings.

None.

1 hour ago, ilprofessoredivesuviano said:

What do you do? do you have special insurances?fonds? life insurance? what else?

I don't know why did you took this as an offense, talking to finance adviser is the best thing to do. There are a couple of them on TT who proved to be competent and independent of corporations and banks, i.e. @john.g and @Starshollow

What is good for one person is not necessarily good for another one. There is no "best way".

I'm no expert, but then I don't think you are looking for an expert, just for some people to chime in with their opinions and experiences...

I looked into this recently and decided to go for funds. The general opinion I gathered from research (and this is not specific to Germany) was that most expert advice (e.g. to buy particular shares) doesn't outperform the simple tracker indexes. If you also believe this, then diverse, low cost (meaning low charges when you buy them) tracker funds might be a way to go. You can buy these yourself via various online platform like comdirect, ing-diba etc, etc.

There are many ways of obtaining quality investment advice.

On the whole, asking random strangers for advice on an Internet forum is not one of them. No matter how friendly they are.

7 hours ago, ilprofessoredivesuviano said:

Hi,

i recently moved back to germany ..and thinking about settling down for a while.. so i was wondering what are the best way to invest some savings. What do you do? do you have special insurances?fonds? life insurance? what else?

Thanks

Professore! You are also on another thread on TT re buying property, which involves professional advice eg mortgages, insurances.  You may be well advised to harmonise all your requirements/wishes , which may include serious insurance issues and even include short, medium and long-term savings plans..but I don´t think it´s a good idea to separate these issues on different threads.

A serious/professional advisor would want to know more about you and your situation before giving any advice..for many reasons, including professional liability. This would include knowing more about your family situation, your health situation, your financial situation and all the rest of it.

Anything else is dangerously superficial. 

(Friendly advice!:rolleyes: )

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I advice Greek 10y government bonds or hops where Bavaria is the biggest exporter of the world.

Disclaimer: I'm watching Italy-Spain in a sports bar in Mallorca where I'm the only person in favour of Italy and already had several Franziskaner.

The days of Betongold (cheap real estate as an investment) are over in most of Germany, except for the most remote eastern areas with shrinking poplation/no jobs/angry politics, be careful!

Unless you are able to play the stock market yourself - a fulltime risky job - I also believe finding a trustworthy independent investment advisor is the way to go. Do lots of of digging for reviews and references!

14 hours ago, john g. said:

Professore! You are also on another thread on TT re buying property, which involves professional advice eg mortgages, insurances.  You may be well advised to harmonise all your requirements/wishes , which may include serious insurance issues and even include short, medium and long-term savings plans..but I don´t think it´s a good idea to separate these issues on different threads.

A serious/professional advisor would want to know more about you and your situation before giving any advice..for many reasons, including professional liability. This would include knowing more about your family situation, your health situation, your financial situation and all the rest of it.

Anything else is dangerously superficial. 

(Friendly advice!:rolleyes: )

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

thanks jonh, lets have a chat :) 

I am not an expert in financial matters, but now could be a good time to convert Euros into pounds.

I am waiting for the pound to drop below 1.10 and then converting euros to pounds.

With the Italian referendum and Austrian elections the euro could also go through a rocky period.

1 pound at 1.1074 euro could be worth a punt.

Like I said I am not a financial adviser and could be talking sh*t. so your cash is your risk.

We can thank Theresa May for making the very interesting recent comments. "We want to continue to stay in the single market, but without people freedom of movement". If she get it (and I think it's very unlikely but still possible), then the EU will soon cease to exist.