Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Business English teacher query

3 posts in this topic

Hello.

Apologies for the duplicate post, but I am looking to move to specific regions of Germany and would like to know my chances

of work in each region. 

Curious to know if getting a fairly recognised Business English qualification will enhance my chances of getting

a more permanent/less freelance English teaching job in this region?

I ask as I am willing to pay the money (€600) for the course but if it isn't going to make much of a difference then I won't.

I should add I am CELTA qualified, 4 years ESL experience and have an Hons degree in something unrelated.

Thanks for your time.

No, don't waste time and money on an extra certificate. The CELTA certificate is more than sufficient.

I would recommend avoiding big 'obvious' cities like Berlin, Munchen, Köln, etc. In theory there is more work, but everyone also flocks to these places so you will have tonnes of competition. This lowers wages somewhat, but more importantly also lowers how much effort employers put in to keeping their workers happy. If there's a line up around the block of applicants every week, it's easier to dictate how things are done. It's also just much easier to get a toehold in mid-size cities. Obviously they still need enough of a business community to keep you gainfully employed, but competition for jobs tends to be less severe and if you're good, you'll 'advance' faster. 

As for permanent (fully securely employed) English-teaching work... heh. Unless you're going to be a highschool teacher, which is a completely different story, it's basically unheard of. There are university positions, but openings are few and far between. And from my experience (having been at a uni myself) hiring for permanent/long-term 'project' jobs is almost always de facto internal, or of people otherwise previously known to those hiring. However, it is quite possible to build up enough contacts to have regular freelance work and live comfortably (if not extravagantly) enough... 

I'd agree Your CELTA should be enough, it's a gold standard. Germans LOVE a paper trail and you can almost never have enough certificates no matter how meaningless, but when it comes to (business) English teaching, German employers are concerned with one main thing: That you're a native-speaker (I see you're Scottish, so beware that if strong it is one of the English accents Germans have the most trouble with). Actually having real experience in the business world, or the 'right' education background will also come in handy.