Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

moved in new apartment and i dont have personal postbox

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I thought one could only have one's name on the postbox where one is registered. Just goes to show how little I know.

What I wonder instead if whether we must put our name on the postbox where we are registered. I'd rather have "Apartment 12" or whatever instead of my name.

23 minutes ago, Smaug said:

What I wonder instead if whether we must put our name on the postbox where we are registered. I'd rather have "Apartment 12" or whatever instead of my name.

You are free to do so, there is no law that forces you to have your name on the postbox. Police and the bailiffs will find you so or so. But: If you expect to get your mail properly you better put your name on it. Neither Deutsche Post nor UPS, DPD etc. can be forced to deliver to a 'no name' or to do research with numbers and matching names before delivery.

If you only have a c/o or a postbox at a post office, some letters will not reach you. This mostly concerns banks, they use the letter as a proof of your address; if you don't plan to open any bank accounts, I would say, it's not necessary.

But on the other hand, I believe landlord must give you the mailbox key and then you can put a slip of paper with your name near his, so this problem shouldn't be hard to solve.

But what if the "Landlord" isnt actually the landlord?

Maybe its just some bloke who is subleting rooms and doesnt want the actual landlord to find out!

29 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Maybe its just some bloke who is subleting rooms and doesnt want the actual landlord to find out!

Good point. Did you ask the guy about registration in the apartment? What was his reaction?

10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Why not get yourself a P_O box set up at your local post office ?

That costs money and i can enter only during open times.

10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:
8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:
7 hours ago, ilyann said:

Good point. Did you ask the guy about registration in the apartment? What was his reaction?

I will not speculate things :P