Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

moved in new apartment and i dont have personal postbox

29 posts in this topic

Dear all

I moved into new shared apartment and i dont have my own postbox. The owner told me that usually he will receive the post and he will

give it to me. I looked outside the apartment and beside 3 boxes there is one with his name on it and it says that all the mail should be put there

for all the inhabitants of the apartments

I talked briefly today with the owner and he told me to use a "co" adress and i couldnt clarify what does it means(he showed me something like i give my adress but also appears his name in the adress)

Does anyone has experience with this shared postbox where all the envelopes come into one box and there is not the names of the inhabitants on the postbox ?

Thanx

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For example if i give the postbank my new adress , there is not my name on any postbox , and how will the postman know where to put the envelope ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

For example if i give the postbank my new adress , there is not my name on any postbox , and how will the postman know where to put the envelope ?

 

He knows by reading this:

 

Quote

here is one with his name on it and it says that all the mail should be put there

 

 

Quote

I talked briefly today with the owner and he told me to use a "co" adress and i couldnt clarify what does it means(he showed me something like i give my adress but also appears his name in the adress)

 

Trace Kira

c/o Owner

Street Number

Code City

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

I looked outside the apartment and beside 3 boxes there is one with his name on it and it says that all the mail should be put there

 

 

 

2 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

[...] and how will the postman know where to put the envelope ?

 

I think you've answered your own question but if you are worried why don't you put a sticker with your name on the box? Surely your landlord can't object. Ask him first out of courtesy though.

 

By "co" he means "c/o", which stands for "care of" and it's used to have mail sent to someone else who takes care of the ultimate recipient receiving it. The address would look like this if your landlord's name were "Peter Müller":

 

Trace Kira

c/o Peter Müller

Zuckerstrasse 1110

08080 Stuttgart

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someonesdaughter beat me to it!

 

Just something to add: Sometimes banks or other entities don't accept c/o addresses because they look like you might not actually live there and they want to make sure they have your residential address.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Someonesdaughter beat me to it!

 

Just something to add: Sometimes banks or other entities don't accept c/o addresses because they look like you might not actually live there and they want to make sure they have your residential address.

 

So let me undestand

This c/o stuff is semi legal ? I dont understand how someone else can receive the letters adressed to me

My worry is since i dont have the keys to the box , i might receive with a delay my letters since they need to be passed to me by the owner who doenst even live in the building. Maybe he make a mistake and deliver to some other inhabitant my letters under the door and maybe that person is in vacation and then what , wait for the other person ?

This seems like a complication

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have a key to the box and all names should be on it. We have boxes in our house with multiple names. How else can you receive your bills and create a good Schufa score?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

 

So let me undestand

This c/o stuff is semi legal ? I dont understand how someone else can receive the letters adressed to me

My worry is since i dont have the keys to the box , i might receive with a delay my letters since they need to be passed to me by the owner who doenst even live in the building. Maybe he make a mistake and deliver to some other inhabitant my letters under the door and maybe that person is in vacation and then what , wait for the other person ?

This seems like a complication

 

Using "c/o" is legal.

My alarm bells are ringing though. If your landlord doesn't live there I wonder what his name is doing on the mailbox. Anyway, that's YOUR mailbox and you should have a key for it as @fraufruit says.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You should have a key to the box and all names should be on it. We have boxes in our house with multiple names. How else can you receive your bills and create a good Schufa score?

 

I have no idea. I told the owner about this today (i just moved in 2 hours  ago ) and he told me he will clarify tomorrow.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Smaug said:

 

Using "c/o" is legal.

My alarm bells are ringing though. If your landlord doesn't live there I wonder what his name is doing on the mailbox. Anyway, that's YOUR mailbox and you should have a key for it as @fraufruit says.

 

I dont know :) I guess he has multiple buildings rented

---

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TraceKira I think you should remove the link you have just posted. It links your landlord's name and photograph directly to this thread. Better keep personal info out of this. Do you know how to do that? Click on "Edit" and edit your post accordingly. Do it now: you only have a few minutes. After that you'd have to report the post to the mods.

 

Anyway, his name being on the box is his own business. You needn't concern yourself about it. Maybe I shouldn't have "raised the alarm".

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smaug said:

@TraceKira I think you should remove the link you have just posted. It links your landlord's name and photograph directly to this thread. Better keep personal info out of this. Do you know how to do that? Click on "Edit" and edit your post accordingly. Do it now: you only have a few minutes. After that you'd have to report the post to the mods.

 

Anyway, his name being on the box is his own business. You needn't concern yourself about it. Maybe I shouldn't have "raised the alarm".

Ok

Removed the link .

Thanx for the clarification . I am a little bit stressed since i quit my old company and there is a lot of documents and contracts needs to be send and received to me :(.Also my company i found out send my documents to the wrong adress and then i gave correct adress and then when i move to this new one it gets even more confusing with this c/o stuff :D

I will use my old adress for the moment since i have it for the next 1-2 weeks and then i will write ANOTHER email to my company with the new adress :) Its gets crazy with these adresses omg

 

Ps: someone else was living at my old adress and i forgot to unregister her and now the Rathaus persons got crazy :( and told me they could fine me ...wtf Problems everywhere

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

 

So let me undestand

This c/o stuff is semi legal ?

 

No, it's not "semi legal" – it's simply legal.

 

Quote

 

I dont understand how someone else can receive the letters adressed to me

 

Every hotel does this – or have you ever seen dozens or hundreds of personal mailboxes in a hotel?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, someonesdaughter said:

 

No, it's not "semi legal" – it's simply legal.

 

 

Every hotel does this – or have you ever seen dozens or hundreds personal mailboxes in a hotel?

 

 

Ok thanx for the clarification :) That really helps

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

I will use my old adress for the moment since i have it for the next 1-2 weeks and then i will write ANOTHER email to my company with the new adress :) Its gets crazy with these adresses omg

 

You should consider a 'Nachsendeauftrag' with Deutsche Post:

 

http://www.nachsendeauftrag.de

 

All letters (and a variety of other mails) delivered by Deutsche Post to your old address will be forwarded to the new one, up to 24 months. It's not for free although. 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, your landlord can't put his name on the mailbox if he doesn't live there. Why would he? Where is he registered?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

As far as I know, your landlord can't put his name on the mailbox if he doesn't live there.

 

Because it's his building? Because he has a full or part time office there? Who  knows. I actually have 3 postboxes with my name on it: The one at our house, where we are living (registered), the one at my office and one the former house of my in-laws we're using as a holiday home. And of course that's completely legal. And I once had a Postfach with my name on it – it was definitely too small to live in. :)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for the help

I talked with the owner and he told me we will clarify tomorrow. I just taken over the room  a few hours ago and I will clarify the things step by step :P.

I will keep you posted if something new

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0