Notice period for the apartment

7 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone, 

This is my rental contract:

"§ 6 Mietdauer und Kündigung
(1) Der Mietvertrag beginnt am 01.05.2016
☒ und läuft auf unbestimmte Zeit.
☒ er kann von den Parteien allerdings erstmalig zum 31.10.2016
ordentlich gekündigt werden. Das Recht zur außerordentlichen Kündigung bleibt hiervon
unberührt.
(2) Setzt der Mieter nach Ablauf der Mietzeit den Gebrauch der Mietsache fort, so verlängert sich das
Mietverhältnis nicht auf unbestimmte Zeit. § 545 BGB wird ausgeschlossen".

Does it mean that I can leave the apartment at the end of October and giving them a short notice (i.e 1 month instead of 3)?

Thank you so much

The excerpt from the contract doesn't specify what notice you need to give. Unless a different notice period is explicitly mentioned in the contract you need to give 3 months notice. Your notice must reach your landlord by the third working day of the month, if you want that month to count as part of the notice period. This means that if your landlord gets your notice by the 5th of October you could move out by the 31st of December.

If you want to move earlier you should try to get a "Nachmieter" to take over your lease. This is common practice in Germany and your landlord needs to agree to it.

By the way, this clause: " (2) Setzt der Mieter nach Ablauf der Mietzeit den Gebrauch der Mietsache fort, so verlängert sich das Mietverhältnis nicht auf unbestimmte Zeit. § 545 BGB wird ausgeschlossen". " is invalid. That's confirmed by Oberlandesgericht Schleswig (4 RE-Miet 1/93).

59 minutes ago, Loffa said:

Does it mean that I can leave the apartment at the end of October

No, it means you would have had to cancel the contract before August 3rd to leave the apartment at the end of October. Although – you can actually "leave" anytime, but still have to pay rent. ;) 

59 minutes ago, Loffa said:

and giving them a short notice (i.e 1 month instead of 3)?

No. There's nothing about a notice period in this paragraph.

Straight answer:  Yes, you can leave the apartment before end of October, if you have "extraordinary grounds" to do so.

Extraordinary reasons to do so: https://dejure.org/gesetze/BGB/543.html

§6 (1) of the contract you posted says that your lease starts on 1-May 2016, and runs for an unlimited time. Both parties (you and the landlord) can cancel the contract through ordinary grounds (normal reasons, like you just want to move) starting* on 31-Oct 2016.

*it says zum 31.10.2016, and the use of zum has always been debatable in my head if it's from, starting, etc. For sure someone in TT knows this better than me.

But you get the gist of it. if you have no extraordinary reason, your Kündigung won't be valid before 31-Oct 2016.

22 minutes ago, stomp said:

But you get the gist of it. if you have no extraordinary reason, your Kündigung won't be valid before 31-Oct 2016.

You are right in saying that an ordinary termination of the contract is not possible before 31-10-16 but you seem to forget that because of the three-month notice period the OP is already too late for that. For an ordinary termination the 31-12-16 is the earliest possible, and he only has a couple of days to give in his notice. The 3-month notice period is determined by law. This is what the relevant statute says:

Section 573c
Termination notice periods

(1) Notice of termination is allowed at the latest on the third working day of a calendar month to the end of the second month thereafter.  The notice period for the lessor is extended, by three months in each case, five and eight years after the lessee is permitted to use the residential space.

(2) For residential space that is only leased for temporary use, a shorter notice period may be agreed.

(3) For residential space under section 549 (2) no. 2, notice of termination is allowed at the latest on the fifteenth day of a month to the end of that month.

(4) An agreement deviating from subsections (1) or (3) to the disadvantage of the lessee is ineffective.

Please I have similar problem and would like you to ask for your opinion before I will speak with my landlord. I got new job in different city and so I would like to terminate my contract to 30.04.2019.

This is what is in my contract.

Die Mietvertragsparteien verzichten wechselseitig bis zum 30. April 2019 auf ihr Recht zur ordentlichen Kündigung. Eine Kündigung ist erstmals zum Ablauf des vorgenannten Zeitraums mit der gesetzlichen Frist zulässig. Von dem Verzicht bleibt das Recht der Mietvertragsparteien zur außerordentlichen Kündigung aus wichtigem Grund und zur außerordentlichen Kündigung mit gesetzlicher Frist ungerührt.

Does this mean I can give my notice only on 1.05.2019 and then the 3 months notice period will start pending(contract will be terminated on 31.7.2019)

Or I can give my notice now and terminate the contract on 30.05.2019.

Thank you in advance,

Why not ask him...?

Sehr geehrter Herr xxxxxxx
Ich habe einen neuen Arbeitsvertrag in dustbindorf erhalten, da ich aufgrund der Entfernung von Frankfurt in eine arbeitsnähere Stadt umziehen muss. 
Können Sie mir bitte sagen, wie ich am besten mit der Kündigung unseres Mietvertrages vorgehen soll?
Ich möchte dies mit dem Effekt der Räumung der Immobilie am xx.xx.xx.2019 tun. 
Soll ich für einen Nachmeiter werben oder willst du das selbst kontrollieren?
Ich warte auf Ihre schnelle Antwort.
Vielen Dank für dein Verständnis.