DHL refusing to reimburse for stolen goods

62 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, salazartherin said:

And he also sent me pictures of the original product inside the same box that he sent me. He took these pictures before packing the box. So yeah he looks genuine.

There is a nice German word for this: verarschen

This is what he is doing to you.

AFAIK legally you can't sue DHL for an item you didn't send, you only can sue the sender. Demand 450 euro from him. If his package is insured then it's him who should claim this insurance.

Regarding the possibility of delivery guy to steal your smartphone: they don't have much time for that, they get like 100 packages and should delivery them ASAP, they don't have time to open any single anonymous package and check it for valuables, so if they are up for stealing they would rather open an Amazon labelled package. That's why I think your seller verarscht you.

On 24. September 2016 um 16:02:24, salazartherin said:

Is there something else I can do to get my money back from DHL apart from legal way?

There is no way at all to get anything from DHL – because you have no business relation with DHL at all. The sender has. It would be his duty to get compensation. 

Compare the package and postmark to the location on his ad. Do they match? Compare the IBAN to the address on the package to the location he posted on Ebay-kleinanzeigen. Do they match? If anything doesn't match up, you've been had. File a police report and reference him, all the addresses and locations and his email addresses, as well as the bank account number and STOP buying things from unverified sellers where you have no protection.

Dumb question:  Can't you just call the police (as the eBay seller said anyways) and let them figure out who the thief is? I mean, minor eBay scams are not normally a big priority for police but mail fraud is a bit more serious...

Forget DHL, you have no claim, there is no invoice, nothing.

Forget ebay, you did not use Paypal, and Ebay right now is a piece of shit, only works if you collect it. I stopped using it after problems like yours. Ebay doesn't give a shit. I actually proved them that the item was never delivered (with DHL document) and they gave the seller reason.

You can try to make a complain against the guy, but the value is not worth it.

Spend time thinking on how you can avoid situations like these, I would for now assume the money is gone for good.

Hi 

I am must admit this sounds like the seller pulling a fast one rather than dhl.

when a parcel is sent it goes through a dhl processing center and all things are recorded about the package weight dimensions etc. 

my my advice is approach dhl tell them the scenario and ask them what info they hold on the package .

they should be able to provide you with the dimensions and the weight at the time it went through the scanners at the depot (this is all automated ). 

Weigh the current parcel and it's contents . If this matches what dhl say then this willl go some way to proving that this happens prior to dhl receiving the package .

one thing that sticks in my mind is why would you take a photo of the phone prior to sending if you are sending it insured it makes no sense . 

Next step ask for the imei of the device that you have purchased . The police should be able to do a check to see if this imei is an active handset .

request a refund for the items from ghe seller as you have not received the items he sent ,

request the tracking barcode and the place it was sent from the seller and contact the police . 

46 minutes ago, yorkie_dortmund said:

Next step ask for the imei of the device that you have purchased . The police should be able to do a check to see if this imei is an active handset .

Very good point. Ask the seller to provide the IMEI and a proof of it, so you can disable it.

If you still have the pictures you can right click in chrome and search google for the same image. You can also drag the picture into Google image search. It may be a fast way to confirm if the pictures were just lifted from the internet. The item may also have been re advertised.

Go to the police most good con artists will tell you to go and sound very convincing and kind, believe me. Last scammer on ebay came up with all sorts of excuses including child in hospital, I have met a few. If he has no record they will take him at face value. Also agree with the weight at posting should have been recorded. I did not bid on an item last night because the payment was bank transfer and zero feedback. Try a google search on the name, address and handy number separately see what comes up, and have a look on Google maps see what the area is like if its not blocked in street view. Do not touch the items inside as they may have his DNA and explaining how it got there is difficult. DHL would just lose it rather than repack IMO. They seem quite honest and nice round my way. 

On 01/11/2016, 18:47:04, MikeMelga said:

Very good point. Ask the seller to provide the IMEI and a proof of it, so you can disable it.

3 hours ago, yorkie_dortmund said:

How did you get on with this .

was there any outcome 

IMIEI Number - He says he doesnt know the IMEI number and hasnt written it down anywhere, and when i think about it I dont know the IMEI number of my own phone either. 

DHL weight scanner - I already complained to DHL multiple times there responses are rather vague, unhelpful and slow. When I go to their office near the main station they ask me to write a letter to their main branch somewhere else and say they cant help me there. My German is also not up to the mark so I dont think I can go very far by myself talking with these people.

Seller - I'm still trying to get the money outta him by threatening him for a police complaint but he doesnt budge from his initial statements that he has indeed sent the phone and that he is honest. He already gave me the tracking barcode and the place it was sent from. That seems legit. A google image search on the photos he sent me of the phone inside the box before packing it doesnt show any results.

Now the last option left is police complaint but I've heard from friends police wont help you much in cases with ebaykleinanzeigen because its my fault to have made this untrusted transaction with this person. Ive actually been cheated once before on this same website and I did indeed make a police complaint against the seller but nothing seems to have happened since 1 year now. So I'm not too hopeful. Maybe Ill make a complaint or maybe Ill just let it go. Im tired of running after this 450€. Its a lesson for me not to make these transactions again on ebay through post.

DHL won't pay anything to you, since you do not have a contract. The sender has to start conversation with DHL, as he is the contract partner. Can you post a picture of that red tape you mentioned?

Franklan... The Packaging was delivered,,,,, But with some other worthless item and not the ordered goods!

12 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Franklan... The Packaging was delivered,,,,, But with some other worthless item and not the ordered goods!

That doesn't change anything Franklan said. Complaining with DHL leads the OP nowhere because OP still has no contract with DHL. It would have been the senders job to reimburse OP and then deal with DHL – he's the one with the delivery contract. 

On ‎24‎/‎9‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎02‎:‎24‎, salazartherin said:

Is there something else I can do to get my money back from DHL apart from legal way?

Hire some guys with baseball bats. ;)

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

This is the whole point- only the seller knows what he put in the package.    DHL delivered.

16 hours ago, franklan said:

DHL won't pay anything to you, since you do not have a contract. The sender has to start conversation with DHL, as he is the contract partner. Can you post a picture of that red tape you mentioned?

Thats the picture from the seller before he sent it out.

m-konversation-anhang-min.jpeg

Thanks for the additional info. 

So he needs to provide you with the following : 

Serial number and IMEI of the device he sold. 

By the fact he sent you a picture prior to sending ( Which in my mind is suspicious) then i am sure he would of saved these details. 

Call his bluff and tell him the Police require this as they are investigating this with DHL and also your insurance company to allow you to claim a refund. 

IF HE CANT provide this then i would in the first instance request a refund and then advise him that you will seek to reclaim this money through a solicitor.