DHL refusing to reimburse for stolen goods

62 posts in this topic

HI guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out in this situation. I bought a smartphone (worth 450€) from a private seller on ebay and he sent it to me as an insured package through DHL. When I received the package, it contained some worthless electronic device inside it (looks like a portable hard disk but does not work) instead of a smartphone. When I asked the sender for an explanation with a picture of the package he told me that the packaging looks different from the one he sent (the box was sealed with a red tape which he claims he did not put on it). So we both reached a conclusion that someone opened the package on the way, replaced the phone with this device and resealed it with the red tape. I applied for reimbursement at DHL since the parcel was insured but received a 4 line letter from them stating that they are not responsible for this and will not reimburse. I think of course DHL is responsible since the loss happened during their delivery service. Now I don't have any proof from the sender that he actually sent the phone apart from his word but he seems to be honest (for example he didn't just disappear or stop communicating) and is very willing to cooperate with any further process. Is there something else I can do to get my money back from DHL apart from legal way? Is it even worth to hire a lawyer for reimbursement of an amount like 450€? Any lawyers you would recommend for such a matter? Will I even get the money back even if I hire a lawyer, any one had such experiences with DHL?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, salazartherin said:

HI guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out in this situation. I bought a smartphone (worth 450€) from a private seller on ebay and he sent it to me as an insured package through DHL. When I received the package, it contained some worthless electronic device inside it (looks like a portable hard disk but does not work) instead of a smartphone. When I asked the sender for an explanation with a picture of the package he told me that the packaging looks different from the one he sent (the box was sealed with a red tape which he claims he did not put on it). So we both reached a conclusion that someone opened the package on the way, replaced the phone with this device and resealed it with the red tape. I applied for reimbursement at DHL since the parcel was insured but received a 4 line letter from them stating that they are not responsible for this and will not reimburse. I think of course DHL is responsible since the loss happened during their delivery service. Now I don't have any proof from the sender that he actually sent the phone apart from his word but he seems to be honest (for example he didn't just disappear or stop communicating) and is very willing to cooperate with any further process. Is there something else I can do to get my money back from DHL apart from legal way? Is it even worth to hire a lawyer for reimbursement of an amount like 450€? Any lawyers you would recommend for such a matter? Will I even get the money back even if I hire a lawyer, any one had such experiences with DHL?

 

Did you pay with Paypal? If so, open a complaint and begin the process. I think your seller is lying.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely ask Ebay?  Isn't there something in Ebay about what you received not matching the seller's description?

 

Surely the sender should be following this up with DHL seeing as they sent it and have the tracking number, etc?

 

Edit:  Ha ha done it again @AlexTr

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

 I think your seller is lying.

Wouldn't be the first time that this is happening, although some delivery guys have been fired for pinching parcels or similar.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Surely ask Ebay?  Isn't there something in Ebay about what you received not matching the seller's description?

 

Surely the sender should be following this up with DHL seeing as they sent it and have the tracking number, etc?

 

Edit:  Ha ha done it again @AlexTr

Oh no its ebay kleinanzeigen not the main ebay website. Its from a private seller. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Wouldn't be the first time that this is happening, although some delivery guys have been fired for pinching parcels or similar.

I guess there is then no way to verify if the seller is lying or not.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no firm way, thats true...

 

But lets think logically...

 

You paid 450€ up front for an item that you saw a picture of on the internet..

 

I bet the advert sounded too good to be true, didnt it?

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, salazartherin said:

I guess there is then no way to verify if the seller is lying or not.

 

What I am saying is that you have paid using a system. This system has rules and methods. It is past time for you to engage this to make all participants in the system do the right thing. If the seller cannot prove to Paypal that he actually had control of the item at some time, i.e., previous purchase records, service records, a contract with a company; they will reimburse your money and go after him. You've done this with a system; now use the system to make sure that you aren't the only loser here.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AlexTr said:

 

What I am saying is that you have paid using a system. This system has rules and methods. It is past time for you to engage this to make all participants in the system do the right thing. If the seller cannot prove to Paypal that he actually had control of the item at some time, i.e., previous purchase records, service records, a contract with a company; they will reimburse your money and go after him. You've done this with a system; now use the system to make sure that you aren't the only loser here.

Well there is no Paypal or Ebay or any such system here, it was a completely private purchase. I paid the seller through a bank transfer. The bank doesn't have the authority anymore to recover the money once sent out. I cannot find out in any way if the seller is being honest or not. That is why I was thinking of going after DHL instead of the seller. The seller looks pretty motivated though to help me in this process. He even suggested me to go to the police. He gave me his address, his phone number so that the police can reach him if needed. And he also sent me pictures of the original product inside the same box that he sent me. He took these pictures before packing the box. So yeah he looks genuine.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

There is no firm way, thats true...

 

But lets think logically...

 

You paid 450€ up front for an item that you saw a picture of on the internet..

 

I bet the advert sounded too good to be true, didnt it?

 

 

 

 

I purchased the item on ebay kleinanzeigen. The seller put up pictures of it and on this website this is pretty normal procedure. People put up pictures and offer a price. The buyer looks at the picture and if he likes it he buys it. I've bought things numerous times before in the same way on this website. Its just this time that things didn't work out. I guess my luck on blinding trusting sellers during every purchase ran out. And well the advert wasn't anything like 'too good to be true'. The pictures looked ok and the price looked ok too. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, salazartherin said:

I purchased the item on ebay kleinanzeigen. The seller put up pictures of it and on this website this is pretty normal procedure. People put up pictures and offer a price. The buyer looks at the picture and if he likes it he buys it. I've bought things numerous times before in the same way on this website. Its just this time that things didn't work out. I guess my luck on blinding trusting sellers during every purchase ran out. And well the advert wasn't anything like 'too good to be true'. The pictures looked ok and the price looked ok too. 

 

Well, then, it's time you called the police. You did not mention ebay-kleinanzeigen in your first post. You merely referenced ebay. That's how the confusion started. You have no choice but to either forget about it or call the police. Good luck getting your money back.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, salazartherin said:

I purchased the item on ebay kleinanzeigen. The seller put up pictures of it and on this website this is pretty normal procedure. People put up pictures and offer a price. The buyer looks at the picture and if he likes it he buys it. I've bought things numerous times before in the same way on this website. Its just this time that things didn't work out. I guess my luck on blinding trusting sellers during every purchase ran out. And well the advert wasn't anything like 'too good to be true'. The pictures looked ok and the price looked ok too. 

Ok... I appologise...

 

I have a smartphone to sell for 450€...

 

What picture would you like me to upload.?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at the seller's eBay Kleinanzeigen profile. What other products is he selling? More smartphones? Then the seller is clearly lying.

I'm also more inclined to believe that the seller's is the conman here.

This is very tricky because nobody in this scenario can prove anything substantially. The seller could have taken a picture of the Phone in the Box, and still sent you the Hardware Junk.

Someone from dhl switching things on the way seems a bit far fetched because that someone either should know that there is an expensive Smartphone in it, or that someone is a habitual thief opening every Second parcel he sees.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AlexTr said:

 

Well, then, it's time you called the police. You did not mention ebay-kleinanzeigen in your first post. You merely referenced ebay. That's how the confusion started. You have no choice but to either forget about it or call the police. Good luck getting your money back.

Would you recommend complaining to the police against the seller or against DHL?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erdmann said:

Take a look at the seller's eBay Kleinanzeigen profile. What other products is he selling? More smartphones? Then the seller is clearly lying.

I'm also more inclined to believe that the seller's is the conman here.

This is very tricky because nobody in this scenario can prove anything substantially. The seller could have taken a picture of the Phone in the Box, and still sent you the Hardware Junk.

Someone from dhl switching things on the way seems a bit far fetched because that someone either should know that there is an expensive Smartphone in it, or that someone is a habitual thief opening every Second parcel he sees.

There are no other products on sale in his profile at the moment. He has put up about 140 adverts until now and he is active on the website since 2011. I wonder how to prevent such cases the next time buying something on kleinanzeigen when the product cant be personally picked up. Is there any way at all to verify if the seller is actually sending the product? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Ok... I appologise...

 

I have a smartphone to sell for 450€...

 

What picture would you like me to upload.?

 

 

Upload clear pictures of the phone from all sides and also of the packaging with the accessories inside.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, salazartherin said:

Would you recommend complaining to the police against the seller or against DHL?

 

The seller because hitting a dead-end there will bring them to DHL.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, salazartherin said:

I wonder how to prevent such cases the next time buying something on kleinanzeigen when the product cant be personally picked up. Is there any way at all to verify if the seller is actually sending the product? 

 

There isn't. That's why the Website has written it clearly to only buy those things that you can personally pick up, and avoid Bank transactions.

 

www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/sicherheitshinweise.html

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Erdmann said.

 

There are also no photographs which could convince me that a box contains what somebody says they put in it... unless the box in transparent.

 

You should also ask yourself - why would somebody steeling a phone from an undelivered parcel replace it with a worthless piece of electronics? They wouldn't. However, somebody wanting to post a non-existent phone would substitute it for something which weighs something to be certain that the postage costs don't reflect the price of sending an empty box.

 

Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. Maybe you can try to sue the guy who has ripped you off but it might be more hassle than it's worth. Definitely report them to eBay.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now