DHL lost my package. Have I any comeback?

42 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Vultch said:

Things do go wrong in life, but its the DHL staff attitude of "not my problem" How are these guys still in business. No effort to track or assist was offered, just "go away" next customer please, this was a main DHL/post office. 

Open this webpage:    https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/dhl-sendungsverfolgung.html

Enter your tracking number and post the result here for analysis, please. 

2 hours ago, Vultch said:

Well, I have another DHL horror story.  On the 1/8/2019 I sent an expensive swiss watch back to Switzerland for some minor work. The parcel was sent with DHL, tracked and insured. It has gone missing.

As suggested earlier it is simple enough to track online where you package is or was last. If it has gone missing as opposed to hanging around waiting for Swiss customs then you can make an insurance claim, details and contact on the DHL website.

What makes me suspicious is that it has now been 21 days in transit, it has travelled up and down Germany visiting some of the same offices twice, once 10 days into its journey it was listed as "failed to deliver", this is within DHL, what does that even mean.

Well - DHL USA has come to the rescue, I gave up trying to contact DHL Germany, unanswered emails and messages, and a telephone line that was constantly engaged. Local DHL offices who offered no assistance or made any attempt to do so.

I used the dhl.com website (US-based) to submit my query and they replied back straight away, after some chasing they have found it. They too are puzzled why it took 18 days to get to Switzerland, it is in customs awaiting clearance which may take a few weeks.

My faith in DHL Germany has gone, it appears to be a poorly run outfit with no effort at customer service or accountability. 

Maybe here is some hope....I ordered something, and the sender said they had given it to DHL to deliver. I used the "Sendungsverfolgung" and, sure enough, there it was. "Elektronisch angekündigt" - and there it stayed...for 6 days. I tried using the "chat" facility to get further information, and a day later got an email with a new delivery date. New delivery date came and went, back to Sendungsverfolgung...aha, now in a DHL depot in Speyer. It stayed there for a few more days, then arrived in Rüdersdorf depot in Berlin, stayed another couple of days until I finally received it last week ...more than 2 weeks late.

There was a recent article in the Tagesspiegel, in fact, saying that all delivery firms, DHL in particular, were having problems coping with the increasing volume of mail-order stuff.

Increased business may well be an issue but its the staff attitude of "not my problem" DPD and Hermes seem much more reliable and approachable. With DPD I can track my package using their web app showing a map and a rough ETA.

I suspect the pay is pretty poor but if they continue to treat customers like this their business will suffer. The German web page is a hoot for private customers, it just takes you around in circles offering no solution. If I had to try to claim on the insurance I am sure that's a nightmare also.

1 hour ago, Vultch said:

Increased business may well be an issue but its the staff attitude of "not my problem" DPD and Hermes seem much more reliable and approachable. With DPD I can track my package using their web app showing a map and a rough ETA.

I suspect the pay is pretty poor but if they continue to treat customers like this their business will suffer. The German web page is a hoot for private customers, it just takes you around in circles offering no solution. If I had to try to claim on the insurance I am sure that's a nightmare also.

Not sure there is much between all of them! Hermes dump all their packages in our not particularly secure hall where the post boxes are and the DPD ETA is a joke, always at least 2 days late. Same problems with Fedex and UPS except they are more expensive. As far as I am aware all, even main, post offices purely act as agents for DHL, they do not have actual DHL employees.

I take it back, €13 to €17 per hours is quite good as a wage, so why the shitty attitude at DHL counters.

On 8/21/2019, 1:38:57, Vultch said:

On the 1/8/2019 I sent an expensive swiss watch back to Switzerland for some minor work.

I don´t want to sound like an asshole, but why did you send an expensive swiss watch to Switzerland by courier in the first place. You live in Stuttgart, so it´s not like you have to cross the globe to get to CH. Take a train or drive and drop it off personally.

I paid €30 to send a small packet with insurance, it weighs 800g,  they are now trying to blame the Swiss courier company they use and have told me it not their problem. They are refuting my insurance claim.

p.s. when it arrived in Switzerland DHL contracted out the delivery to an economy courier, trying to save some cash I guess.

On 9/6/2019, 1:51:38, aries6 said:

I don´t want to sound like an asshole, but why did you send an expensive swiss watch to Switzerland by courier in the first place. You live in Stuttgart, so it´s not like you have to cross the globe to get to CH. Take a train or drive and drop it off personally.

Why would someone go on a 2 day trip to deliver an item personally if there is something like sending a parcel available? Its a 4 hour tripto Bern one way. If it is at the far end of Switzerland even longer. 

On 9/13/2019, 5:05:20, Vultch said:

I paid €30 to send a small packet with insurance, it weighs 800g,  they are now trying to blame the Swiss courier company they use and have told me it not their problem. They are refuting my insurance claim.

p.s. when it arrived in Switzerland DHL contracted out the delivery to an economy courier, trying to save some cash I guess.

How much was it insured for?

In what way have you initiated your insurance claim?

DHL only offer one tariff the max amount it can be insured for is 500 Euro, to initiate a claim it has to be done by telephone, I am trying but I keep getting passed from department to department, the last individual stated it was not DHLs fault but the courier they used and to sue them.

Apart from 2 staff members who could not help the general attitude of DHL is tough, not my problem, go away.

From what I can find out, they gave my parcel to a Die Post (Swiss?) on an economy tariff ... 

Thanks for that link, My German is not great and I have been smailing DHL via email address provided by both DHL UK and DHL USA to no avail, all I was getting was an automated reply stating we will look into it.

Using your link I have submitted another request.

Ona further note. DHL has insisted that the package was stuck for nearly 4 weeks now at Swiss Customs. I wrote last week to the Swiss authorities giving the tracking number and other information. They replied very promptly stating it never arrived in Switzerland they have no record of such delivery.