DHL lost my package. Have I any comeback?

42 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I'm just looking for some feedback on this upsetting situation.

I offered a friend back home in Ireland an old item of electronics (which I'm no longer using) as gift.

I sent it off to her a few weeks back. It got sent back to me by the postal service as it contained a lithium-ion battery. I had forgotten about the new legalisation at the time of sending.

I later discover her sister is flying back to Ireland from Germany (Munich) soon after. I offer to send it to the sister instead (from NRW). The sister can then pass it on later...

I acquired a suitably sized container to put the item into and printed out the destination and sender address clearly with the help of my computer.

I went to Deutschepost/DHL office and went to send it.

Despite it having a perfectly clear and triple-checked address label already, the lady at the till insists upon using a DHL label where I must write by hand the addressed into a tiny-area?? The new label is attached over the old one (which one could always peel back and check if there was ever any doubt about where it was destined).

I pay for sending. I declined the insurance as the item itself is not worth an incredible amount of money (about 50 euro second hand) and why should DHL lose/mis-deliver it anyway?  Afterwards, it dawns on me that I never got a tracking number. I retained the receipt of payment. 

Of course, the item never arrives.

To cut to the chase, I've been back to the DHL office and filled out a 'Nachforschungauftrag' (search-request) form.  This was about 2 weeks ago. No update at all since.

I've also sent an online complaint to DHL about this in the meantime. The response I got earlier was basically that there is nothing they can do. No refund can be issue either. 

I feel a little cheated by this. Am i really expected to pay DHL a premium for their word that they'll deliver the item or failing that refund me?

Thanks.

Bill.

P.S mods, please move this post to another forum if appropriate. 

In order to get anywhere you need a tracking number. When you say you didn't get a tracking number are you sure?

It's normally printed on what looks like a cash register receipt and around 10 digits long.

I also find the insurance thing a little strange as all parcels (Paket) sent within DE or EU are automatically sent 'Premium' which is quick (Air Mail), trackable and insured up to a max of €500.

Ahh, was yours a Paket, or maybe Päckchen or even letter class?

If not a Paket then I believe you have no tracking and no comeback.

What was the weight of your item and can you say if it was Paket, Päckchen or Brief?

Malty

Hi Matty

Thanks for writing back to me.

The only string of of numbers on the receipt is their tax number.

Mine was a Päckchen

The actual item itself is about 250 grammes. With a USB stick, the old newspaper to pad it and the cardboard packaging I sent it in, I'd reckon it came to about 350g in total. Perhaps a little less. 

Bill

Ok, thanks for filling me in. 

I'll think twice about using DHL in future. They're only being paid to deliver items. I'd reckon in my case the Assi driver just flung it over a garden wall. 

You choose at the counter. Both a Päckchen ane the smallest Paket size are under 2 kg, but as I mentioned, the Päckchen is neither tracked by number nor insured.

Don't give up hope on the Nachforschungsantrag. It might turn up eventually.

Sadly you don't have too much choice when it comes to alternatives.

OK, so within DE you can use GLS, DPD or Hermes but I think that's it. FedEx, TNT & UPS will only accept business accounts.

For me where I live in Erding DHL are absolutely the best option for accepting deliveries, but when it comes to using them for sending I only wish I could use someone else, but I can't, they have a monopoly in my case.

Let me explain:

Once each year I organise what is arguably the best whisky competition in the world's annual calendar. All distilleries, bottlers and major outlets world-wide are invited to send bottles for the competition and I accept up to a total of 200 entries which are usually mostly delivered by DHL, DHL-Express & TNT, with just an odd few coming via FedEx or occasionally UPS.

My main problems occur when it comes to me sending the boxes of samples world-wide to our judges. This is a one-off event each year and usually results in a total postage cost in the range of €1100-€1300.

After various problems with DHL I tried to find an alternative but was told by GLS & DPD that I could only send outside of DE to EU after I'd sent at least 10 parcels within DE to build up a reputation with them. If I wanted to use them to send further afield (my parcels go to USA & Asia each year) then I would have to do considerable business within DE & EU before they'd allow me to do so.

For sending these parcels I'd love to use an alternative to DHL but I'm just not allowed to.

To give you an example of a problem last year I had two parcels to go to India and took them to a local Post Office where they were checked in and I was given all tracking info. Together the postage for the two parcels exceeded €300. When I got home I checked the tracking number and was surprised to see the status showed one parcel already on its way to Paraguay!

I went back the next day to complain and they showed me my exact parcel still sitting there. I'd missed the pick-up for that day and it would go later 'today'.

To cut a long story short it seems the impossible had happened and 'the system' had assigned two totally different parcels with the same ID / tracking number.

My parcel did eventually arrive but took at least two weeks longer than expected and then only after I initiated an official search within DHL.

All my parcels are sent Paket / Premium which means Air Freight, trackable & insured up to €500 but on the occasions when something has been broken in transit they have always refused to pay out!

2 hours ago, handsomeBill said:

Thanks El Jeffo i can't recall ever being offered that choice. Que sera sera.

From your first post, they did offer you  a choice to have it insured?

Hope it turns up.

Hi guys 

basically all I'm looking for is an English contract from Dhl  paket. For the last few weeks I have been unable to obtain same.

the facts in short:

my sister sent my MacBook from Germany to Italy. The MacBook was returned due because the address was not valid. There is nothing wrong with the address. My telephone number was also clearly visible on the package but yet nobody from the local partner SDA attempted to make telephone contact with myself.

Questions: 

Am I able to claim for the shipping ? €47 plus €10 when the machine was returned to my sister today ? Obviously I would like to send the machine again. This time with Dhl express of course. 

would it be possible to claim for loss of income for this period? 

Well, I have another DHL horror story.  On the 1/8/2019 I sent an expensive swiss watch back to Switzerland for some minor work. The parcel was sent with DHL, tracked and insured. It has gone missing.

The staff at the sending office just shrug when I ask where it is, they say not their problem, they told me to go to the local main office. I went today and again, no help, I asked politly if I could speak to a manager and I was told they have no managers, then she told me the manager was out. I inquired when the manager would return when she asked me to leave the store, I was polite but firm.

The package was well-packaged and labelled, in fact, two address labels printed.

I went to the local police, they were helpful and told me to contact the DHL fraud office, they told me if the item has been stolen they will look into getting involved. Now the watch is a smartwatch and it connects to the internet via a phone app, I have asked the manufacturer if it has suddenly popped up online again if so then it has been stolen.

I suspect DHL staff are paid peanuts and really do not give a monkey, my local post guy is fantastic and goes out of his way to help but their depots are hopeless, the moral, never DHL again.

Good that the police were helpful. Hope you get your watch back!

I sent a parcel with car parts to the US and for 3 weeks the location did not change.

I "contacted" them via https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/hilfe-kundenservice/sendungsverfolgung/probleme-loesungen.html

The nasty thing is, that you don't get a telphone number and nobody called me. I had to send files with my complaints.

(After three weeks my parcel appered. Possibly stuck at the customs.)

Things do go wrong in life, but its the DHL staff attitude of "not my problem" How are these guys still in business. No effort to track or assist was offered, just "go away" next customer please, this was a main DHL/post office.