AirBnB : how to declare rental income

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I love this forum and all the great wisdom it provides, so I am asking you guys this new question.

This is not about the recent Berlin airbnb changes : I know those regulation and I would like to rent the extra room in the flat where I live, legally.

And while the question might sound silly, it's simply : how to declare that income, technically? 

I have been working employed and never did any tax declaration, never been to a steuerberater before (I did freelance with some invoices but was always below the taxing threshold).

Should I start doing tax declarations only to rent out a room?

Or is there a minimum threshold that if I stay within is tax free... ?

Or... ? 

Thank you El, so should one submit that form to a steuerberater, send it to the tax authority at the end of the year, or.. ? 

If you work with an accountant, you can either fill it out yourself or have the accountant do it, based on the info you provide.

Thank you, do you know at which rate the income will be taxed (on top of Airbnb's fees) ? 

Rental income in Germany is taxed progressively. That means that the rate depends on your total income. 

Taken from Wikipedia:

No income tax is charged on the basic allowance, which is €8,354 for unmarried persons and €16,708 for jointly assessed married couples. Beyond this threshold, the marginal tax rate increases linearly from 14% to 24% for a taxable income of €13,469 (€26,938 for married couples). In the subsequent interval up to a taxable income of €52,881 (€105,762 for married couples), the marginal tax rate increases linearly from 24% to 42%. The last change of rates occurs at a taxable income of €250,730 (€501,460 for married couples) when the marginal tax rate jumps from 42% to 45%. 

Thank you Smaug.

I understand... Maybe :).

So basically that means that if my income is in X bracket, then all income from Airbnb will be taxed at X bracket's rate.

Unless, of course, Airbnb's income takes me to the next bracket, in which case it will be taxed at the higher percentage rate.

Is that correct? 

Also, can the fees be deducted?

19 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Yes and yes.

Thank you so much!

Feel free to write me when you're in Berlin and beer is on me

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Where's mine? :lol:

LOL good point, I work near Alexanderplatz, gladly a lunch or beer after work :)

What about MWST? There is a MWST registration threshold of 17.5K Euros, which most people would never exceed, unless they were renting an apartment professionally the whole year in an expensive area. However, as a freelancer I am already registered for MWST from my freelance income. If I rent out a room, should I charge MWST to AirBNB guests, or is the MWST part per income source which generates >17.5K Euros a year?

On 10/6/2016, 2:51:10, lux7 said:

Thank you Smaug.

I understand... Maybe :).

So basically that means that if my income is in X bracket, then all income from Airbnb will be taxed at X bracket's rate.

Unless, of course, Airbnb's income takes me to the next bracket, in which case it will be taxed at the higher percentage rate.

Is that correct? 

Also, can the fees be deducted?

I would say it's worse than that. As far as I can work it out, around every 2.5K (I am sure someone knows the exact figure) in income increases the income tax rate by 1% on your TOTAL taxable income. So lets say you paid tax on 50K Euros (after personal allowances). One percent is 500 Euros. If I now earn 52501 Euros, then I get another 2.5K in gross income. However, that 1% addition on 50K is 500 Euros. Lets say the overall rate went from 29% to 30% (I make up the rates, as the actual depends on the figure you earn). That 2.5K increase costs me 30% of the 2.5K (750 Euros) plus an additional 500 Euros on the 50K I was already earning, some 1250 Euros in total. In effect my tax rate for that extra income is 50%.

Equally for deductions, which work in the other direction, a 2.5K deduction can result in a lower tax rate, overall, if it shifts you a 1% tax bracket.

25 minutes ago, scook17 said:

What about MWST? There is a MWST registration threshold of 17.5K Euros, which most people would never exceed, unless they were renting an apartment professionally the whole year in an expensive area. However, as a freelancer I am already registered for MWST from my freelance income. If I rent out a room, should I charge MWST to AirBNB guests, or is the MWST part per income source which generates >17.5K Euros a year?

Actually, I found my answer here:

https://www.haufe.de/steuern/kanzlei-co/steuerliche-aspekte-der-kurzfristigen-untervermietung_170_207450.html

Answer: Yes, all business income is added together, so you exceed 17.5K and must charge 7% MWST in Germany, the same as the hotels do.