Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Police take model railway from homeless

15 posts in this topic

Sure, perhaps he took too much space, but it's an action I might understand only if the police had taken care of all the higher priority problem first

http://www.fnp.de/lokales/frankfurt/Eisenbahn-Reiner-Stadt-rudert-zurueck;art675,2215546

Es war schon mal größer, aber dann haben Stadtpolizisten am vergangenen Donnerstag Reiners Eisenbahn und weitere Spielsachen beschlagnahmt. Weil er keine Sondernutzungserlaubnis vorweisen konnte. Die Spielsachen breitete der Obdachlose schon seit sechs Jahren in der Liebfrauenstraße aus in der Hoffnung auf milde Gaben. Zwar hatte die Ordnungshüter ihn mehrmals darauf hingewiesen, dass er zu viel Platz in Anspruch nehme und mit Konsequenzen gedroht.

In a city where (*) there are tens of dope dealers on the stairs at the HBF , or where bullies go with their mopeds on pedestrian/bike lanes (and shout back aggressively if one complains), or people park freely at bus/tram stops, was Eisenbahn Reiner somebody to take care of right now? I don't think so

(*) Just some random examples

Calm down. Stadtpolizei is not police. It's a city order service which is normally known as Ordnungsamt and their task is exactly to deal with offenses not important for real police: dog poo, parking tickets etc.

I stand corrected and remove the dope dealers from my list.
Still, the Stadtpolizei does not much to prevent wild parking around the HBF, or in front of the shops in Münchener Str. for example.

20 minutes ago, barbett said:

I stand corrected and remove the dope dealers from my list.
Still, the Stadtpolizei does not much to prevent wild parking around the HBF, or in front of the shops in Münchener Str. for example.

There's an almost constant presence of police there though. I am not sure what it is they do. They just seem to observe the scores of marginalized people hanging around the subway's entrance in the Kaiserstrasse. They just seem to be waiting for a chance to pounce on one of them and do a dope-bust.

35 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Calm down. Stadtpolizei is not police. It's a city order service which is normally known as Ordnungsamt and their task is exactly to deal with offenses not important for real police: dog poo, parking tickets etc.

While usually concentrating 100% on Parking tickles and other way to generate revenue...

I have not seen or heard of one ticket given out for dog shit...

After being here for over 6 years, I am amazed at how totally useless the police here are.  Whether you call them Stadtpolizei, Bundespolizei or whatever, they seem to specialize in standing around, or driving around, and doing nothing.  I've seen cars go through red lights and stop signs while the polizei drive by and make no effort to get them.

55 minutes ago, garyh911 said:

After being here for over 6 years, I am amazed at how totally useless the police here are.  Whether you call them Stadtpolizei, Bundespolizei or whatever, they seem to specialize in standing around, or driving around, and doing nothing.  I've seen cars go through red lights and stop signs while the polizei drive by and make no effort to get them.

And in holy America I haven't seen even a one car sticking to speed limit. Even on motorways with signs "speed limit controlled by radar" no single car was sticking to speed limit, so I assume these signs were fake and everyone knew it. Should I hysterically say "police is useless in America!!!" No, because every country has its own law enforcement tolerance. Some laws are enforced strictly, some are more lax.

Even in chaotic Italy (in comparison to Germany) there is actually order on the roads, it just looks different. That's it.

41 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Even in chaotic Italy (in comparison to Germany) there is actually order on the roads, it just looks different. That's it.

Yes, when I was in Naples I learned that traffic lights are meant for tourists.

3 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Nah! It's just that there they mean the opposite as everywhere else!

The wife has been following the story.  Apparently the press is going mad about the whole thing.  They are saying that the Ordnungsamt stole his things. I've seen the man.  Instead of outright begging, he displays these toys and has a bowl for donations.  I wonder if at the same time, the filth picked up the dozens of beggars or the ones set up with their beds in doorways or the bible-pushers.

3 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Naples is extreme even by Italian standards. I rather meant Rome or Florence.

5 hours ago, garyh911 said:

I've seen cars go through red lights and stop signs while the polizei drive by and make no effort to get them.

In my experience they are very strict.

I've been chased by the cops more than once for jumping a light on my bike (not motorbike).

I've even been yelled at (again by the cops) for crossing a road that was closed to traffic with barriers because the light was red. 

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Made me laugh, Luke ! We´re not far from a small Greek town called Napoli and traffic lights are not even for tourists..they´re for no one!!! No amber bit in the middle either!!:lol:

My uncle picked me up from the airport in his old Ford Fiesta with two extra locks and alarm. One lock was similar to the lock of the car Mr. Bean drives. When my uncle wanted to go to the left, he put his arm out and he already ignored several red lights. He noticed that I didn't feel comfortable in the car, but he said not to worry  ^_^.

13 hours ago, john g. said:

Made me laugh, Luke ! We´re not far from a small Greek town called Napoli and traffic lights are not even for tourists..they´re for no one!!! No amber bit in the middle either!!:lol:

They do follow the traffic lights in Heraklion, though. One cop car turned blue light and siren on and then turned left on red light. And then there was me trying to cross the road on my green. I saw a cop car and stopped: maybe they had some important Einsatz, I thought. The cop car with blue light on stopped and let me cross the road. My Germany integrated brain exploded: they went through red light but stopped to let a pedestrian pass.

That was the only car which let the pedestrian pass on the whole island, though.