Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Germany is not fab

89 posts in this topic

In addition dogs are welcome almost every were.

This is one of the things that I really have a problem with in Germany and Switzerland. I like dogs but have an allergy to them and really don't like them in restaurants, or near food. Yesterday, we were out enjoying a meal and the family a few tables away had their dog and it kept coming up to my table and sniffing around. The family just didn't care.

I recently had a big dilema with a friend who insisted on bringing her dog with her when we went to restaurants. It is hard for dog owners to sometimes understand that their beloved pets can cause problems for others. But not everyone enjoys having dogs at the dinner table, and if you have an allergy, then it can really ruin a meal.

if you have an allergy, then it can really ruin a meal

I have the same problem with small children :D

In reply to the messages been sent,I would like to say that Germany the same as UK;has its bad sides ,as well as it good,the main thing is ,what you make of it.I´v been a resident here in BRD for 22 years,since Feddie Laker packed up,and I must admit what really gets up my nose is the fact that in winter,I have to clear the divvy snow away outside the front door ,so that some silly arse wont break his neck,and sue me for 50 million euros.

The neighbours of mine are mostly pensioners,and must be bored to the eyeballs,as they seem to wait for the first flake of snow to fall,they just cant wait for it to snow! but as I said life is what you make it,but I´ll never get used to it though,greetings to all expats.

:doh:

I split these posts away from the Germany is fab topic because the topic was originally about the good things in Germany. We had a topic running along the lines of critisising Germany, it ran into 9 pages and has since been closed because of ill feelings it caused.

@ablehalle: I have just one question for you. If you don't like Germany then why the hell don't you just go back to where you came from?

i must admit we take our dog to restaurants but it stays under our table and lies down.

I dont like kids/dogs coming to our table when we are in a restaurant, i taught our kids not to do so and stay sitting at our table. it is terrible when the parents on other tables let their kids run wild and not say a thing only laugh when their kids do this sort of thing.

the other thing is what is right taking a dog or taking some of these kids into a restaurant, some kids are worse behaved than dogs :D

what really bugs me though is some twat on the table next to ours puffing his ciggy smoke in our direction as not to upset their guests. As a non smoker i hate people smoking on our table when i am eating, but all of our friends do know this and wait until i am finished.

@Goldilocks: Nice first post! :ph34r:

Some of us are here in Germany from a complicated set of events: marriage, work, family, etc. Personally, I can't just jump on a plane and go back to the UK. There are plenty of things in Germany that get right on my nerves - but I lump it!

Ditto the UK...

Letting off steam in the britboard and finding out that other people have similar, if not worse, problems makes it just a little bit better! Isn't that one of the main points of the board - brits and how to deal with life in germany?

EVERY country has it's long list of plus or minus points depending on your personal situation.

It's about day 3 of campaigning for the general election in the UK and I'm already fed up of watching the news, so I'd rather be here at the moment! :ph34r:

agree with alien, nice post that goldilocks. :ph34r:

I have been here for 30 years now and i also say if you dont like it go elsewhere. You are not forced to be here.

with me it's Germans

Am I the only one who thought that ablehalle was trying to be amusing :unsure:

Uh Ablehalle, you were weren't you!! :o

Dear Alien, I can understand your point of view totally. Nevertheless, a lot of the posts are not just lettin' of steam but outright under the belt (as we Krauts say) and not really necessary. I am sure that if we had a board "what do Germans think abouth Brits living in Germany", there would be many posts of people complaining about the Brits. We are two different nationalities, so two different cultures. I personally like the British sense of humour, a lot of the food, and the British (and Irish) attidude towards children, the are far more children-friendly than the Germans.

no i thought ablehalle was being funny too...

Golilocks that is true some of the comments are under the belt. some things are better left off the board but Mack has already said we had problems with this sort of threads...

with me it's Germans
@ablehalle: I have just one question for you. If you don't like Germany then why the hell don't you just go back to where you came from?

I personally like the British sense of humour

Hi Goldilocks, welcome to the board!

Come on, lighten up! If you really like the british sense of humour, you would have noticed a mile off that ablehalles' remarks shows all the hallmarks of the humour you like so much... :rolleyes:

the atmosphere is bubbling a bit in this thread! Let's just move on. We all have likes and dislikes about places - no need to get aggressive.

Out of interest - are there a lot of Germans on this board or mainly Brits?

I have to say that most of the things I find less than fab about Germany also bother many of my German friends. Half of them think that Germany is designed in a such a way to make everyone's life, and everything, more difficult - I can see what they mean sometimes.

I think the main reason that people let off steam here is that the way systems (be it health, insurance, legal, property, whatever) work here is incredibly difficult to understand, which naturally leads to frustration.

the atmosphere is bubbling a bit in this thread!

Nah, not even near simmering :P , you are obviously quite new here, maybe you should look back at some of the older threads, some of them are quite vicious..

britboard

A few germans, but mainly Brits, everyone's welcome,

I don't see how saying I have an allergy to dogs is being anti-German

I don't like it if there are rowdy kids running around either but for me, the difference between a dog and rowdy kids is that I have difficulty breathing if there is a dog at the next table. I am allergic to feathers too, and the boyf has had to change all his expensive feather-filled bedding. Not allergic to cats though, so if anyone wants to either stuff my bedding with cat hair or bring your cat to dinner, then you are more than welcome...

My German other half has suggested that if I am out and a dog owner comes to sit at the next table, I politely explain the situation. I have done this a couple of times now (felt uncomfortable doing it though), and the dog owners in question have all understood and sat a few tables away. I guess it is a matter of being more assertive than I am used to!

Is Germany fab ?

If you have a nice family, successful business, great house with views of mountains and lakes and a large BMW. And you're sitting in your garden, in bright sunshine, drinking a nicely chilled beer after just having shagged your children's nanny. Then life in Germany is probably fab.

However if you're unemployed, living in Halle Neustadt, got a drink problem and your wife has just left you. Then life in Germany stinks.

I belong to the first group. But I can still whinge and wind people up if I want.

@Goldilocks

No sonner are you down the road

than Goldilocks, that little toad

That nosey thieving little louse

Comes sneaking in your empty house

Ronald Dahl