Can't find a home to rent in Lüneburg

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

For the pass few months, my husband (German) and I (non German) have been struggling to find a house to rent in Lüneburg for a family of our size. We have 4 kids (ages 6, 4, 1 & 1) and we keep getting turned away before we even get to view a house. And I'm talking about houses with 5 rooms and above! They say we are to large a family for the size of the house and we should look elsewhere. Like where?? My husband has a fantastic job in Lüneburg so whe have been looking in the town itself plus the surrounding villages. For the pass 6 months we've been living in his aunts basement which is in Munster (40 minutes commute!) and it's getting pretty cramped to say the least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We don't know what else to do next to actually buying a house which we can't afford just yet. 

Thanks in advance...

38 minutes ago, YomiIshak said:

My husband has a fantastic job in Lüneburg

Has he tried asking his employer for assistance? Did you just move to Germany? 

We moved here in February this year but my husband only got a job 3 months ago. his boss did introduce us to his realtor but the guy has never gotten back to us on any houses! It's obviously not worth it for him as we just want to rent. 

Although landlords here like to have long term renters in their flats/houses,  many will be turned off by  a family with  several children. Sad, but  often true, whatever their reasons.

Have you been searching on local newspaper , local ads etc?  ( Apologies- I am sure you have)Tried another Makler?

Ask your partner's boss to call his Makler again-   put pressure on the Makler.  You have   advantages of a job,  financial security, etc.

Maybe the Aunt  can help by asking around?

Thanks and we've done that. Althoug we haven't asked the boss to call the Makler because it doesn't feel right to do so. He passed us the number, we've called and inquired several times but I think he knows it won't be easy for us. But yes will look for another one. 

18 hours ago, YomiIshak said:

We moved here in February this year but my husband only got a job 3 months ago.

Is your husband still in his Probezeit? I suspect prospective landlords are concerned that if your husband's contract is terminated,  you won't be able to afford the rent.

Do you have someone who can co-sign a lease? 

21 hours ago, YomiIshak said:

Althoug we haven't asked the boss to call the Makler because it doesn't feel right to do so.

If you are desperate you will have to swallow the "doesn't feel right to do so" part.

Engelchen, no he is not as of this month. His boss has written a letter to an owner for our behalf but their reasoning is our size family...

HEM, his boss has written a letter, has introduced us to a Makler, has spoken to one owner he knew but nothing came out of it. We can't ask him for more as we feel he's done enough. We are getting rejected because of our size family. He can't help us with that. 

Have you tried placing an advertisement in the paper?  You need to emphasize all your positive points.  Stable income, no pets, don't smoke, responsible family, references (if you have any) etc. . Although I can imagine why it might be difficult to find something, perhaps this way might bring out Landlords who are reluctant to advertise themselves.  We found a house to rent this way.  We were fortunate and we avoided Makler fees.  Mind you it hasn't always been pleasant sailing with the owner of the property but that's another story.

On the other hand, if you don't have any success with an advertisement of your own.  Get yourself in contact with all the Maklers in your area.  They should be keen to make some money.  I assume they still charge the ridiculous Makler fees of 2-3 months rent?

Thanks Yarra, we will definitely advertise in the newspaper. I feel like if they just got to know us, then it wouldn't be a problem. But definitely a great suggestion. My husband's also going to try all the maklers in the area tomorrow but we don't have much hope in that. Not sure how much they charge yet. 

12 minutes ago, YomiIshak said:

My husband's also going to try all the maklers in the area tomorrow but we don't have much hope in that. Not sure how much they charge yet. 

CAUTION!

Your husband should beware of the fact that, even under the new legislation (which was intended to shift the liability to pay the Makler's commission (2 x nett rent + VAT = 2,38 x Kaltmiete) from tenants to landlords), the Bestellerprinzip still applies. The Bestellerprinzip means that whoever orders a good or service is liable to pay for it.

Therefore, if your husband (even verbally) authorizes by agreement more than one Makler to find a suitable rental property he could possibly be held liable for loss of provision by any Makler whose offer he rejects, provided that offer meets his requirements. That's a risk which could potentially create a major financial and legal headache!

IMO he should limit his initial inquiries to asking what offers they have available on their books right now. Only if, after contacting all of them, no suitable properties are offered for consideration should he then contemplate engaging one of them to find a suitable property with a landlord willing to accept you as tenants.

2B

Have you tried looking on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de?  Many private owners will advertise on there.  We just found a house that way but there are only 2 of us.