Black powder weapons - licence needed?

8 posts in this topic

It was recently mentioned to me that following a piece of legislation passed some years ago, that black-powder guns - specifically modern replicas of historical muskets - are not classed as weapons and that as such, a licence is not needed - only some sort of agreed/demonstrable competence. Would this be a case for the the "kleinwaffenshein" since it would in effect be a blank-firer?

I will be speaking my local police at some point in the future but I thought I would ask the hive-mind in the first instance.

Thanks in advance,

Taff

A relative of mine had all sorts of licenses, and also collected and fired historical muskets.

His answer: "If you just want to *have* a replica musket to display, no permit needed. Unlike other weapons, you don't need to get it plugged etc.To load and *fire* a historical musket, even with a blank charge, you need a Schwarzpulverschein, requiring a specific course and proof of why you want/need it. No idea if an archeologist could prove a need - perhaps research?"

My two cents - no way a kleiner Waffenschein will cover that.

4 hours ago, Taffthedigger said:

It was recently mentioned to me that following a piece of legislation passed some years ago, that black-powder guns - specifically modern replicas of historical muskets - are not classed as weapons and that as such, a licence is not needed - only some sort of agreed/demonstrable competence. Would this be a case for the the "kleinwaffenshein" since it would in effect be a blank-firer?

I will be speaking my local police at some point in the future but I thought I would ask the hive-mind in the first instance.

Thanks in advance,

Taff

Fortunately you can now find the legislation in English translation format.

Weapons Act (WaffG) Index (English)            Weapons Act (WaffG) Full Text (English)

Before you do speak to your local police I recommend you study the definitions section carefully and learn the precise words you intend to discuss as they are shown in the original German WaffG

A quick browse through the Act suggests using care with words like replica as it may not mean to them what it means to you.

Quick Tip: Go to Annex 2 Part 2 Chapter 2 Forms of handling not requiring a license

Use your browser Find and look for the phrase 'developed before 1 January 1871'

That will verify more or less what Metall's relative said about license free acquisition and possession. You'd need to go through the Act, with a bit more diligence than I'm prepared to, to find out what you'd need to do, or where you'd need to go, to qualify to be allowed to fire such a weapon though. I also don't think a minor firearms license (kleiner Waffenschein) would cover the use of such an item.

2B

15 hours ago, Metall said:

A relative of mine had all sorts of licenses, and also collected and fired historical muskets.

His answer: "If you just want to *have* a replica musket to display, no permit needed. Unlike other weapons, you don't need to get it plugged etc.To load and *fire* a historical musket, even with a blank charge, you need a Schwarzpulverschein, requiring a specific course and proof of why you want/need it. No idea if an archeologist could prove a need - perhaps research?"

My two cents - no way a kleiner Waffenschein will cover that.

Thank you Metall for your reply. Partly it is for my tour guiding work - I am trying to get more into military history tours. Plan is to have a spot somewhere (not of course a public area) where punters could feel the weight of it (not charge and fire it!) and try and try on the kit etc. Partly because I am looking at doing a post-grad in battlefield archaeology.. so yes, it would fall under research. Back in the UK I was heavily involved in the re-enactment scene for many years but gave it up when I moved here. Now that I am settled, this is something I am considering getting back into - so 3 reasons.

There's quite a scene for reenactment of the Napoleonic era in Germany, I could PM you a contact. :)

15 hours ago, Metall said:
13 minutes ago, Metall said:

There's quite a scene for reenactment of the Napoleonic era in Germany, I could PM you a contact. :)

Much as i would love to reenact the assault on Regensburg, I was thinking more along the lines of the 30 Years War. I am not a Jock but right now I am researching Scottish mercenaries in Swedish service in this period. They were in Munich on occupation duty for a time

11 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Fortunately you can now find the legislation in English translation format.

Weapons Act (WaffG) Index (English)            Weapons Act (WaffG) Full Text (English)

Before you do speak to your local police I recommend you study the definitions section carefully and learn the precise words you intend to discuss as they are shown in the original German WaffG

A quick browse through the Act suggests using care with words like replica as it may not mean to them what it means to you.

Quick Tip: Go to Annex 2 Part 2 Chapter 2 Forms of handling not requiring a license

Use your browser Find and look for the phrase 'developed before 1 January 1871'

That will verify more or less what Metall's relative said about license free acquisition and possession. You'd need to go through the Act, with a bit more diligence than I'm prepared to, to find out what you'd need to do, or where you'd need to go, to qualify to be allowed to fire such a weapon though. I also don't think a minor firearms license (kleiner Waffenschein) would cover the use of such an item.

2B

Thank you for your very useful post. I need to go through with my nit comb :-)

1 hour ago, Taffthedigger said:

Thank you Metall for your reply. Partly it is for my tour guiding work - I am trying to get more into military history tours. Plan is to have a spot somewhere (not of course a public area) where punters could feel the weight of it (not charge and fire it!) and try and try on the kit etc.

I know there's a shooting range near Tegernsee where historical muskets can be fired (indoors).

Quite a boom. :D