Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Donations for a longterm TT member

29 posts in this topic

People have been really nice, and we also got a couple of contributions!

I can confirm that this is a beloved member and that this isn't some kind of scam. 

54 minutes ago, Guest said:

I can confirm that this is a beloved member and that this isn't some kind of scam. 

True, jay, and it was Metall´s post that convinced me all was kosher anyway. I trust Metall´s judgement. Mind you , this Donald Trump geezer...has he really been on TT for 10 years?:lol:

I know that I am going to get battered to bitz...

I know the TTer too... They personally asked me.. but I had to decline...

Last time I loaned them Money... I chased and chased for a year to get the loan back!! ... 

So.. I have offered my friends info, so they can move forward with a possible accommodation solution... ( she is a multi-millionare...)... She hasnt had any contact request...

When my ex found work at the other end of Germany... The arbeitsamt paid for all of the costs...

Sorry that my Soft bollox card has expired and I wish him luck... But I do feel he will be back in de sooner rather than later!

"Once bitten"... and all that...

When one is down, one certainly means to pay it back when things get better. Things don't always get better just because we want them to, though. 

I have heard many stories of the job center not wanting to help people who are relocating for work in other countries. While I respect spidey's take on this, my modest contribution stands. 

@Metall's first post clearly states to not to think of it as giving a loan, I'm happy to contribute some small funds to help out.

One should not be expected to give though, as it is a personal choice.  Nor need one explain themselves on their decision.

I'm with jay and sly on this one. It's just a whip-round to help a fellow ex-pat out, no strings attached.

Hard times come, sometimes through our own subconsciousness undermining things, sometimes just through plain old bad luck and the best of all intentions go awry...

I figure out how much money I can afford to kiss goodbye, and then hand it over.  If it's repaid, so much the better.  But once I've given the money it's no longer mine, and I forget about it.

I've worked all over the world. In some towns in Sicily, patrons of those little cafes will pay for extra espressos.

They are then given to unemployed so they get to sit with a coffee and be among people, too.

This kind of paying forward, giving away freely is quite common in poorer areas.

No, I don't know if our friend's job will work out.

He could have simply continued sitting at home, doing nothing on the dole - but he's trying a new thing.

Any change is a risk!

8 hours ago, Guest said:

I have heard many stories of the job center not wanting to help people who are relocating for work in other countries.

Which is exactly the case here.

5 hours ago, Perfect Poise said:

I'm not expecting anything back. I just put myself in his shoes. I'm privileged to have plenty of work at the moment, but it could easily be me one day soon. And I would hate to have to ask for help, I'm far too stubborn and proud.

Cripes, when I put myself in his shoes, I would be living in a shelter in the woods, eating berries and hiding from people. To be able to keep your act in gear to the point of getting another job and moving abroad in that situation is so impressive, I'm really happy to join the dodgy scheme.

It is like gambling - you have no idea if what you give is going in the end to bring a reward (in this case, in someone else's life) but if you only put in what you are OK to lose, then you can hope for the best for that person with equanimity.

In SP's case it doesn't work that way, which is also fine. There are plenty of us, he can be a super helpful guy, and no doubt continues to be.