Car deregistration after export to USA

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I know this topic has been brought up before and I know (now unfortunately) the proper procedure to deregister a car before you leave Germany but what about after you've left Germany?  My problem is this:  I needed to get all of my things out of Germany quickly because my family situation fell apart.  I contacted a shipping company and thought they would take care of everything.  I packed as fast as I could and got everything in a container.

The problem is now that the Landratsamt insists that I need to physically bring the plates and registration papers to them.  This is not possible.  There must be another way around having to physically go to the Landratsamt.  If anyone knows another method of deregistering a car without going to the Landratsamt, could you please comment here.  The online process won't work for me since I don't have a valid ID card.  

Thanks in advance for your help!

Now that you are no longer here, I guess you can forget about the "proper precedure" at this point.  I assume the car is now out of Germany; do you have the license and registration with you?  And proof from the shipping company that they exported the car?  I would just mail all of this to the Landratsamt with an explanation of the events involved with your leaving and the assumption that the shipping company would handle the deregistraion for you.  What can they do now that you and the car are no longer here?

Thanks for the reply Gary.  Yes the car has been in the States since January and it's registered and insured here.  Those were my thoughts exactly and after an unpleasant discussion with them on the phone, they sent me a certified letter demanding payment for the registration within 3 days or receipt.  I probably wouldn't have this problem in a larger city like Nuremburg but it's a small city and they probably never had an instance like this and see no reason to deviate from the rules and accommodate a case like this.  I need the parent organization (some federal ministry) to convince them they should cancel the registration.  So far this is only really hurting my soon to be ex-wife who can't cancel the insurance because she can't cancel the registration.  As much as I'd like to see her suffer, I think I should get some resolution to this quickly.

4 hours ago, BayernExpat72 said:

Thanks for the reply Gary.  Yes the car has been in the States since January and it's registered and insured here.  Those were my thoughts exactly and after an unpleasant discussion with them on the phone, they sent me a certified letter demanding payment for the registration within 3 days or receipt.  I probably wouldn't have this problem in a larger city like Nuremburg but it's a small city and they probably never had an instance like this and see no reason to deviate from the rules and accommodate a case like this.  I need the parent organization (some federal ministry) to convince them they should cancel the registration.  So far this is only really hurting my soon to be ex-wife who can't cancel the insurance because she can't cancel the registration.  As much as I'd like to see her suffer, I think I should get some resolution to this quickly.

It's a shame your discussion turned unpleasant as reaching an amicable understanding with the person you had contacted would probably have been the course of least resistance.

However you can de-register your vehicle at (or through) any of the KFZ-Zulassungsbehörden in Bavaria. Kfz-Zulassungsbehörden - BayernPortal | Vehicle Registration Offices in Bavaria

You really would only be wasting more of your time and money, to say nothing of the cost to your nerves, if you were to try and convince anyone at the responsible federal ministry to intervene. They are responsible, above all state authorities, for enforcing compliance with vehicle and traffic legislation so they absolutely cannot and will not instruct subordinate authorities to deviate from the legislative norms. To comply with those norms deregistration of a vehicle registered in Germany must be achieved according to the terms laid down in FZV Fahrzeug-ZulassungsVerordnung | § 14 Außerbetriebsetzung, Wiederzulassung

The law requires that any official registering, deregistering or making any other official alterations to a vehicle's registration details must first verify the ID of the person named as vehicle keeper as well as that of any person acting as the registered keeper's agent.

You could achieve your objective with the help of a 3rd party (your wife perhaps) to whom you issue a limited power of attorney. You should check the link below for the Vollmacht PDF download, print it, fill your details in and sign it and forward it to the person you wish to appoint. However, apart from the original German vehicle registration documents and the license plates (tags) with seals intact, the Vollmacht and your representative's ID the KFZ-Zulassungsamt will also need to see your passport.

Normally they require the keeper's original passport so, if you're unwilling to send that, you might have your work cut out for you in trying to overcome that hurdle. I suggest you apply your most effective communication skills (i.e. turn up the charm factor or, if that fails, kiss ass) and, if you manage to obtain their agreement, they just may accept a certified copy. Probably only an Apostille will suffice though, not the type you get from a notary public.

Kraftfahrzeug; Außerbetriebsetzung - BayernPortal | Vehicle Deregistration Procedure | Bavaria

Good luck and, for the benefit of future readers, please do let us know how you get on.

2B

Thanks so much for the information 2B!  I'll definitely use it if things don't work out.  I have an update to this that I hope will end in an amicable resolution.  I'll post my solution once I'm sure it worked.  

I read FZV Fahrzeug-ZulassungsVerordnung | § 14 Außerbetriebsetzung, Wiederzulassung and I'm just curious how to they manage instances where cars are stolen.  How would you be able to return the license plates when they (and the car) are gone?  Also, in the even that your paperwork Teil 1 is missing, stolen or damaged?  

Just curious and I'll be sure to post my strategy for others once I'm sure the issue has been resolved.  Thanks again for everyone's input!

-Justin

Looks like I have some closure to this.  What seemed to have worked for me was a combination of attrition by being a real pain in the neck to the Landratsamt by calling them non-stop, contacting as many organizations up the chain as I could and flat out telling them that I threw away my license plates and lost the Teil I document.  After that I was able to email my US registration documents and get my car deregistered.  

So in short, get it done right the first time by following the rules... it'll save you a huge headache in the end.  

A few decades ago I imported a car from Germany to the UK and I sent the plates and paperwork to the German Embassy in London, telling them that I was unaware that I needed to de-register the car. They did everything for me and even sent the Fahrzeugbrief with a corner cut off back to me.