Back problems and mattress recommendations

35 posts in this topic

After years of lower back pain I went for a hard mattress about 3 years ago and it worked no more pain in the lower spine but I have had 2 bouts of problems (one on each side) with pain from the sacroiliac joint (translation from the German Iliosakralgelenk) which is on the side just above the pelvis this is new with the new mattress, I sleep on my side. I guess you can't win!

The accepted wisdom for suffering backs is to get a firm mattress. My personal experience has been different. I had a relatively firm mattress which brought no relief. On a whim, I bought a 7cm layer of “memory foam” to place on top of the mattress and I’ve had much better sleep since. It makes it feel extremely soft and inviting. As for back pain, unless it’s some vertebrae issue, treatment by a chiropractor would probably help relieve the initial pain. Then you’ll have to work on strengthening and stretching your back muscles, best with a physiotherapist, and then being mindful of your posture in relation to how it works and stresses your back. 
Good luck with your search!

ps. As for a pillow: 

8 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Then you’ll have to work on strengthening and stretching your back muscles, best with a physiotherapist, and the being mindful of your posture in relation to how it works and stresses your back. 

That (can't cut out the video thanks to the quote function misbevaving)! Following your physio's instructions is usually the key to success. Not mattresses or pain killers.

Best value mattress From Amazon.  I'm on my second set and I love it. Best part it's one of the cheapest mattresses out there. 

as an aside the only answer to back pain is a strong core and plank is the best exercise for this. I do 30 seconds of plank daily and no longer suffer from back pain.

in case the link is broken search for Ravensberger Matratzen® Orthopaedic 7-Zone Mattress Breathable HR Cold Foam Mattress Washable Cover Made in Germany Oeko-Tex® Various Sizes and Hardness Levels

10 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

The accepted wisdom for suffering backs is to get a firm mattress. My personal experience has been different. I had a relatively firm mattress which brought no relief. On a whim, I bought a 7cm layer of “memory foam” to place on top of the mattress and I’ve had much better sleep since. It makes it feel extremely soft and inviting. 

Same here.  I bought a hard mattress because it felt good at the store but sleeping on it, my back was less than happy.  I got a soft topper and it's much better.  Harder to get out of bed though.

22 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Same here.  I bought a hard mattress because it felt good at the store but sleeping on it, my back was less than happy.  I got a soft topper and it's much better.  Harder to get out of bed though.

In every sense!

Get a water bed - sleep & back problems simply disappear...

If you're unsure, many AirBnB offer a waterbed.

Some hotels too (not those advertising by the hour :unsure:).

Then try them for a weekend.

Actually, most reputable shops do a sale or return offer.

You'd just have to pay for installation and them pumping out and taking away.

It's the only solution - been there over 25 years.
Warm in winter.

My side unbaffled (wobbly)

Her side with baffles ("gedämpft")

You simply sink in and sleep.

As they weigh in at 700Kg, you may need to ask a surveyor if

your floor will take it. Almost certainly yes - as the 700Kg is spread over 4sq.m

Sweet dreams

:D

8 hours ago, LeonG said:

The IKEA mattress I recommended has springs and a small latex top, making it both firm and comfortable.

I have the memory foam topper on my bed. It changed everything for the better.

The only problem is finding deep pocket bottom sheets that will fit over all of it. I have had good luck with amazon.de.

I had a new mattress made for the boat - wonky size. I got 5 cm. memory foam made on the top layer. Excellent.

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The only problem is finding deep pocket bottom sheets that will fit over all of it. I have had good luck with amazon.de.

Ikea now sell fitted sheets just for this problem.  My matress plus topper comes to about 40 cm and the sheets in Ikea fit perfectly.  Just check the sizing, I think the depth is 38 or 40 cm

Same here - the hard mattress with all sorts of natural materials became harder still over the course of time, to the point where my back was fine, but shoulder and butt hurt. ;-)

A light memory foam topper did the trick, now all of me is happy. And the cooling gel on one side of the topper is great in Germany's A/C-free summers. :D

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I have the memory foam topper on my bed. It changed everything for the better.

I had a new mattress made for the boat - wonky size. I got 5 cm. memory foam made on the top layer. Excellent.

13 hours ago, Tap said:

Ikea now sell fitted sheets just for this problem.  My matress plus topper comes to about 40 cm and the sheets in Ikea fit perfectly.  Just check the sizing, I think the depth is 38 or 40 cm

Thanks for this. I have a memory foam topper on my bed more due to hip problems rather than back problems and have been struggling with the sheets not being deep enough. I'll have a check on Amazon and Ikea.

Had similar issue with Ikea Sultan mattress that i got ion 2009.

After long researched i've ended up buying Emma 25 (foam) and for the last 3 months i slept very well.