Back problems and mattress recommendations

35 posts in this topic

I have back problems, exacerbated not least by an overly hard mattress.

FYI, I do 2 hours' sport (Tues) and 1 hour's swimming gymnastics (Fri) once a week but it's not enough. I need a decent mattress.

As it's difficult to assess a mattress in the shop, I was wondering whether any other TT-ers have the same problem and could recommend a decent mattress.

Price range: up to approx. €1,000.

Thanks.

There's a new company called Casper that apparently will deliver a mattress and if you don't like it they will collect it after 100 days free of charge. I guess 100 days is a good enough time to try it out. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, I've just seen some adverts. I don't know about the quality but I'm thinking about a 100 days trial.

I have major problems sleeping on a hard mattress. I can't recommend memory foam highly enough. Instant pain relief. 

The main brand is Tempur though it is quite expensive.  There are many alternative brands. As its not for everyone, I'd recommend that you initially buy a mattress topper at least 5 cm thick.  I bought this one recently 

https://www.amazon.de/Memory-Breckle-Belüftungskanälen-waschbar-Gesamthöhe/dp/B004D3BIDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470724144&sr=8-2&keywords=matratzenauflage+memory+schaum

As as for whole mattresses, there's an every increasing trend in foam/latex in general. The new marketing of 'one mattress fits all', offer something like 100 days test, free return, 10 year guarantee. I think Casper is the latest one I read about. https://casper.com/de/de?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=S.DE-Brand-BRAND-Casper&utm_content=BRAND_CAT-Casper-matratzen-Exact&utm_term=matratzen-casper

All the best

My husband has a herniated disc and absolutely swears by IKEAs Sultan mattresses.

Depending on what's actually causing the pain, you may find yoga or pilates helps. 

there is another german company EMMA -also offering similar product as casper with more options and 100 euros cheaper

Thanks, guys.

I forgot to specify that my current mattress is too hard. I need something softer but not too soft.

I tried a low-price Tempur model last year but found it a little too hard. I only tried it for an hour or so: was that not enough?

2 hours ago, onemark said:

Thanks, guys.

I forgot to specify that my current mattress is too hard. I need something softer but not too soft.

I tried a low-price Tempur model last year but found it a little too hard. I only tried it for an hour or so: was that not enough?

Not really.  I bought one from eBay and that was way too hard so I sent it back.  The link I added earlier is one that is fairly similar to tempur. In Germany, they use hard grading H1 to H3.  H2 should be a good soft to medium. 

On 09.08.2016, 10:54:18, RelativeDimensions said:

My husband has a herniated disc and absolutely swears by IKEAs Sultan mattresses.

Depending on what's actually causing the pain, you may find yoga or pilates helps. 

Absolutely agree - love Ikea mattresses, just not the cheapest ones but middle-priced ones are already surprisingly good.

On 9 August 2016 at 08:31:21, Jonny said:

There's a new company called Casper that apparently will deliver a mattress and if you don't like it they will collect it after 100 days free of charge.

We were considering a Casper until we found a German firm called Emma with an identical business model (online stores only, 100 days to trial the mattress etc) with the benefit that their products are marketed and made in Germany. We were apprehensive about Casper because besidess all the positive reviews, we saw that many people describe their mattresses as being a bit too much on the firm side.

We have had our Emma mattress now for nearly two weeks and we are undecided, It does support both our weights (I am 90kgs, my 6 months pregnant wife is now 60kgs) very well, which I guess is due to the fact that there are actually two single mattresses enclosed in a single, double sized Bezug, but mainly because of the materials used (several different kinds of foam)

This is a great mattress for side sleepers, I have gotten used it since we had it, but I am still not 100% convinced that I can live with it as it is very soft, although it still does a good job of supporting my bulk. It's hard to get a reliable review from my wife because she will most likely find sleeping difficult for the next few months hard anyway. We may go for a Casper before the 100 day period is up. Will report back here.

Chocky.

I am just chuffed that I have a bed and matress...

Last time I bought a mattress, I tried a few at the store and the one that made my back feel the best, I was going to buy until the lady at the store told me it's 400€.  When I showed some doubt, she said almost immediately that she could do 20% off so I got it for 320.  Still happy with it.  It is kind of hard though but seems to work for me.

I had a Tempur mattress years ago.  Thought it was ok but I got tired of it after a while.

I've been testing a Swopper office chair and after 10 days I already see an improvement on my lower back pain. 

I doubt that the mattress is to blame for being too hard. Probably is too old. For example foam mattresses must be renewed every 2-3 years.

On 9/13/2016, 9:07:03, Stereosummwe said:

Absolutely agree - love Ikea mattresses, just not the cheapest ones but middle-priced ones are already surprisingly good.

@Stereosummwe Can you please recommend one?

If you took 2 seconds to click on their name.. you would see they havent logged in for nearly 3 years... 

You don't even need to click on their name - just hover the cursor over their mini piccy & a popup will appear that shows when they joined, last visited etc.

Thanks... I was trying to keep it simple :lol:

I am resurrecting this thread in case anyone wants to add their own good experiences with mattresses for back problems.

I am a back sleeper (by necessity for the moment) and I do not live near any large stores, so need to buy online.

I am also looking for a good pillow for a back sleeper. Any recommendations? I have been doing my own research on both items, but not found anything I am particularly taken by, based on reviews.

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/vatnestroem-taschenfederkernmatratze-fest-natur-90476404/

They deliver at home, to your bed.

This matress is amazing. Choose the "Firm".

Stay away from pure foam matresses!

If it's too expensive, I have this in my home in Portugal. It's not nearly as good as the other one, but not too bad.

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/valevag-taschenfederkernmatratze-fest-hellblau-40450680/