Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The need to be right

110 posts in this topic

Oh... And I know a very very sorry and appologetic German guy...  

Yesterday, He drove through a red light, having ignored the signs saying the village is open "Bis Baustelle"...  Then when I took a picture of him driving through the red light, he pulled over, then screeched away and parked on my garden... thus warranting another photo of hs car!!

Tripple whammy!!

Fuck you sunshine!

The Friday right thread!:P Or is that tomorrow? Make up your minds!!! I will not change mine!!!

Think what you like Kiddo!!

I am buisy getting high on Cidre and Pistachio nuts!!   

My bog will resemble a flock of sparrows taking off in the morning!!!  :lol:

6 hours ago, tokeshu said:

i was waiting for a response like this. Normally I'd let it go. Not today.

My middle name is "I'm sorry". My second middle name is "My mistake".

I have no issues being wrong. I teach a variety of different things - that's my profession. Mistakes are normal and helpful.

I have a list as long as my arm which I don't need to bore people with here, but my own involvement in my present situations is minimal and I would be the first to admit fault if I had done something to cause the problems. I've even tried to re-do things to improve matters but (as one example) - when something has gone missing in my boss' office, and it's the original that is needed, I can't do much to change the situation. I know from my end I didn't lose these files. I have a receipt (signed) acknowledging that I dropped them off personally. i didn't lose them, but apparently he didn't either. This is just a minor example - I've just had to deal with this attitude time and again in the past 2 months and I'm at wits end.

agree with you about the frustration. I have many stories to tell. Here in office, i would sign some original documents and give it to the boss for filing and sure enough after few days she would come asking for them disputing that i had given them to her. So i started making photocopies of the original just in case she looses them. But again she would come and  i started giving her the photocopies for reference but i could hear her muttering that again its my fault somehow and these could be the only ones i created. In the end, i started photocopying on the backside of used sheets to prove that these indeed are old paper. But offices all over are full of such fruit cases.

Once i was working in another country and one of our sister companies were into hotel bookings for all the group company employees at a subsidized price, I booked a hotel room from them and on reaching the hotel, i found that the subsidized price was more than even the card rate, So i called up the company to clarify and they kept on insisting that this is a special discounted rate for me. I was getting more and more furious to hear the words 'discounted' and 'specially for me' being used on phone.  Controlling my anger i tried to tell this person - 'do you know the meaning of discount and a favour? if something is at X price and you give me X - 10 its a discount and a favour. So please dont use these words when you are charging me  X+10' But this person would not understand and i had to complain about it. He turned out to be the favorite ball sucker of his CEO who was brother of my CEO. And therefore my CEO insisted on me apologizing to this person for my 'mistake of disputing their discount' or to quit my job.

Life goes on - hehe. just try to toughen the skin layer by layer hehe

2 hours ago, onemark said:

After arriving in Germany years ago I read that Germans are very sensitive about personal and professional status.

Today, I walked past a sign with Dr.med. Dr.med. <first name><last name> which, of course, has more status than somebody with just a single Dr. title ;).

7 hours ago, tokeshu said:

What the hell is it with these people that it’s impossible to admit fault?

Changing an entire country is not going to be easy.   Instead of becoming a Sisyphus thing, maybe you should make your case and move on to the next case or the next job.

5 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Today, I walked past a sign with Dr.med. Dr.med. <first name><last name> which, of course, has more status than somebody with just a single Dr. title ;).

I even saw this on a grave stone :blink:

I guess it doesn't bother me too much if somebody has the urge to list off their qualifications as part of their name, but it really irritates me when the wife of a (male) doctor calls herself Frau Doctor So-and-so, when she might just be capable of sticking a plaster on a cut finger!

Must be a real shock to the system if they ever get divorced! :)

I'm amused when the physician wife of a physician is referred to as Frau Doktor Doktor.

I'm annoyed when a PhD's card refers to her/him as Doctor Some Body.

And I'm bemused by someone who introduces himself/herself thus:  My name is Doctor Someone Else.

9 hours ago, jeremy said:

I think we have the moral higher ground really. 

LOL. :lol: Sorry. 

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

I guess it doesn't bother me too much if somebody has the urge to list off their qualifications as part of their name, but it really irritates me when the wife of a (male) doctor calls herself Frau Doctor So-and-so, when she might just be capable of sticking a plaster on a cut finger!

Must be a real shock to the system if they ever get divorced! :)

And women in the U.S. used to be called "Mrs John Smith", completely subsuming a women's identity into her husbands after marriage, it's the same thing, it's not self promotion by the woman.  

Just now, Returning said:

... it's not self promotion by the woman.  

- actually, in many cases in German, I believe it is!

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

I'm amused when the physician wife of a physician is referred to as Frau Doktor Doktor.

I'm annoyed when a PhD's card refers to her/him as Doctor Some Body.

And I'm bemused by someone who introduces himself/herself thus:  My name is Doctor Someone Else.

Is Doktor "name of degree holder" less annoying to you?

1 minute ago, robinson100 said:

- actually, in many cases in German, I believe it is!

Pride in their husband's achievements, yes, but imagine what it does for your self identity to lose even your name into your husbands.  I have a newspaper article talking about my mom from the 60's, no mention of her name at all, she was irrelevant, it was only important that she was Mrs John Smith (or whatever).

Actually, I think you are mixing two things together and thus missing the point that I have made, which is, that a lot of women, married to a doctor here in German, and also in Austria, insist on being referred to as "Frau doctor So-and-so", rather than simply "Frau So-and-so". Just try calling them "Frau So-and-so" and see what an icey look you get in return!

Of course, there is no mention of the woman's actual name, very much as in the case in other countries, and one could well argue that this is unfair towards women, and which I think is what you are trying to point out, Returning, if I am not totally mistaken(?)

From reading all this (and observing location of posters) I'm starting to wonder if there's a North/South divide here. Yeah, Germans here have trouble admitting fault too, but they get there eventually, at least in the small circle I work in. Maybe it's been me setting the right example, maybe it just isn't such a big deal here oop north?

Oh, and I ignore "Dr Med"... not a proper Doctor. Equivalent to MD, not a PhD. And then most PhDs issued here aren't worth the paper they're copied from