Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

attending a UK University, VISA needed?

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My daughter is American living in Germany with a German VISA.  She will be going to University in September in England.  Does anyone know if she will need a separate VISA to study in England or will the German VISA (also for study) suffice because it"s the shangen region???

The university is no help, as was the England Embassy and no one seems to know.  She needs to leave soon and we really need to find this out.

Thanks!!

Candace

UK is not in Schengen, and even if it was in Schengen she would still need a resident permit in the new country.

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

UK is not in Schengen, and even if it was in Schengen she would still need a resident permit in the new country.

That's correct.  When my old man visits me (DEU) and my bro (UK) he needs a UK visa and a Schengen Visa.

The issue is can your daughter stay for an extended time in the UK with an American passport?  Does she need some kind of "study visa" for this?

Probably not, because I can imagines get a stamp on arrival in the UK with leave to remain for a generous time.

Google is your friend. This first link is the answer if your daughter is a US citizen.
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/usa/study/longer_than_six_months 

A German visa is a German visa, not a UK visa.

P.S. It is best to start at the beginning of the website (below), and put in your daughter's nationality (I entered "USA").
Then click through, and voila, you have your answer.
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y

As above already said, you need to call/check the UK GOV.  website on this. It does seem as if she will need a Tier 4 general student visa- costs about Pounds 330, plus Healthcare surcharge, and has to be applied for outside the UK.

I do not think she can just turn up at Immigration and get stamped in-she is not a tourist.

The site says it can take 3 weeks- But contact them quickly! Good luck.

Thank everyone,

After two days of research and talking to all the authorities, we have decided that the best route is to send her early to the UK so that she has time to first apply for a new passport (because as of August 28 it will expire in 6 months and they don't like to issue a VISA in a passport that has less than 6 months), and then once she has the renewed passport she can apply for the study VISA.  She is fine to remain in the UK and study until the VISA determination is made as long as it is filed.  

We had to fulfill a few requirements in the meantime, in case you are in the same situation.  One including making the University deposit of 6,000 pounds, which they needed in order to issue her the CAS number...which is required for any further action.

Whew!  This has been a ride and a half...you would think that with all the international studies happening currently, there would be better guidance.  

By the way, does anyone know what the insurance payment fee that goes along with the VISA includes?  She is covered under our german public insurance as a full time student but I wonder what we are paying for??

Thanks friends!

Candace

RE : the Health surcharge. Apparently this is  a requirement of all visas -for UK National Health coverage, for all Non-EU students.

As your daughter is US citizen, she would need to pay this. However, as she has coverage under your Health care ( is this German approved Krankenkasse, and does she have an EHIC card?), I really do not know  if she will be exempt from this charge.

Call your Health Insurance to see if they can advise.   And  call the UK  via site.

Maybe one of the insurance experts on TT may know?!

Thanks RedMidge :)  Yes, she has a german approved heath card under our plan...we will have to research this one as well!

I reckon you´ll find it´s  not nationality that counts but the EHIC card which will swing the matter. But that´s something to check carefully with your health provider and/or the UK..too many things happening right now, too many not-sure-what´s-right...NORMALLY, the EHIC card is fine for students..my daughter went to uni in Poland for 9 months and used her card beautifully...

Apparently, this health surcharge is built into the visa charge, so not sure how that works, but must be  option for them to  remove the charge for EHIC holders.

4 hours ago, Candaceag said:

we have decided that the best route is to send her early to the UK so that she has time to first apply for a new passport (because as of August 28 it will expire in 6 months and they don't like to issue a VISA in a passport that has less than 6 months), and then once she has the renewed passport she can apply for the study VISA.  She is fine to remain in the UK and study until the VISA determination is made as long as it is filed.  

She should file for her renewal NOW in Germany; without a permit for the UK there is a good chance that the American Embassy is the UK might not consider themselves responsible for her passport renewal. 

She should also contact her local ABH regarding a Bescheinigung confirming that her German permit will not become void while she is studying in the UK. 

I've only just seen this, so I'm coming late to the party, but it might be worth your while looking at this forum:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/

There are a number of members who move between the UK and other European countries for many reasons and my American friend who lives in the UK reckons that what they don't know about all sorts of visas you might need in the UK and the health insurance surcharge isn't worth knowing.  No idea if there's anyone there who will have faced this particular issue, but it couldn't do any harm to ask.