Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rebuilding Toytown

22 posts in this topic

Right then,

While the dust settles here after yesterday's awful attack, some of us (Elfenstar and myself) discussed the website name Toytown. I'm sure it is in the "About" section, but until yesterday many of us thought the worst aspect of life in Munich was the rubbish assortment of breakfast cereals in supermarkets. This entire site is/was devoted to petty moans we all have about renting apartments bad landlords, the traffic laws, the media and yes the Rules.

That ended yesterday. 

It is only when such a tragedy happens that one appreciates what was and still is brilliant about living in Bavaria. The safety, and actually, the professionalism shown yesterday by the security forces dealing with this very fluid situation. 

Now my point is, what can individuals do to assist when such a drama strikes? I was so heartened yesterday when the #offenetur hashtag flew round Twitter. Ordinary people opened their doors to those cimmuters stuck on U Bahns, S Bahns, and trams. I would have done the same. When there is someone in need I always ask do they need help.

I told my wife that in every dwelling who is willing to help, or office block, there ought to be a place to lie down and get rest and water. Every single coopted place ought to have the following three simple items:

1. A blanket

2. A yoga mat/air mattress

3. A bottle of water

If everyone had just this when the shit hits the fan any babies, old ladies who needed help would get it in seconds, just perhaps a hashtag/app away.

In our place we have these things in spades, even old tents, sleeping bags.

Persons in need stay only one night, so as not to take any kind of advantage, there'd be no strings attached. Has to be free and on trust, i.e., a gorgeous blonde comes to your place in need of a bed and you are a single bloke, you have to behave honourably.

How does that idea sound?

If I understand it correct, you are asking if TT Website could be used like #offeneTür? A bit confused about the post, pardon me.

3 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

If I understand it correct, you are asking if TT Website could be used like #offeneTür? A bit confused about the post, pardon me.

I'll be honest, emotion caught the better of me. I didn't explain it well at all.

All I simply meant  was a refinement of the "offenetur" concept where people hold always the 3 items above. 

I am shattered as I didn't sleep much last night i was too upset. 

Jeremy... Would this Generosity idea extend the the immigrants too?

Inviting strangers to stay in your dwelling would only lead to theft etc etc...

You say Munich is no longer safe!!    Lets not forget the Ofest bombing and the Olympic episode!

Jeremy, I don't quite understand your idea but if it means that we ought to always have these three items ready anytime, then we have it covered already. 

I wouldn't let just anybody going into my house though, having little daughters and all that. 

There are ideas and ideas.. this sounds distinctly like "wir schaffen das"

The immigrants mistranslated.. they thought it was "wir schaffen das ab"

I'm guessing almost all the people are equipped with similar things like you mentioned. I live in a very small Apartment with my wife, but we have a comfortable Couch cum bed, in case there is a guest to spend the night at ours.

So, no worries Jeremy, people always improvise according to the scenario. Creative ideas do spread rapidly today.

This #offeneTür was marvelous, in my opinion. So was the # that went around Brussels posting pictures of cats dressed like Islamic Terrorists, during the Raid, where authorities asked the people not to post pictures of the Special forces in action. :)

It also saddens me that there are people out there because of whom people had to come up with such ideas. Tragic Creativity, I would call it.

Sofabed.

No cum, no stains, better all round.

Seriously, it is good to see a community rally round when tragedy strikes. Being prepared for an unexpected guest is a lovely idea.

Actually, I must admit I was a bit "Do not drive and operate machinery" today. On another planet.

A few summers ago, I was in town when I saw a motorhome stuck outside the local ADAC depot. I thought "I've been in that position often with caravan and family" so I ran to Lidl, bought a six pack of apfelschorle and simply dropped it off at the family. Then went away. No names, no contact just I hope good Samaritan sort of thing.

On the caravan/motorhome this help is there all the time when on the road. My idea was more looking back to travellers on the autobahn in summer when the Staus hit, kids are crying, it is hot, and travellers ought to help each other in my opinion.

Jeremy, I know you to be a lovely, helpful guy, but I really do find it a bit strange that you decide to tell us all what we need to have at home, to be able to put somebody up for a night!

I have a sofa bed, with plenty of spare bedding, but I'll be damned if I will go out and buy bottled water, when the tap water here is of such high quality!

If anybody stays here, they are welcome to as much tea and coffee as they please, and as much tap water as they can drink!

So far, nobody has complained, and I doubt that anybody ever will :D

(btw - my guests also get breakfast, or whatever they can find around the house to eat - this is a vegetarian household, but nobody has starved so far...)

I would add a fully-stocked bar and a few kasten of beer just in case it's a very long night and the next day is Sunday. We were unprepared on Friday but we'll never make that mistake again!

Excellent work Toytowners.

Take a well-meant but perhaps badly worded proposal and rip the author to shreds. Maybe you have some spare time left over to go out and kick a few puppies.

what you need is this (I always thought a "good stout piece of twine" was on the list?)

• First aid kit
  • Filled water bottle
  • Flashlight
  • Trail food
  • Sunscreen
  • Whistle*
  • Map and Compass
  • Rain gear
  • Pocket knife
  • Matches or fire starters

*You just never know when the opportunity will arise for an impromptu kick-about, and, as we all know, "soccer builds bridges".