Mass shooting at shopping center in Munich

490 posts in this topic

The thing is though, the obliterated serial number is a peace of cake to get back. However, the Glock 9mm is one of the most widely sold handguns because of its reliability. There is more 9 mm ammunition sold daily then there are people born. What I like to know is, how in the blue hell did he get his hands on 300 rounds of 9 mm ammunition. Getting the gun is the easy part. Getting the ammo not so much. 

If if you buy it legally here in Germany, you have to provide a reason to get your ammunition. (Bedarf nachweisen) Depending on the reason you are allowed to buy a certain amount. But without a hunters license or a sports license. Getting that much ammo is very hard.

You can get a filed-off serial number back? Wow, the things I learn at Toytown.

I'd also like to know how he got his hands on the Glock and all that ammo.

4 minutes ago, Porky Pine said:

You can get a filed-off serial number back? Wow, the things I learn at Toytown.

I'd also like to know how he got his hands on the Glock and all that ammo.

Aye. Steel has a "memory"

The serial number is stamped on the gun. That changes the crystal structure of the metal. What you have to do to get the serial number back is relatively straightforward. You need some cotton and a small amount of sulfuric acid. Drench the cotton in acid and put it on the obliterated serial number. Then put a small electrical current through it and voilà serial number reemerge.

Thanks, Taffthedigger. Interesting fact.

Thanks to the SZ, I now know he got the Glock via the darknet. And he traveled to Winnenden, looked around and took photos. He also had Breivik's manifest on his PC.
Sick, sick, sick.

3 minutes ago, Mr Metall said:

The serial number is stamped on the gun. That changes the crystal structure of the metal. What you have to do to get the serial number back is relatively straightforward. You need some cotton and a small amount of sulfuric acid. Drench the cotton in acid and put it on the obliterated serial number. Then put a small electrical current through it and voilà serial number reemerge.

Wow, Mr. Metall. The things you know!
Stands to reason, I guess, given your moniker.

2 minutes ago, Taffthedigger said:

Aye. Steel has a "memory"

Well that's the dumb way the media present it.

The real reason is that when you stamp something like a serial number into the metal, the molecules underneath get squashed into the shapes of the number. The crystal lattice is deformed in the shapes of the digits. Various methods can 'see' the distorted crystal structure. Etching is the usual one, but there are others:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/scientists-develop-a-technique-to-find-serial-numbers-that-have-been-filed-off/2015/05/11/45e76fce-d489-11e4-8fce-3941fc548f1c_story.html

5 minutes ago, Mr Metall said:

Snap :)

I used to be a blacksmith. Metallurgy is one of the perks you acquire during training. The same process is used to make the pattern on damascus steel visible. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Metall said:

What I like to know is, how in the blue hell did he get his hands on 300 rounds of 9 mm ammunition. Getting the gun is the easy part. Getting the ammo not so much.

Perhaps he bought it all from the same "arms dealer".

I wonder where he got the money.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Perhaps he bought it all from the same "arms dealer".

I wonder where he got the money.

From his father's apartment location, doesn't sound as though the family were short of money. Spoilt kid...??? I guess we'll find out in due course.

11 minutes ago, Mr Metall said:

Interesting fact learnt today. Thanks. :)

15 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

From his father's apartment location, doesn't sound as though the family were short of money. Spoilt kid...??? I guess we'll find out in due course.

Reports are the kid grew up in the OEZ area.

That is NOT a poor area. It's middle class, some bits maybe lower middle class, but definitely not a "tough poor people on benefits" area. There also are some really expensive apartments there, too.

Sure you can live there and be on Hartz4, but it's nothing compared to what Neuperlach is/was (it's now rapidly being gentrified), or former Hasenbergl, or current Aubing/Lochham.

They moved to the Dachauer Strasse a couple of years ago. I saw a picture, it's the bit near where Lerchenauer Strasse branches off towards Olympiazentrum and OEZ.

Not very quiet on account of traffic but definitely not cheap either - this the border of Milbertshofen to Schwabing, meaning high rent.

The dad is a taxi driver. That's a lowpaying job, unless he owns the taxi/license - then things look a lot better. Will talk to some cabbies I know.

The above also explains why the kid went to the OEZ for the shooting - he knew the area well.

1 minute ago, Metall said:

The dad is a taxi driver. That's a lowpaying job, unless he owned the taxi/license - then things look a lot better. Will talk to some cabbies I know.

I read the Dad was a taxi company owner. However news agencies often get these sort of facts wrong (I know from personal experience, when I was in the news once, not a single national or international broadcaster or newspaper got all the facts right - even our names were wrong in many instances).

A pack of 9 mm hollow point ammo costs about 25€ to 30€. A pack is 20 rounds. So to get 300 rounds that would be 15 packs of ammunition. That is about 375€ to 450€. If you obtain it legally. I recon you pay double or triple the price on the black market.

Let's make it a grand. 

The Glock costs about 700€. Double or triple that, let's say 2 grand.

3 Grand is a lot of dough for an 18 year old.

14 minutes ago, Mr Metall said:

A pack of 9 mm hollow point ammo costs about 25€ to 30€. A pack is 20 rounds. So to get 300 rounds that would be 15 packs of ammunition. That is about 375€ to 450€. If you obtain it legally. I recon you pay double or triple the price on the black market.

Let's make it a grand. 

The Glock costs about 700€. Double or triple that, let's say 2 grand.

3 Grand is a lot of doe for an 18 year old.

Point is, would a "normal" 18 year old get that gun on the black market? Or:

1) the father was behind it

2) his "friends" were not so innocent

40 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

Well that's the dumb way the media present it.

The real reason is that when you stamp something like a serial number into the metal, the molecules underneath get squashed into the shapes of the number. The crystal lattice is deformed in the shapes of the digits. Various methods can 'see' the distorted crystal structure. Etching is the usual one, but there are others:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/scientists-develop-a-technique-to-find-serial-numbers-that-have-been-filed-off/2015/05/11/45e76fce-d489-11e4-8fce-3941fc548f1c_story.html

Correct and well explained! +1 for science, -1 for dumb journalists.

Getting the gun is the easy part as long as you have the money. You can get it via the dark net, although that is not the easy way. Ore you drive to a country with less than optimal gun control laws. For example Poland or other Eastern European countries. Easy to get there and back via train in one day and relatively cheap. It all boils down to money. 

What if Daddy had the unregistered gun? Driving a taxi, especially at night is not very safe. I've heard of taxi drivers in Munich quietly arming themselves after robberies and even murders in the last years, although mostly with pepper spray and heavy objects.