Mass shooting at shopping center in Munich

490 posts in this topic

Besides the tragedy, we have seen the response to a terrorist attack in  a major city of Germany. The response from the german police is to get territorial superiority (getting as many police officers with sub machine guns to the streets).

 

It worked great, but terrorists can adapt now. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billt said:

Not so sure -  I worked in the foundry industry in Darlington in the late 80's and had never seen a handgun in the UK when a policeman turned up with a sack - full of illegal hand guns that they had collected with a request to destroy in our furnaces. I was shocked but some of the locals told me a gun wasn't a problem if you knew the right people! In Germany legal guns are controlled but in a border less society 

 

now I do see the english root of the american culture.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Exactly. In Poland these radical Catholics are called Katotaliban ("Catholic Taliban") exactly for that reason. They seriously want to ban all abortion, for example, including for raped women and women who can die as a result. In the US they cannot do it due to the Constitution but in Poland still everything is possible.

I've been to Poland many times and have visited the country extensively and you are kidding yourself if you think the so-called radical Catholics are equivalent to the Taliban.  Yes they are annoying like the American biblethumpers who claim the good book was written directly by God but how many people have they killed?  Even if there are some violent members I would imagine that their targets would be narrowed down to abortion clinics for example as opposed to killing as many random people as possible to make themselves heard.  With that being said, abortion is a very sensitive issue but the arguments against it are not exclusively religious; there are quite a few secularists opposed to it.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rohit_2543 said:

@YoRambo Which Muslim majority city you grew up in ? Curious you know. Is it Srinagar or somewhere in Mallapuram, Kerala ?

How did it become Muslim majority, is the real question. Can you enlighten us ?

Or Old City in Hyderabad, or Bangla border areas or Assam, or old parts of Bangalore, or Bhatkal near Mangalore, or ...

The point is, if he is ever from one of these real Muslim majority areas from India, he would never have said this. India was going to dogs under the indirect rule of Mafia family. People have arrested that slide somewhat now.

 

Even today, the Summer time stone pelters in the Kashmir valley demand Indian army's help during the floods and land slides in Jammu & Kashmir. When the are not fighting floods or sheilding from snow, they simply go out and pelt stones or used to kills Kashmiri Pandits.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shes a shit face anyway.Its easy to talk when surrounded by security.She dont walk the streets of Berlin on her own

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, J0ker said:

I've been to Poland many times and have visited the country extensively and you are kidding yourself if you think the so-called radical Catholics are equivalent to the Taliban.  Yes they are annoying like the American biblethumpers who claim the good book was written directly by God but how many people have they killed?  Even if there are some violent members I would imagine that their targets would be narrowed down to abortion clinics for example as opposed to killing as many random people as possible to make themselves heard.  With that being said, abortion is a very sensitive issue but the arguments against it are not exclusively religious; there are quite a few secularists opposed to it.

Next time you visit Poland address this to those who use this term, I neither invented it nor I think that those people are equivalent to Taliban. However, it must be noted that they don't need any terror because they achieve their goals via politics and the church. Terrorism is something done by minorities when they can't get what they want via politics.

 

But this case is not terrorism, period.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mik Dickinson said:

shes a shit face anyway

 

I'd rather be shitfaced than be a shit face! :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, beginning to pick up the pieces...

 

If this tragedy isn't about terrorism, does it raise the issue of mental illness treatment in Germany?

 

Do Germans even admit they have depression problems in this country? Wasn't there that case a few years ago when the goalkeeper - forget his name killed himself?

 

In the UK in my experience when you are either nuts you get (or used to get) good treatment. My mother was a mental health nurse in a hospital in our town in Wales. If you need help at the docs you can get referred to a counsellor.

 

When I suffered grief five years ago here I clearly told my doc i needed help. It never came and the emotional trauma was so great i drank it away, I was so bad I fell over and broke 3 ribs. my self medication today is good food and Tai Chi. I am fine now.

 

So if I couldn't get simple basic help what is it like for the rest here?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeremy, I don't think mental health issues are being dealt with very well in the UK just now either. I have a colleague who's son has tried to kill himself twice already, but they can't access any help for him over there, it's very sad and extremely worrying for his family.

 

Mental health is a huge problem today, but there seems to be a terrible lack of funding, the only way to get any decent help is to pay for it privately. 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tap i speak fluent German though that is tough for me and I also tracked down a local Hospizkreis lady who came to visit me in an old peoples home. We were going to set up a grievers group but she never did anything about it.

 

There was absolutely noone out there when I needed help.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as mental health is concerned, many of you won't know this, but there is an anonymous, psychologiical telephone hotline for emergency service workers.

One of my customers at work today was totally in a different world, and we got talking. Seems he is a doctor, and had to treat somebody who had been shot in the head at the incident yesterday.

Luckily, I was able to tell him that I am with the FFW, and to remind him that there is this service available. He seemed comforted by it, and said he would call them.

 

Sometimes you see things that you really do not want to see, and they stick in your mind.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jeremy said:

So, beginning to pick up the pieces...

 

If this tragedy isn't about terrorism, does it raise the issue of mental illness treatment in Germany?

 

Do Germans even admit they have depression problems in this country? Wasn't there that case a few years ago when the goalkeeper - forget his name killed himself?

 

In the UK in my experience when you are either nuts you get (or used to get) good treatment. My mother was a mental health nurse in a hospital in our town in Wales. If you need help at the docs you can get referred to a counsellor.

 

When I suffered grief five years ago here I clearly told my doc i needed help. It never came and the emotional trauma was so great i drank it away, I was so bad I fell over and broke 3 ribs. my self medication today is good food and Tai Chi. I am fine now.

 

So if I couldn't get simple basic help what is it like for the rest here?

 

 

I have no idea abt how things going in UK. But I do think depression in germany is a culture-bound syndrome.

 

but if you expect the germans to admit they have problems that are derived from their own society/culture but not the "auslander". I'd suggest you try to win some lotto which is more possibly gonna happen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

 

Sometimes you see things that you really do not want to see, and they stick in your mind.

 

I was travelling northern India on my own in 1995 (must've been mad to do that looking back) when I shared a jeep with other Indian guys to the next village. We drove round a bend and had to slow near an orange blanket in the road. It was as we drove past that I realised there was a body underneath. When I looked at the hands and feet sticking out I worked out he had no head. Everyone in the jeep had nausea. That is not a scene I would wish on anyone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

As far as mental health is concerned, many of you won't know this, but there is an anonymous, psychologiical telephone hotline for emergency service workers.

 

Could you post a link or the number? Might be handy.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now