Mass shooting at shopping center in Munich

490 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

You're not the only one. There are many of us, the fact wingers (as opposed to right wingers and left wingers), we just do not feel to spread hysteria and panic in 100 of forum messages.

If you call someone a dog, they will sooner or later start barking. I mean, the besorgte shittalk "Islam islam islam islam islam terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists" is the main reason why this guy came to this idea. Police found a book "Amok im Kopf - Warum Schüler töten", it was probably about 2009 school boy shooting, his father was in Schützeverein and he took his gun. Plus there were some newspapers with articles about shooting.

So, all these news about shootings will give another frustrated teens ideas how to get mad. Sadly.

P.S. Wikipedia article about Winnenden shooting for the reference. Back then it was also a 17 years old who killed 15 people and himself. This guy definitely followed his example but he went to OEZ instead of own school.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoklauf_von_Winnenden

Ban the guns! Maybe they'd have still got an axe or knives, but far fewer people would be dead or injured.

Update: the reason most probably bullying at school by Turkish and/or Arabic classmates. But the fact that he decided to kill another random Turks, not his bullies is definitely a besorgte influence.

P.S. Thanks God I didn't have access to guns at school...

2 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

Ban the guns! Maybe they'd have still got an axe or knives, but far fewer people would be dead or injured.

They are already banned, it's very difficult to get one.

In Winnenden a father went to jail because he was responsible for securing his gun and keeping it in enclosed safe. Too early to speculate if this is the case here, we'll see.

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

They are already banned, it's very difficult to get one.

In Winnenden a father went to jail because he was responsible for securing his gun and keeping it in enclosed safe. Too early to speculate if this is the case here, we'll see.

No, when I say ban, I really mean ban. In the UK it is illegal to own a handgun. Since that law was made, this sort of thing has not occurred.

Difficult to get one means it is still possible. In the UK it is only possible illegally. Therefore it is vastly more difficult than here.

2 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

No, when I say ban, I really mean ban. In the UK it is illegal to own a handgun. Since that law was made, this sort of thing has not occurred.

Difficult to get one means it is still possible. In the UK it is only possible illegally. Therefore it is vastly more difficult than here.

Not so sure -  I worked in the foundry industry in Darlington in the late 80's and had never seen a handgun in the UK when a policeman turned up with a sack - full of illegal hand guns that they had collected with a request to destroy in our furnaces. I was shocked but some of the locals told me a gun wasn't a problem if you knew the right people! In Germany legal guns are controlled but in a border less society 

47 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I'm not one who is highly enthusiastic about the police, let's say, but I have to agree that the official comportment in this case was so far top-notch. Waiting to make sure you know stuff before you feed media speculation? What an awesome 

They were even updating the twitter FB in 3 different languages. As soon as they found a dead body of a probable suspect they made sure people knew to defuse the panic mode. 

8 minutes ago, billt said:

Not so sure -  I worked in the foundry industry in Darlington in the late 80's and had never seen a handgun in the UK when a policeman turned up with a sack - full of illegal hand guns that they had collected with a request to destroy in our furnaces. I was shocked but some of the locals told me a gun wasn't a problem if you knew the right people! In Germany legal guns are controlled but in a border less society 

UK gun law was changed in 1996 following the Dunblane massacre, effectively banning hand guns, years after your experiences.

No borders is obviously an issue, unless the whole of Schengen follows and an effective border around Schengen is enforced.

4 hours ago, crusoe said:

Garibaldi says that zeit.de reported people panicked at the sight of armed civilian police around Stachus (and possibly Isartor, didn't read that source myself) and reported them as sightings of gunmen, hence the claims of multiple incidents.

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

the "polizei" vests those police were wearing didn't catch their attention?

3 hours ago, idk said:

In case of a real attack, I wouldn't trust armed civilian looking people, that just wear these light shiny police vests. Could still be a terrorist.

And that's exactly the point.

I saw a video of armed civilian police running around - they were wearing black masks, T-shirts, light colored shorts, and orange warning vests. Not very police-like at all. I would have run, too.

1 hour ago, LisaJK said:

Most of the mass migration is away from countries full of racial, religious and political corruption and bigotry, towards stable economically successful countries where these views and activities are an anathema. Therefore, rather than accepting, or even by their actions, promoting mass migration, shouldn't the more successful countries be trying to export their views, morals and success to those broken countries?

Which is exactly what happened in Turkey for decades - the (legal) economic emigrants brought back all sorts of Western values (and money) which triggered rapid economic and societal development.

I do realize we are experiencing backlash at the moment, but on a much higher level than, say, Syria. At least one can hope. *sigh*

2 minutes ago, Metall said:

Which is exactly what happened in Turkey for decades - the (legal) economic emigrants brought back all sorts of Western values (and money) which triggered rapid economic and societal development.

I do realize we are experiencing backlash at the moment, but on a much higher level than, say, Syria. At least one can hope. *sigh*

Not with a nut job like Erdogun handling things. He is a covert Islamist.

1 minute ago, Metall said:

Hope is about all we can do for Turkey.

When a president gives himself emergency law making powers, without recourse to parliament, it's just reminiscent of all similar events, like the events following the 1930s Berlin Reichstag fire and before.

3 minutes ago, taylormario said:

I know what you mean, that's what I meant with backlash.

18 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

UK gun law was changed in 1996 following the Dunblane massacre, effectively banning hand guns, years after your experiences.

No borders is obviously an issue, unless the whole of Schengen follows and an effective border around Schengen is enforced.

But, on the other hand, the strict regulations have done nothing to stop the trade in illegal guns. The weapon Reeve used was, after all, a handgun, which no one has been allowed to own in this country since 1997 – not even the British Olympic pistol shooting team, which has to train in Switzerland. 

And, a cruel irony this, gun crime has doubled since then. For complicated statistical reasons it is not easy to give exact figures, but very roughly there are around 10,000 firearms offences a year, around 40 of them involving people being killed – suicides as well as murders – with a further 2,000 or so injured. The majority of these occur in areas dominated by gang culture and involve illegal guns usually smuggled from Eastern Europe.

source - Daily Telegraph 23/7/016

44 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

Bombs, vans, trucks... forget it, if they want to kill, they will. Of course guns are the easiest way to do it.

1 hour ago, gemini said:

Interesting if he was being treated for depression.  If he was on SSRI meds, there is a known link to aggressive and suicidal *not sure on homicidal...issues with these meds in teens.  It is a black box warning in the States.

I agree from a medical point of view - it is well documented that the initial activation of a depressed person by medication carries a risk of suicide etc.

23 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

Odd you mention Dunblane. Why does that have a 100 year gag on it?

http://www.dunblaneexposed.info/

4 minutes ago, taylormario said:

Not even covert, he was mayor of Istanbul for the Islamist Welfare party in the 1990s. OK, he supposedly abandoned Islamist policies to found the AKP, but sounds a bit like the Nazis changing tactics from armed seizure of power to using politics (albeit with underhand violent tactics).

1 hour ago, LisaJK said:

Ban hand guns, no gun based Amoklauf in the UK since they did that. Farmers still have shotguns and dear stalkers still have rifles, but they are all closely monitored by the police. I know because a friend used to work for the UK police doing it.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, that is not really true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

1 hour ago, dumbbell said:

back home i saw plenty ppl complain how violent the african ameraicans are, maybe not in public, but ppl do complain abt it. myself being told so many times some parts of the bay area are no-go places.

but here in germany i didn't experience any similar words as before. what happened?

the african americans in germany are mostly from military community and well-educated, in two words: the middle class. back home?

you guys could never image what does social class mean to a kid.

1 hour ago, SA_Drone said:

The issue is not race, it's poverty.

Which IMHO is what dumbbell was saying - getting out of the dumps financially and education wise is the key to cutting crime and radicalization.

But this will take an entire generation...

1 minute ago, theGman said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, that is not really true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

OK, forgot about that one.

4 events in 18 years including Dunblain prior to 1996 and one in the 20 years since and that is now 16 years ago. There was an amnesty for handing in hand guns, not sure how long that lasted after Dunblain. I'm guessing that some were not handed in and there are now far fewer than then.