Mass shooting at shopping center in Munich

490 posts in this topic

I do want to take issue with the so called Balcony guy.  I know he acted instinctively, but he made the situation loads worse.  In these situations, and if you ever find yourself in this kind of situation, a person should actually be empathetic (even if you don't feel so) and try to talk them down.  Name calling...especially calling him a foreigner...just made the tragedy more likely to happen.

Ruby Wax has campaigned tirelessly to help destigmatize mental illness. You can be as mentally unfit just as often as you are physically unfit. 

As much as we seek explanations for this awful tragedy, I really hope that incidents like this (or Columbine etx.. ) don't lead people to automatically think anyone with any kind of mental health issue is some evil, deranged, unstable homicidal maniac.

The guy was clearly unhinged whichever way you look at it. 

What impressed me reading Münchner Merkur this morning was an article on the solidarity shown to people in need.

The Twitter hashtag #opendoor #offenetuer offered stranded commuters a place. I believe this started during the atrocity during the Boston marathon. 

It looks like worldwide we are going to have to live with this, until the epicentre of the terrorism is incised. Given it is Wahhabism we know where that leads.

In the meantime we need to rebuild Toytown, that's us foreigner who live here. The locals are too frightened to say anything openly, but we are not. Many of us live here long term, married into Germany, raised families, worked for their companies, I think we need to stand up on behalf of the people here who are too scared to open up about the situation.

I feel a new thread coming on...

3 minutes ago, SA_Drone said:

I have searched and searched and the only source I can find for the Allahu Akbar thing was CNN. German media has nothing about it whatsoever. Nobody else picked up on that, which leads me to believe it was just someone talking out their ass and trigger-finger American media picked up on it.

or the German media does not want to acknowledge it.

It doesn't surprise me the sheer degree of groundless online speculation there was during the crisis phase. Everyone was looking for grist for their own political theory-mill, including some known politicians. Now it turns out that this incident was either "none of the above" or "all of the above" -- ie, it really seems to defy categorization, feeding all agendas equally. 

I don't see why we should live with handguns in society and mentally ill people being able to get hold of them.

Just ban them, they have no useful purpose in civilian hands. A few enthusiasts will be outraged, but not half as much as the victim's and their families.

1 minute ago, SA_Drone said:

Yeah, because I'm going to trust a source that spells McDonald's "McDondals" http://imgur.com/a/O3RRU

Don't knock the Mail. It is the only rag which along with Express had the balls to mention the paedophilia scandal in the UK. The story behind that is enough to make Watergate look a tizzy.

E.I there have been a number of people...most people...on this board stating "don't speculate".  We do not know all the facts...and nor do you. 

2 minutes ago, YoRambo said:

As a Hindu who has lived in a Muslim majority city and has schooling with many Muslim students.. I can only say that  you are watching a lot of TV.. And your opinion is colored by what you are hearing in news all the time.. 

No, these are my own informed opinions. I did read the Koran many years ago. I even designed an Electronic Koran in 3 languages for a client many years before the existence of Smartphones.

2 minutes ago, LisaJK said:

No, these are my own informed opinions. I did read the Koran many years ago. I even designed an Electronic Koran for a client many years before the existence of Smartphones.

Islam by no means has a monopoly on outrageous sexism against women. Read the Bible recently?

Now if your post had said something like "I have decided that I now hate organized religion", you might be on the right track.

27 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Well although we are all scared of IS I don't think this had anything to do with this death cult.

It seems to have more in common with the Winnenden school shooting a few years back.

What angers me is that Angie was nowhere to be seen. She didn't have to say any concrete details as none were know, but she should have as leader been expressing sympathy for the victims. Other leaders, Obama, Hollande, even Boris the pisshead went on the telly. She has to resign, hell even Chris Evans went over a silly TV show.

I think more highly of Merkel because because she didn't feel stupidly obliged to ham it up for the cameras in a situation the professionals were handling.

I'm not one who is highly enthusiastic about the police, let's say, but I have to agree that the official comportment in this case was so far top-notch. Waiting to make sure you know stuff before you feed media speculation? What an awesome concept.

8 minutes ago, gemini said:

I do want to take issue with the so called Balcony guy.  I know he acted instinctively, but he made the situation loads worse.  In these situations, and if you ever find yourself in this kind of situation, a person should actually be empathetic (even if you don't feel so) and try to talk them down.  Name calling...especially calling him a foreigner...just made the tragedy more likely to happen.

That guy absolutely escalated the problem. <_<

Just now, SA_Drone said:

Islam by no means has a monopoly on outrageous sexism against women. Read the Bible recently?

Oh yes, I read that too. If you look back at my earlier posts, I did say all religions and I include many isms (communism, Nazism...) in my totally negative opinions of religion.

7 minutes ago, gemini said:

E.I there have been a number of people...most people...on this board stating "don't speculate".  We do not know all the facts...and nor do you. 

I never mentioned this board specifically, but online in general. I'm not sure I see where I claimed to have all the facts?

2 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I think more highly of Merkel because because she didn't feel stupidly obliged to ham it up for the cameras in a situation the professionals were handling.

I'm not one who is highly enthusiastic about the police, let's say, but I have to agree that the official comportment in this case was so far top-notch. Waiting to make sure you know stuff before you feed media speculation? What an awesome concept.

Mark the calendar, Eupathic Impulse. I am giving you one heartfelt greenie, not that you care about points. :D
I personally am glad that Merkel didn't rush in and make a statement, like other heads of state did. Sometimes it's better to be calm and hold back on statements that will only stoke the fires of speculation. But that's just my opinion. Others wish Merkel would have quickly made an official statement while the horrific event was still underway, and they are welcome to their opinion on that.

So basically, I agree with everything you said except maybe for your sentiments about the police. However, perhaps you are a little like me. I would never make the sweeping generalization of "I love the police", period. I'd rather pick and choose which police in which country I find to be competent and fair officers of the law, those who are not corrupt officials or abusers of their clout.  Because there are two kinds of police out there, the good and the bad. Just like people, good and bad.

My hat goes off to the Bavarian police for the competent, calm and professional way they handled things.

1 hour ago, dumbbell said:

ehhhh, am I the only person who does not see any connection between Islam and this shooting case? 

it's simply af, he grew up as immigrant in a slum community and he was treated like a piece of shiet by the ppl around him and he probably didn't receive any recognition in his life. Do you think it will make any difference what kinda religion he follows?

If he was east european he'd probably join some mafia and steal cars? if he was viet he'd probably end up in some asian restaurant and help money laundrering? if he was english he'd probably end up as some hooligan?  

If I was him? I don't know what I would do thb...

You're not the only one. There are many of us, the fact wingers (as opposed to right wingers and left wingers), we just do not feel to spread hysteria and panic in 100 of forum messages.

If you call someone a dog, they will sooner or later start barking. I mean, the besorgte shittalk "Islam islam islam islam islam terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists" is the main reason why this guy came to this idea. Police found a book "Amok im Kopf - Warum Schüler töten", it was probably about 2009 school boy shooting, his father was in Schützeverein and he took his gun. Plus there were some newspapers with articles about shooting.

So, all these news about shootings will give another frustrated teens ideas how to get mad. Sadly.

P.S. Wikipedia article about Winnenden shooting for the reference. Back then it was also a 17 years old who killed 15 people and himself. This guy definitely followed his example but he went to OEZ instead of own school.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoklauf_von_Winnenden

22 minutes ago, SA_Drone said:

You're right, clearly this outlet is the paragon of journalistic virtue: http://indy100.independent.co.uk/image/11456-it25aw.jpg

Gimme a break.

No I won't. What would you trust, the Guardian? Because since about four years that paper has gone downhill. Yes our beloved Graun has been taken over. Have you dropped a comment there BTL? Bit difficult now.