Mass shooting at shopping center in Munich

490 posts in this topic

Someone else who couldn't sleep

BBC

Gunman was Iranian-German

Posted at01:43

Police have added that the gunman had dual nationality - Iranian-German. He was found dead in a side street in the vicinity of the shopping centre.

Depressing day, catching up on the last few hours of the postings shows what a sad state we are in- going back to bed :-(

We do indeed live in interesting times. This shooting as sad as it is is not the last. all one has to do is to roam the internet to find out how complex life has become.

My daughter and her family were in Munich two weeks ago and I warned them to be careful. Shootings occur everywhere and there is no guarantee it couldn't happen to you.

If the shooter was indeed an Iranian-German, it shows that if you try to sit on 2chairs at the same time you are asking for trouble.

I couldnt sleep too. Just been catching up on news. Wait a moment - an 18 year old german iranian with a voice like that? On hartz 4? Who marches and struts in such an odd way according to footage? Where and when did an 18yr old get trained on handling firearms? Immediately upon his 18th birthday? None of that makes sense - not that its supposed to.

Thank the stars he has stopped. From the grainy footage I noticed the shooter looked barrel-chested and I was getting even more worried he had something there under his t shirt.

Those poor families of the 10... Lets just hope the 3 in critical condition pull through. 

Nice post Chocky, glad your still lurking and take the time to say something when it needs to be said

@someonesdaughter

Give it a rest. All those rumours were spread on German sites as well, creating all the confusion. I read them.

Anyway, by the sound of it, you jump to wild conclusions yourself about people.  

So hard to find any background on this guy, in terms of school and work history and nothing on his mental history of family background.  But if he was yelling about Hartz IV and presumably how unfair it is...YET he was able to come up with the money to purchase a black market gun, which I assume is not cheap. 

CNN already says that he was living in Munich for two years. His previous residence is still unknown.

Absolutely heartbreaking. The attacker specifically slaughtered children. There were fake ads of fun event for kids with free food, which gathered many kids in one place. 

1 hour ago, gemini said:

So hard to find any background on this guy, in terms of school and work history and nothing on his mental history of family background.  But if he was yelling about Hartz IV and presumably how unfair it is...YET he was able to come up with the money to purchase a black market gun, which I assume is not cheap. 

Exactly. I know times have changed since I left home, but when I was 18 and working part time studying the other, I could barely scrape enough money together for a deposit and rent in a SHARED flat, let alone a flat outright, or moving around cities like he seems to have done. There has to be money behind this - and if via crimes, most likely contacts. If his identity and age really is genuine, and say he was an orphan and in care until 16, wouldnt he have had some ongoing contact with social services? 

I wonder what happened at Karlsplatz Stacchus that triggered all the madness on Marienplatz and the strip. I was there at 19:30 and forces were deployed. But it looks like the attacker never left OEZ area until he killed himself...

8 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

I wonder what happened at Karlsplatz Stacchus that triggered all the madness on Marienplatz and the strip. I was there at 19:30 and forces were deployed. But it looks like the attacker never left OEZ area until he killed himself...

This is getting confusing and worrisome. My feeling is that the German Police lost track of the supposed other two attackers, and don'twant to create a panic by revealing it.

It seems really strange, he started by shooting people at the mall, then walked out, went to McDonald's for a happy meal, shot people there, and then I have no idea at what time that conversation took place between the guy on the balcony and the terrorist. Then finally shot himself in the mall. Can't buy that.

We need more clarity, but the details are just so clouded at the moment.

It was still full daylight when he was on the garage rooftop. But the footage showing the response teams going into "a" garage looked like it was much later/just slowly getting darker. I would have thought atop a garage rooftop is a sure way to be cornered. Maybe he got grazed by a bullet and managed to flee and then bled to death / shot himself in a side alley.

I dunno.  I see what you mean, @Erdmannbut I think it is also quite possible that with all the chaos there really was a high level of misinformation flying around.  The attack really could be as "simple" as it's now reported to be.

I can easily imagine people (perhaps tourists who lack German style sense of composure ;) ) getting something on a newsfeed downtown that led to a panic reaction, without any actual threats in the vicinity.

But yes, we definitely need more clarity.

I think it started at McDonalds. That's just opposite the entrance of the OEZ. So McDonalds, OEZ, car park roof. But then how the hell he got away from there I don't know.

Absolutely shattered at what happened last night. I came home to a volley of concerned messages...hadn't a clue.

I stayed up late, and woke early and don't somehow feel like doing much today. It was eerie last night, my street was so quiet, it felt weird.

Too many people with too many issues having too easy access to destruction. The poor families who now have to deal with the aftermath. And I even feel sorry for the family of the gunman, who not only have lost a child that was presumably loved, but also need to come to terms with the fact that he is a mass murderer

33 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

There was a lot of panic and false alarms, which caused police operations in several locations. It's all readable on German news websites with detailed timelines, like these for instance:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/schiesserei-mit-zehn-toten-jaehriger-deutsch-iraner-soll-der-amoklaeufer-von-muenchen-sein-1.3091576

http://www.tz.de/muenchen/stadt/anschlag-muenchen-schuesse-olympia-einkaufszentrum-einzeltaeter-terror-6602644.html