Mass shooting at shopping center in Munich

490 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Mr Metall said:

Not a right winger. The way he talked and his accent, I would say migratory background probably Turkish. 

The brave guy who scolded the shooter definitely has Bavarian accent, the shooter himself has no Bavarian accent.

6 minutes ago, desdemona said:

The brave guy who scolded the shooter definitely has Bavarian accent, the shooter himself has no Bavarian accent.

4 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Ossi...

The attacker is not an Ossi. He has a slight accent and choice of words (aka "Schwörerdeutsch") pointing to classic second generation immigrant background.

3 minutes ago, desdemona said:

A Bavarian will never say "ich bin Deutsche" when speaking to another German. They will self-identify as Bavarian (or Franke, their accent is not Bavarian). So, even without accent check it's clear that he is not from Bavaria.

3 minutes ago, Metall said:

The attacker is not an Ossi. He has a slight accent and choice of words (aka "Schwörerdeutsch") pointing to classic second generation immigrant.

Mmm, I thought that if one was born in Germany one has no accent (or local accent). At least in my experience this is the case. I know a couple or Russlandeutsche and they all have German accent while speaking Russian. But their German is akzentfrei.

From the Guardian '' Local media are reporting that a 15-year-old girl is among the dead and that injured children have been admitted to childrens’ hospitals in Munich.''

4 minutes ago, taylormario said:

The Lefts are hoping this is a right-wing nut-job, and the Rights are hoping this is a Muslim.

If Metall is right he is both! Right-wing Turkish Muslim dissatisfied with German immigration policy.

2 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

If Metall is right he is both! Right-wing Turkish Muslim dissatisfied with German immigration policy.

OMG! From tomorrow we will hear all the crap from Berlin beauties why we must defeat such hate with more Refugees Welcome banners.

10 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

He said 'ich bin hier geboren worden' wrong grammar! Maybe Deutsch als zweite Sprache.

29 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Mmm, I thought that if one was born in Germany one has no accent (or local accent). At least in my experience this is the case. I know a couple or Russlandeutsche and they all have German accent while speaking Russian. But their German is akzentfrei.

I don't agree. A lot of the poorer immigrant kids from, say, Neuperlach in Munich speak this kind of slightly impaired German in spite of being born here. (Less education = less contact with school and High German = more contact with family with poor language skills).

There even is a fad among wealthy kids here to talk that way, as I can hear on the subway every day.

what i wonder and what hasn't been mentioned, is what type of weapon was used. germany has such strict guns laws when a gun attack does happen, it is so d*mn troubling. and second, this video of the perp. who took it and why were they filming the mcdonalds at the time? also the video of the guy on the roof. where did that come from? those to me are very suspicious. i'm sure there is other security video footage or is that part of munich not have so much cctv coverage?

although i moved away from munich 10 years ago, i often went to the oez because 1) it was on a u-bahn and 2) it was much more comfortable shopping there than facing the crowds of marienplatz for example. and it was a shopping mall, something i missed from home. and the nearby olympiadorf is just a freaky, weird place. i have friends who grew up and still live there.

so much for Toytown munich. i remember the old desription: 

"Origin of the name "Toytown": The name came from the observation that Munich is not a real town. Real towns have litter, crime, visible poverty, heroin addicts lurking at the railway station, vomit on the pavements, and so on. Munich has none of this. Munich is not real. It's an ideological town where everything is perfect. The environment is clean, crime is very low..." :(

19 minutes ago, desdemona said:

He said 'ich bin hier geboren worden' wrong grammar! Maybe Deutsch als zweite Sprache.

The grammar ist superficially correct, but Germans don't express it that way in normal conversation. (If you can call yelling that.)

They say "ich bin von hier" in the Munich area.

I wouldn't diagnose a Turkish accent (as in consonants too soft)  from the audio, it sounds more generic poor immigrant. Maybe Eastern European, but not sure.

(And before someonesdaughter asks, I am that rare beast - a double native speaker ;) . My family speaks all sorts of languages.)

13 minutes ago, desdemona said:

He said 'ich bin hier geboren worden' wrong grammar!

Nope, it's' simply "Perfekt".

Ich werde geboren = Präsens, Ich wurde geboren = Präteritum, Ich bin geboren worden = Perfekt. (+ Ich war geboren worden = Plusquamperfekt, Ich werde geboren werden = Futur I,  Ich werde geboren worden sein = Futur II)

Maybe Deutsch als zweite Sprache.

Are you a native german speaker?

According to the German press, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière, cut short his holiday in the USA because of the attack in Würzberg. He then flew back to the USA to continue his holiday and now he is flying back to Germany again because of the attack in Münich.  I bet he is really cheesed off to put it mildly.

Angie is also on holiday but is being kept up to date about the situation in Münich.

11 minutes ago, Metall said:

The grammar ist superficially correct, but Germans don't express it that way in normal conversation. (If you can call yelling that.)

They say "ich bin von hier" in the Munich area.

Ahh that's right, that's why it sounds really strange. Never heard someone said 'ich bin hier geboren worden'. I'd usually hear 'ich bin hier geboren (und aufgewachsen)' or 'ich bin von hier' or 'ich bin Schwabe/Franken/etc'

10 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

According to the German press, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière, cut short his holiday in the USA because of the attack in Würzberg. He then flew back to the USA to continue his holiday and now he is flying back to Germany again because of the attack in Münich.  I bet he is really cheesed off to put it mildly.

Angie is also on holiday but is being kept up to date about the situation in Münich.

No wonder not a word from the Madame, both for Würzburg and Munich!

18 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Nope, it's' simply "Perfekt".

Ich werde geboren = Präsens, Ich wurde geboren = Präteritum, Ich bin geboren worden = Perfekt. (+ Ich war geboren worden = Plusquamperfekt, Ich werde geboren werden = Futur I,  Ich werde geboren worden sein = Futur II)

Are you a native german speaker?

No, someone's daughter, German is my third language. Thanks for the grammar lesson. Are you a German language teacher?