Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transferring Money to an English Bank Account

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I have got a question about transferring money from my german bank account to my british one. Does it cost any fees to transfer the money?? I know that they don't charge here in Germany, but what about the British side? Do they charge?

I've got my bank account at Barclay`s. Does anybody know??

If they charge, are there any banks which don't?

Advertisement: World First - Foreign exchange

First Direct dont charge, however my BB Bank here did!!.

Interesting point as I asked my German bank the other day if they could issue me with a UK cheque as I no longer have a UK bank account and they said no I would have to apply for a full cheque book. I dont see how they cannot give me one English cheque but I can have a whole English cheque book for a German account :wacko:

Dresdner Bank don't charge when the IBAN Swift code thingys are used, but LloydsTSB charged £7 when I sent money (£1000) to my UK account with them.

Don't know if this is a flat rate fee or not though.

I send money to my HSBC account in the UK every month and it has never cost me anything. When setting up the transfer (online with IBAN and BIC) I always set the destination currency to Sterling. My bank here convert the money at what seems to be the middle rate and HSBC send me a letter confirming the deposit.

If you set the destination currency to Euro, it may be that the recieving bank charges a conversion fee.

That's my 0.02€ anyway.

I send to HSBC in euros and they just convert it at a reasonable rate (better than tourist) and put it in my account - no charge that end! I have to pay this side as I have tried to set up internet bankink but so far have failed! I have 3 user numbers, 4 pin numbers and 4 Tans!!! The bank kept sending them to the wrong address then they all arrived together!

I transfer from DB to Barclays each month and the fee is nominal.

However, if you try to transfer the other way the bastards charge a fortune! :D

Easiesty way is to open a multi currency offshore account to deal with your UK and German requirements, Tax free, no hassle and cheaper than a German account where the hidden costs are despicable including conversion rates.

Try these guys www.forthcapital.com they are really helpful at finding offshore solutions for expats.Theyre based in Frankfurt and its a free service