Updates on Sunday shopping in Frankfurt

52 posts in this topic

I noticed a notice in a couple of shops e.g. Obi and some shoe shop on the Ziel in Frankfurt that they are opened on Sunday March 20th from 13h to 18h.

Why? Is there a special occasion? Help us to stock up for Easter?

Personally I'm delighted :D I'm furnishing my apartment and it is never ending as I never seemed to get all my shopping done on a Saturday and I can't shop during the week.

Sunday opening has become quite normal here now in most cities. It happens about twice a year, but in my experience, it's hell - more people that you ever see just before Christmas, you would think the shops weren't going to open again for a month!

It probably varies from Land to Land, but in Schleswig-Holstein the local authorities are allowed to declare up to 4 Sundays in the year when the shops can open. It must be in conjunction with some special event - e.g. a Spring Fair or something similar.

In officially recognised tourist areas the shops are allowed to open on Sundays from the beginning of April till the end of October. A few years back some shops in Berlin started opening on Sundays on the grounds that Berlin had lots of tourists. Not sure what happened about that in the end.

It's also Verkaufsoffener Sonntag in Kronberg next Sunday. Always a good excuse to set up a kiddies roundabout and sell a few sausages.

I can't be sure but I think the local politicians from FFM and Mainz wanted to give the shops a chance to open on another day because of the interference that resulted from dirty dubyas visit on Wednesday a couple of weeks ago.

A lot of business was lost and people were complaining bitterly about losing trade, wanting compensation.

The suns coming out!! :D

Like they all need an extra day to spend their Arbeitslosengeld.

I was at Wertheim Village (outlet center) this past week and saw that they will be open this Sunday. But I think that's part of a region-wide open Sunday.

refreshing old thread, are there any chances that Hessen will have sunday shopping?

according to wikipedia:

In 2004, the Federal Constitutional Court ruled against [19] lifting restrictions on Sunday opening, which is still confined to some small bakeries and convenience stores inside railway stations and airports. However, in 2006, the responsibility for opening hours was transferred to the state governments instead of the federal government, leading to an end to regulated Monday-Saturday opening hours in several states, such as Berlin.

I hope not to be honest.

Perhaps I belong to the people who have been here for too long but I don't need to shop on a Sunday. Oh and before anyone starts about not having time I am sure you are not as busy I am :P

It is nice that Sunday is a day to relax and enjoy yourself.

I was all for longer Saturday and mid week opening and love the fact that shops are now open until 10pm but please please please no Sunday opening!

Yes, you have been here for too long when your attitude is that nobody else should be allowed to do something just because you don't want to...

I would like it if the shops where open on sunday! 'cause often I'm tired on Saturday, doing just the necessary things like going to the supermarket and cleaning the apartment and than on Sunday I think now would be a good time to go shopping for clothes or stuff like that. Plus - I used to work weekend shifts - and loved it! I think there are always people who are ready to do weekend shifts - when it fits in their way of life. And I think it's not right to regulate it... why can't each business owner decide for himself when to open? (okay, okay - I know that is a bit "blue-eyed", but still... why restrict it!?)

I don't like the occasional open Sundays - it's far to crowded than!!!

i agree, but are there any plans to change it? i guess not :( it strange though, if this is something that local politics can decide, why not even one Land tried to change it?

Sigh... 'cause clerics and unions are too powerful :unsure:;-) But I'm sure it's gonna happen some day - these exceptions are our way to prepare the change... cushions the blow ;)

for Frankfurt, there is a nice supermarket near airport, and it's supposed to have normal prices, and it is open on sundays too :) so i guess my problem is solved. (of course it would be better to have more this kind of supermarkets everywhere, but it's better than nothing)

anyone knows other open supermatkers with normal prices, other than the one near airport?

Frankfurt is open this Sunday for shopping. I know that the Hessen Center will be open. I don't about the Zeil area. There is a website called Verkaufsoffeene Sonntag Deutschland that tells you what cities have SUnday shopping. Enjoy!

in the background on picture in this news http://www.thelocal.de/15043/20081021/ you can see 'vom montag 7 uhr bis samstag 24 uhr ' , it seems like from 7 to midnight, is it true?

i thought shops are only open from 8 to 22.

when i search it on kaufland.de it only shows shops opened til 22. so what is that?

in the background on picture in this news http://www.thelocal.de/15043/20081021/ you can see 'vom montag 7 uhr bis samstag 24 uhr ' , it seems like from 7 to midnight, is it true?

i thought shops are only open from 8 to 22.

It just depends on what the individual job owner finds appropriate.

The hessian law allows to open 24hours on business days (including saturdays)

Hessen gibt Ladenöffnungszeiten an Werktagen frei

Example: Nordwestzentrum:

Mitternachtsshopping am 01.11.2008!

Im NordWestZentrum können Sie am Samstag,

01.11.2008 entspannt von 10.00 - 24.00 Uhr

einkaufen und flanieren.

The shops are open in Frankfurt this Sunday, 3 May, from 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. in the city center and 2 p.m. – 8 p.m. in other parts of town. Verkaufsoffene Sonntage

Do your best to support the retailers! :D