Using iPhone while traveling in States

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone have recommendations for how to use my Deutsche Telecom iPhone SE for a two week trip in the States?

Switch off the data roaming, use free Wifi whereever you can and WhatsApp instead of SMS. That will keep the costs down.

Thankfully in the States, free wifi is much more widespread than in Europe, so that should tide you over in most cases. If you don't make any calls with the phone (or only very sparingly), and stick to using WhatsApp for text messages only, the impact on your bill shouldn't be too dramatic.

When I was there recently I just kept my phone in airplane mode the entire time.

The US also has several prepaid options (I use Boost when I go back), that assuming your phone doesn't need to be unlocked, should be able to use instead.  Yes to see whatsapp or use your German number you'll have to switch the cards back and forth.  Might be worth considering though.

Otherwise, yes most McDonald's, public spaces, Starbucks, Target, etc. all have free wifi at least for limited periods.