English Freemasonry Frankfurt

63 posts in this topic

For any Freemasons, of any nationaility in Frankfurt area there will be a new Lodge opened in the next 12 months in Frankfurt English Emulation under the Grand Lodge of British Freemasons in Germany, part of the United Grand Lodge of Germany.

Anyone who is interested or wants to affiliate or take part in the start up activities please PM me.

Thanks

2 hours ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

Will there be a funky handshake?

No, but you get to wear the funny hats.  And something involving goats...

Don't you guys have secret Masonic forums for posting this kind of thing?

Do you still have to kiss the chicken's asshole?

I don't mind, just as long as you get me a job with your Freemason connections!

With your comments, you are not Freemasons' material.

There is plenty of information to be found on Google. Just keep searching.

Freemasonry is looking for good and kind people, not sarcastic nobodies who don't know how to talk to other people without offending. P.M. Gaberlunzi

1 hour ago, gaberlunzi said:

Oh noes!  I'm crushed!

1 hour ago, gaberlunzi said:

Freemasonry is looking for good and kind people, not sarcastic nobodies who don't know how to talk to other people without offending

Seriously?  Heh, you're clearly fishing on the wrong forum.  But your arrogant and patronizing attitude does little to recommend the organization.

How did the thread turn negative so fast when the OP was polite? I don't get it.

Freemasonry may not be your bag, but there's no need to disrespect the topic. If you aren't interested, move on to another thread.

Pretty much all the men in my family are Freemasons back in the States, I'm the only one who's not. But I can say that every Mason-sponsored event that I've been to (a lot of barbecues and fundraisers and charity auctions) has always been a blast, and you meet some interesting people. The thing that kept me from ever joining (besides being an atheist) was uncertainty about any weird political baggage that the local lodge might carry ... in the southern US for example, there are still lodges that are pretty markedly racist/classist (which is weird considering the ideology of freemasonry is pretty opposed to those two things).

True on the sexism, however US Freemasonry also has women-only partner organizations, and both work together pretty much all of the time. Not sure about how it is in the UK.

There are even some mixed sex Freemasons.  And some in Europe will even admit members who do not believe in a God.!  Though think the brotherly love thing slips a bit between some of these groups.

But I think this new chapter is for men who believe in a God?

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

There are even some mixed sex Freemasons.

? There may be mixed-up masons, but there are no female masons. Lodges who allow female members do not belong to any recognized grand lodge.There is a concording 

organisation for the women. Politics and foul language is strictly tabu at lodge meetings and members are encouraged to do good to ALL people! Of course, it is understood that one is required to remember to help a fellow brother when help is needed.That judgment rests with the helping brother who does not need any prodding to help when he sees the need for it . It is the fellowship which you receive when you belong which makes it worthwhile to be a Mason. If you want to become a Mason you should know a Mason who can speak for you.

4 hours ago, SA_Drone said:

How did the thread turn negative so fast when the OP was polite? I don't get it.

The thing that kept me from ever joining (besides being an atheist) was uncertainty about any weird political baggage that the local lodge might carry ... in the southern US for example, there are still lodges that are pretty markedly racist/classist (which is weird considering the ideology of freemasonry is pretty opposed to those two things).

I think you've answered your own question.

Honestly, I don't have really have anything against free masonry, but the few contacts I've had with them (like this thread..."sarcastic nobodies..."?) have been mildly negative.  And I used to live near their grand, super-creepy "temple" in downtown Washington, DC, which makes a fairly strong negative impression (Why do they need that huge building?  How did they pay for it?  What do they do in there?).  And finally, sometimes it is hard to resist poking a little fun at the members of this ancient organization which, as everyone knows, secretly rules the world.  I'd have thought they'd have developed a thicker skin by now.

I almost joined up once. i remember being asked to questions.

1. Do you believe in God?

2. do you believe in brotherhood?

Now I answered yes to both, but sadly I left my workplace before I could join. My uncle was one, they help each other and look after your wives when the man passes on. I could be wrong, but in this modern era, is Masonry as a craft actually in crisis at the moment? As I understand it, the infiltration of Speculative Masonry in 1850 was a huge change for it, which allowed women into the ranks (Margaret Thatcher was made one when she become party leader I believe). 

I know something of Manly P Halls "Secret Teachings" and Albert Pike's "Morals and Dogma". I find the symbolism of such fascinating, personally.

11 hours ago, gaberlunzi said:

Freemasonry is looking for good and kind people,

No, it's not looking for "good and kind people"

Freemasonry is looking for men, not people - no women allowed.

And being good and kind won't help you if you don't believe in "the  Almighty Father and Supreme Governor of the Universe".

11 hours ago, gaberlunzi said:

There is plenty of information to be found on Google. Just keep searching.

Freemasonry is looking for good and kind people, not sarcastic nobodies who don't know how to talk to other people without offending. P.M. Gaberlunzi

Gotcha!  You been around Brits too long - great sarcasm above.

PS. on the offchance you were being serious, I can confirm that I am really good and kind.   Just ask my cat.

My understanding of the modern Masons is that its all about networking and getting a helping hand.

I spose that is more honest actually than old school tie.

@zwiebelfisch personally I have no idea (and frankly don't care much), but according to the thread expert on the topic, there are in fact no female masons:

2 hours ago, gaberlunzi said:

...there are no female masons. Lodges who allow female members do not belong to any recognized grand lodge.There is a concording organisation for the women. 

18 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

My understanding of the modern Masons is that its all about networking and getting a helping hand.

I spose that is more honest actually than old school tie.

Networking, helping hand, and charity stuff. Some lodges do more charity than others -- where I come from, the Shriners are hugely involved in helping fund children's hospitals and charities for child burn victims. At the very least, lodges will do a lot of fundraising dinners and whatnot.