Parcel Forwarding Scam

19 posts in this topic

I've just moved to Munich and I'm looking for work.  While I'm searching I saw a work from home opportunity, Euroforwarder.  I know what you're thinking, how can he fall for that but I did.  The site was convincing and I applied and was convinced by the employer etc etc.

Now, I shipped about 20 parcels when I started to smell a rat.  I stopped shipping and refused deliveries.  My employer was not pleased but I said I just wanted paying for the work I'd done.  Of course he has now disappeared and non contactable...surprise

surprise. I am in the process of sending back to the sellers all the parcels I have at home.  

But now the realisation has hit me that this was more than just a scam to not pay me.  It could be card fraud and I seem to have involved myself.  The worry is unbearable.

I have all the email communications and the link to his site.  I have all the addresses of where the items were shipped to.

Has anyone any tips on who I should speak to?....

I know you'll think I'm mad for falling for it but I did, I just need to sort this out as soon as possible.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Thompson said:

[...]   It could be card fraud and I seem to have involved myself.  [...]

You are not responsible for card fraud that your employer may or may not have committed.

I am not an expert in these matters but my first thought is that you should talk to customs (zoll.de) as this seems to be a case of employment fraud (and anything else running on top of it which you might not be aware of). I'd ask them first. Maybe they'll tell you it's a case for the police.

Cheers Smaug,  I'll give them a call.  I could kick myself for falling for this but I think I've got to try to sort it out before I get a knock at the door!

Yeah, it's a well know scam. Google "Paketagent" if you want to read more stories.

Employment fraud seems to be the least problem. These scams usually work on stolen credit cards or ordering without paying, so we're talking about charges such as money laundering here.

If these 20 packages you shipped were indeed ordered without payment, it's almost certain that there'll be consequences for this. At the very very least a Schufa record against you.

If you can afford it, go see a lawyer. An initial counseling (Erstberatung) from a Strafverteidiger usually costs between 100-150€ (ask beforehand). You're not required to carry on after that.

Otherwise, think about going to the police on your own. Bring all relevant records.

4 hours ago, Smaug said:

You are not responsible for card fraud that your employer may or may not have committed.

Well ... Taking part in criminal activities is taking part in criminal activities and

Ignorantia legis non excusal -> ignorance does not protect against punishment

To the OP:

Go and see a lawyer ASAP and talk to him, whether it would be wise to contact police before they contact you!

9 hours ago, Kevin Thompson said:

The site was convincing and I applied and was convinced by the employer etc etc.

Has anyone any tips on who I should speak to?

Hi Kevin

I hope the 'employer' didn't convince you to provide your DOB and bank account details 'to ensure safe transfer of your earnings'. If they did so be sure to keep a daily eye on your account and instruct your bank to stop any suspect payments to suppliers immediately they appear.

Technically, by signing for the packages, you're quite possibly liable to the suppliers for the value of the goods shipped.

Since it won't cost you anything to ask them I suggest you first visit the Verbraucherzentral (Citizens/ Consumer Advice Bureau) in Munich. They'll have lots of leaflets and brochures (some in English) advising you of scams such as these.

die Verbraucherzentrale Bayern - Consumer (Advice) Central in Bavaria

Although the advice to see a lawyer is valid the police are very familiar with this type of scam and, provided you've not compounded your error (e.g. by opening or selling on any packages), they will most likely be sympathetic and certainly glad to know the details of your case. http://www.polizei.bayern.de

Good luck, try to take better care in future, and don't worry too much.

2B

5 hours ago, Kevin Thompson said:

I'm gutted.  Very embarrassed and ashamed.

I will go to the police today

Think about it. I strongly suggest you seeing a lawyer BEFORE doing that! Only a lawyer can tell you what to say and what not to say. People in exact the same trouble were already fined:

http://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/augsburg/Paketagent-wenig-Arbeit-guter-Lohn-id28541377.html

This guy also forwarded about 20 parcels and got 9 months in jail (though he had a police record already).

5 hours ago, Kevin Thompson said:

I'm gutted.  Very embarrassed and ashamed.

I will go to the police today

Noooooo... Lawyer first.

On Wed Jul 06 2016 19:24:51 GMT+0200, Kevin Thompson said:

I've just moved to Munich and I'm looking for work.  While I'm searching I saw a work from home opportunity, Euroforwarder.  I know what you're thinking, how can he fall for that but I did.  The site was convincing and I applied and was convinced by the employer etc etc.

Now, I shipped about 20 parcels when I started to smell a rat.  I stopped shipping and refused deliveries.  My employer was not pleased but I said I just wanted paying for the work I'd done.  Of course he has now disappeared and non contactable...surprise

surprise. I am in the process of sending back to the sellers all the parcels I have at home.  

But now the realisation has hit me that this was more than just a scam to not pay me.  It could be card fraud and I seem to have involved myself.  The worry is unbearable.

I have all the email communications and the link to his site.  I have all the addresses of where the items were shipped to.

Has anyone any tips on who I should speak to?...

I know you'll think I'm mad for falling for it but I did, I just need to sort this out as soon as possible.

Hi Kevin, 

I've found myself in this same situation. Could you advise how this turned out?

I did it for 2 weeks before I stopped ND moved from Germany. A year later I moved back and the police have come to me and I don't know what to do...

Hope you're still around and can advise...  thanks much!

So... about a year ago, I *almost* got involved in a scam like this - however I got suspicious after they sent me the first packages but wouldn't provide me with any proof that they had been paid for, so I ended up returning the packages back to the stores involved instead of sending them on. After that, they never contacted me again and I thought it was all over. I didn't actually realise it was a known scam until much later so didn't think of going to the police or anything. Problem is, I have now received a ""Vorladung als Beschuldigte" from the Police for money laundering :( Should I go to the police and explain everything or do I need a (criminal?) lawyer? Can anyone tell me roughly how much a lawyer is likely to charge (I don't have legal insurance)? Any advice very welcome! I don't want to go to prison :huh:

39 minutes ago, bobajob said:

Problem is, I have now received a ""Vorladung als Beschuldigte" from the Police for money laundering :( Should I go to the police and explain everything or do I need a (criminal?) lawyer?

On 7.7.2016, 12:46:14, someonesdaughter said:

I strongly suggest you seeing a lawyer BEFORE doing that! Only a lawyer can tell you what to say and what not to say.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much a lawyer is likely to charge (I don't have legal insurance)? Any advice very welcome! I don't want to go to prison :huh:

As a first time offender you won't go to prison, lawyers fees are regulated by law – an initial meeting (where you ask the layer about the fees too) can set you back as much as 190€ + 19% VAT = 226,10€. 

If you have no money at all (you need to proof that) you have to apply for 'Beratungshilfe' at your local Amtsgericht, the state will pay the lawyer then.

On 18.8.2017, 15:28:42, Rica Step said:

I did it for 2 weeks before I stopped ND moved from Germany. A year later I moved back and the police have come to me and I don't know what to do...

Go and see a lawyer.

On 7/6/2016, 7:24:51, Kevin Thompson said:

Has anyone any tips on who I should speak to?...

Im very familiar with this but only from it happening in the states. I was a cop in california before we came here. When working patrol in 2016 I was sent to a call where a lady from another state reported her credit card was stolen and a computer was purchased online and shipped to an address in my town. 

I looked up the address and saw an identicle report was made a week later from another victim. I went to the address and contacted the person who was receiving the stolen property. He replied to an online add and started receiving packages at his house which he shipped to various places around the world. He was paid like $10 per ship through paypal. He didnt know he was the middle man for an identity theft and stolen property ring so per california law he wasnt really doing anything illegal cause he didnt have intent. He was told to knock it off which he did. 

I contacted the fbi about it. They told me they only investigate large scale theft and fraud in excess of $250,000 and would not look into it. The victims were out of state so it wasnt my issue. Who knows where the suspects were located but it appeared somewhere in eastern europe. Basically it would require numerous search warrants and man hours to solve with no guarentee of locating or prosecuting the suspects. 

Hello,

guys, I am in similar situation. I know it's stupid. I am new in Germany. I was looking for a job and I got this kind of job. I have done that job for 1 month. After that they didn't pay me. Till then, I didn't understand what happened to me. Last week receive a letter from police and I have a hearing in coming Friday. I am looking for a lawyer. I want to know, what will happen after police hearing? What will be the consequences? 

Sorry, but you're in a lot of trouble. You're an accessory to (international) mail fraud, among other charges.

The most important thing for you to know is that if you don't think your German is sufficient to follow the proceedings, you have the right to an interpreter at every step. Make use of this.

You might be able to arrange a reduced sentence if you give them useful information, but you're usually just one link in a long chain, so it's unclear just how useful your information can be. But cooperation with the authorities in an investigation will almost always work in your favor.

57 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Sorry, but you're in a lot of trouble. You're an accessory to (international) mail fraud, among other charges.

The most important thing for you to know is that if you don't think your German is sufficient to follow the proceedings, you have the right to an interpreter at every step. Make use of this.

You might be able to arrange a reduced sentence if you give them useful information, but you're usually just one link in a long chain, so it's unclear just how useful your information can be. But cooperation with the authorities in an investigation will almost always work in your favor.

I am international student. I don't know what to do. My question is, will they sent me to jail or will they deport me to my country, if I can't prove that I am innocent? I will always proceed with lawyer. I am in complete dark. 

5 hours ago, Ahamod said:

My question is, will they sent me to jail or will they deport me to my country, if I can't prove that I am innocent?

You are not innocent. Start by assuming that (to your lawyer). Now it´s time to do damage control.

Some good tips on what to do here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.berlin.de%2Fpolizei%2Faufgaben%2Fpraevention%2Fbetrug%2Fartikel.400419.php