Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder... what now?

32 posts in this topic

I have been diagnosed with BPD and it seems to explain an awful lot of "shit"  that seems to follow me around.

Broken relationships, no friends, alcohol and drug abuse, lost jobs. I really want to fit in and be happy but alas it seems I am destined to be an asshole for the

rest of my life unless I get some treatment. I have a young daughter who is beautiful and loving and I very much want to be part of her life and not destroy that

relationship. I sometimes wish I was dead or that I would die because of the way I feel. I feel angry most of the time and  do not understand why. I was physically abused as a 

very young child and  I have never been able to shake that off.

Are there any English speaking self-help groups in Munich?

Strangely, the Borderline Plattform (http://www.borderline-plattform.de/) doesn't list any self help groups near to Munich, German or otherwise. The closest are Stuttgart or Tübingen. Hopefully somebody else knows of something.

It might be wise to at least try to find a German speaking group first - you never know if you find a sub-group who are happy to speak English with you.

You asked for "Self help"... so here, Help yourself first...

Get a grip...   Stop Drugs and Alchohol... 

You may just find hat when these two are absent... the others will follow suit!

Best wishes

2 hours ago, Duscholux said:

I have been diagnosed with BPD

By whom? (but don't mention names, please)

How long did it take for that diagnosis?

Dont start slinging names at me...   Either of you!

You havent done drugs or booze in 6yrs ....  then follow the advice and treatment that you doctor has prescribed and not ask for help from "Assholes"...   especially Assholes that have been there, got the shirt and pretty much keeps on  top of their Problem!

4 hours ago, Duscholux said:

I have been diagnosed with BPD [..]

Are there any English speaking self-help groups in Munich?

OK, you just called another member of this forum "asshole".

The thing about "self-help groups" is that some other folks (who might be steps ahead in recovering) will tell you things you don't want to hear. If you have the propensity to call those people "assholes" one has to question whether you're ready for a self help group yet.

Let me point out that the latest ICD-10 doesn't call this disease "Borderline" but "emotionally unstable personality disorder". Reading something on a forum, not liking it, and having the irrepressible urge to call the author "asshole" therefor... Isn't exactly that an "emotional instability"?

It is the year 2016 and you are responsible for your interaction with other people and you have to cope with being rejected when your way of interaction is inappropriate. Calling people asshole is inappropriate. The fact that you've been physically abused in the last century might be the cause or root of  that dysfunctionality, but it is no excuse.

Immediately stop using wrongdoings by others (in the past) as an excuse or justification of your inappropriate behaviour of today. 

Ignore him, he does insist on being an ignorant asshat most of the time. I don't get it either, nor do I waste my time on it.

OP, if you've been properly diagnosed as a Borderliner, then you need help. Pronto. There's all kinds of shit hanging around you and you can't do it by yourself.

Have you given any thought of checking into a clinic? If you are diagnosed as an adult, it must be even harder.

A self help group is no good - this is only useful AFTER you've had proper treatment. Take thee off to a Psychiatrist at once and get professional help.

Here's a list of really useful skills to have. And yes, this HAS to be done by you - there's no one else who can do it for you

https://www.verywell.com/coping-skills-borderline-personality-disorder-425412

http://amandagreenauthor.co.uk/skills-to-help-cope-with-difficult-emotions-and-borderline-personality-disorder-bpd-from-my-experiences/

24 minutes ago, Porky Pine said:

When you come on TT posting about the many real, horrible problems you constantly have with your daughter's mother, you get a show of compassion from Toytowners, quite understandably. 

Nobody knows for sure why SP is doing so. Perhaps he has gotten "counceling" and learnt that venting off the frustration into her face (as he has done in the past) is selfdestructive but venting off into some anonymous benign internet forum (as he does lately) is a way better coping strategy... Who knows.

BTW, my crystal ball is at the pawn broker right now, so I'll stop speculating at this point... :-)  

Silly question maybe, but if you've been professionally diagnosed wouldn't the professional who diagnosed you have more information about treatments and self-help groups?

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Dont start slinging names at me...   Either of you!

You havent done drugs or booze in 6yrs ...  then follow the advice and treatment that you doctor has prescribed and not ask for help from "Assholes"...   especially Assholes that have been there, got the shirt and pretty much keeps on  top of their Problem!

Er what name did I sling?  You seeing double?

2 hours ago, Duscholux said:

I haven't had a drink or used anything since 2010 asshole!

It would have been helpful you had mentioned that in your original post in which you adressed the subject of drugs and alcohol.

@More tea, Vicar?

I appologise, I sholdnt have included you in that statement..

Please PM me, When I try to PM you it clain I cant fukcing splle!

sp

15 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

When I try to PM you it clain I cant fukcing splle!

As this thread in general is about "special characters", I'll post this here, even though it is more of a technical advice... :-)

When a user has special characters in his/her nick name, and you're having trouble entering them, this is the way to PM:

bratz.png.2a44e3955e2796b3b9c71d37576f25

1.) Move the mouse pointer over the user's name (red square)

2.) wait a few seconds until that window pops up

3.) click on the message button (green circle)

It is very difficult for Borderliners to admit they have it. So you have already taken a huge second step. The first step was giving up alcohol & drugs. 

You're already doing very well. Don't get upset by SpiderPig. He is randomly abusive and best ignored.

Partners of Borderliners can gain a lot by reading the book Stop walking on eggshells

I would imagine it would also be very helpful to a borderliner trying to be less so.

If you have a partner give them the book. Understanding why your partner is so ... borderline is a great help.

As for self help groups, I'm doubtful. As mentioned earlier people have big problems accepting they have this.