English-speaking driving schools in Munich

80 posts in this topic

I did end up registering with Peters Fahrschule (as they are 5 min from where I live). I'm learning with their instructor Mara, and had my first lesson this week, which went better than I had expected...so far so good!

I'm lucky that I don't have to sit through the painful theory classes as I already have a license...I'm mainly doing this so I can drive manual transmission and convert my Aussie license

Finally I got the license...

I wonder why there were many positive feedback for "Fahrschule Christine Timmer".

If you know the driving already...It could be the right palace to change your license to German one.

If you start from the scratch....STAY AWAY FROM CHRISTINA TIMMER. The only advantage - she speaks English...at the end it does not make any difference...You pay more for everything...250€ more for English theroy classes...few €s more for all practical classes...She will ask you take more classes then needed...There were many of us who were frustrated...

What I recommend is the do not go to this school only because they speak English. That was the mistake I did.

There are many schools are cheap and good. They may say they dont speak English but you can manage it...I learnt this lesson after spending 2800€. My other friends from the same school spend 3500€ and 3200€. That is hell lot of money.

I started asking in my office/friends how much they spend in other school...They spend not more than 2100€.

So think twice before going to this school.

2800 is really a lot if you didn't had failed any exam.

I recently did with Petersfahrschule in Haidhausen. I passed both theoretical and practical test in first attempts and in total I paid about 2100 Euros to the Fahrschule as I did everything from scratch, learning driving and its rules. Although I am Ok with that money spent and obtained the driving license but I really felt there could have been a better school or teacher that could have helped me to get license in bit less money. The teacher was often getting very angry during practical lessens on smaller mistakes and panicked me a lot so due to that I had to take a bit more practical lessons to finally pass the test (I can't say if the teacher was really short tempered or was doing that to make more money)

There are of course many Driving teachers/schools that are not very honest in training people in the least money.

However, after discussions over this with many friends I reached to the conclusion :-

- Always go to a good driving school(what's that? let say, with some good references) even if it charges a bit more. The cheap schools can make you fail the test many times and at the end you would have to pay a lot more than a relatively expensive school.

- Do the stuff with a will and take the both exams seriously and without bigger intervals.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Christine_Timmer_Driving_School"

Above page says

"complete course from scratch, including test and license, will cost €1,400"

That is not true. It suppose to be 2500€ or more.

I could edit myself, but I think that is not appropriate as a dissatisfied student/customer from that school

Cheers!

I did not had time to mention in my previous posts...an experience with Christine Timmer Driving School

One day they booked a date for my driving test. I suppose to start the test from TUeV office. So few days before the test they asked me take four practical classes around TUeV to get familiar in that area. It was fine I had four classes.

Later from some reason the date got cancelled and next time I had to start test from the school itself. For this time again they asked me to take four practical classes around the school, ridicules!. After negotiating I had to take two practical classes.

So if you in that school already...Watch out for these extra unnecessary classes.

Whatever I mentioned is my own experience/opinion. It don't have to match with others. I thought what happened to me was not fair and wanted to share with others.

Cheers!

I did end up registering with Peters Fahrschule (as they are 5 min from where I live). I'm learning with their instructor Mara, and had my first lesson this week, which went better than I had expected...so far so good! I'm lucky that I don't have to sit through the painful theory classes as I already have a license...I'm mainly doing this so I can drive manual transmission and convert my Aussie license

So nearly 3 months after I started doing lessons at Peters Fahrschule, I sat for my theory and practical test last Wednesday, and was happy to say I passed without too much hassle...I was a bit nervous going into the driving test to be honest, but it went a fair bit easier than I expected...from what I recall, it didn't even last the 45minutes I was told to expect, and there was nothing complex I had to do (i.e. going on the Autobahn or doing emergency braking)...I guess the TÜV guy just wanted to get it done quickly so he could go for lunch or be done for the day :P

But yeah, overall I had a pretty good experience with my instructor Mara, and would definitely recommend her and the driving school in general. She speaks excellent English, and was a pretty good teacher in general, apart from the handful of times when I scared the shit out of her I'm sure! My Umschreibung (transfer) did cost just over €1100 though, as I decided to learn manual tranmission here..

Here's a breakdown of my costs:

Registration fee: €89

14 Driving Lessons at €36/45min: €510.51

Driving test: €160 (as I did the theory and practical on the same day, I didn't pay for the theoretical test)

TÜV fees: €120.08 (of which €20 was because I did the theory test in English)

Theory book+sample tests: €80

Führscheinstelle fee: €42.60

ADAC licence translation: €49

Additional translation: €37*

First-Aid course: €20

Eye Test: €6.47

TOTAL: €1,114.66

* I had to spend the extra €37 for translating a driver licence history report because my Victorian licence stupidly doesn't mention an issue date, which I suppose is an important piece of information...so just the translation of my licence was not enough, and was the main reason it took me nearly 3 months instead of the <2 months that I expected as VicRoads took their sweet time in getting that piece of paper to me). So a word to the wise...if your foreign licence doesn't have a date of issue on it, you will need to get something that states when you first got your licence!

Sorry folks but if you are registerd as living in Germany then you must learn to drive here.You cannot go back home and do it.New law passed in January.If you wante to go back home and do it in EG Great Britain you must register as living there and be resident for six months.Thats the same all over europe.

Hey Guys..

can anyone recommend a good Driving School here in Munich? preferably with English speaking instructors ...

to cut a long story short , I have a drivers license but it's not issued in the EU and so i was told to enroll in one of those schools in order to get an EU one .

rumor has it that the whole process costs an arm and a leg :unsure: Hope that's not true..

Cheers,

Silhouette1981

I just passed my driving test (so relaxed I am now :)) this week itself and I would like to share that my experience with Christine Timmer school was excellent. I took around 6-7 classes (each double with around 90 minutes) before the practical test and Ms Timmer was my instructor from the school. She was very calm and patient with her approach. she kept reminding me about my weak areas and we practiced them more. This was my first attempt and everything went well. I would Highly recommended her school.

For all you americans you may find this thread one day. You don't actually have to take all 12 driving classes, some states from the USA have a law with Germany that will allow you to transfer your American license to a German one. You still need to pass the driving test, but taking one or two even three driving courses should be enough for you to learn stick shift.

I had my lessons at Peter Fahrschule in Rosenheimer strasse. I passed my tests both theory and practical test in the first try.

I did my theory practice online, but still have to take the theory classes. I just had to be there to sign and left when finished.

After one liter of tear and almost 2,500 euro, I got my license. It considered quite a lot of money as I did not fail any test.

My driving instructor was Peter (who owns the school). He has a lot of experience but sometimes he got me really frustrated. There wasn't any lessons that after I felt I could drive well. There was always something Peter found that I wasn't good enough. I guessed he was tough for a reason. He wanted me to pass the test. (He didn't have to be mean, did he?)

He speaks English, perhaps not the same level as Mara, but in a communicative level. I would recommend this school to anyone who doesn't speak German.

I must say learning to drive in Germany is very stressful. I don't speak German which makes it harder for me to remember the traffic signs. When I took my practical test, the examiner also refused to speak English (I know he can speak English because in the end he did speak English to me). Peter prepared me very well. Every lessons he would give me instructions in German such as turning left or right or traffic light etc. and he helped translating during the test.

anyway, best of luck everyone!!

oh, I have a driving test material to sell (as I passed my test, finger crossed). PM me if interested.

For any non German speaking expats, Fahrschule 1plus is NOT the one to go to! They jack up prices in the middle of your contract and blame your English language skills if you stand up. They sell you ‚English‘ app which have description in German! Waste of money and time... I am looking for a place where I can complain about them. They don’t even make a driving plan which they are suppose to according to their own contract.. horrific experience !!!

my GF took driving classes at the Driving School J. Harzer in München www.fitzumfahren.de

1. the instructor couldn't advice about how to use the rev counter (tachometer), and insisted on changing gears depending on the car's speed, not engine speed. I remember how my GF asked me at which "speed" do I usually change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and I kept answering "at 2500RPM for efficiency on a petrol car, 2000-2300RPM on a diesel car". when I realised that she meant travelling speed as opposed to engine speed, I stared blank back at her. apparently questions such as "in which gear do you have to be when doing 30 or 50km/h" were quite usual. I had to re-programme her by explaining that different gearboxes from different car manufacturers can have different rev ranges for the same gears. at that moment she gave me then the same blank look I first put. basically I had to explain her what a gearbox does and how does a car behave at various engine speeds.

2. the instructor didn't teach her how to use the bloody brake pedal, and insisted on using engine braking in order to save fuel and be eco-friendly. his words of choice were "think about the polar bears"

3. the instructor also insisted on a I-don't-know-which-formula for calculating the braking distance depending on travelling speed. then I've shown my GF various braking tests with various cars, including sport cars and regular ones. Plus a TopGear episode on braking distances. I remember teasing her with the comparison between a Porsche with sport brakes and a Golf V. BTW, she loves TopGear because Clarkson/Hammond/May make her laugh with their comments on everything

3. parallel parking and taking the parked car as reference?? nooo, always use the on-board backup camera!!!

4. they did the more expensive motorway driving sessions quite at the beginning, with my GF having very little experience behind the wheel. how can you make someone who's driven only 5x before go +150km/h on the motorway, plus having to figure out which gear to use for quickly taking off, with a huge lorry going by in a menacing way while still on acceleration lane?

Result? she ended up confused and hating driving lessons, and we changed the driving school.

So I've come into a small inheritance. Really not much but enough to get a licence sorted. Does anyone have any recent experience of English speaking teachers?

I would like to nail a manual gearbox test after my basic one; how does this work in Germany?

1 hour ago, Dark History Tours said:

I would like to nail a manual gearbox test after my basic one; how does this work in Germany?

It doesn't !

Either you take one test allowing you to drive both manual and automatic transmission cars,

or you take a test allowing only automatics.

Lots of driving schools have simulators these days. Many an hour spent sat

in front of screens with realistic pedals mean that when you finally graduate to a real

car on a real road, changing gear and coping with clutches isn't such a hurdle.

Good luck!! 

3 hours ago, Dark History Tours said:

So I've come into a small inheritance. Really not much but enough to get a licence sorted. Does anyone have any recent experience of English speaking teachers?

Just take the test in manual and make your life easier. 

@mannes

Lessons on the Autobahn more expensive, how much? Is one expected to do 150 kmh?

Often that is not possible, I thought 130 kmh max was recommended.

I do not really look at the rev counter, generally you should change up as soon as possible and in many situations change down as late as possible. Perhaps you learn "too much" in driving school.

On 06/09/2021, 22:29:39, HH_Sailor said:

It doesn't !

Either you take one test allowing you to drive both manual and automatic transmission cars,

or you take a test allowing only automatics.

Lots of driving schools have simulators these days. Many an hour spent sat

in front of screens with realistic pedals mean that when you finally graduate to a real

car on a real road, changing gear and coping with clutches isn't such a hurdle.

Good luck!! 

I had lessons back in the early 90's in the UK and automatics were an exception, rather than the rule. If anything, the concept of an automatic gearbox over a manual is what is throwing me. I'm sure I'll get used to it