English-speaking driving schools in Munich

80 posts in this topic

i got my licence here (well, near passau because thats where my hauptwohnsitz is) a couple of weeks ago. took me forever because i had to fit it in around work, and then obviously head down to passau for a couple of days at a time. and there were a few breaks in lessons which cost me loads of time.

the whole thing cost me in total around 2200 euro. :o

failed the first theory test (youre allowed 10 fehlpünkte, i got 11 :/ ) but passed the practical first time.

you can do it in english (theory, lessons and test - check with your driving school) but i did it in german just for the craic.

i had considered doing it in ireland for the cheapness, but the missus drove around in ireland for two years and was horrified by the standard of driving so to be allowed drive her lovely golf I Karmann sport line cabriolet, i had to do it here.

bear in mind, you will have a probezeit of two years (there are courses you can do to drop that to 1 year) after you get your licence where your legal alcohol limit is much lower than normal and if you get caught speeding/messing around youll be suspended and sent back to driving school to spend another few hundred/thousand euro learning why what you did was a very very very bad idea.

Hi,

I am sure that this topic has come up before but I am going to ask anyway. I am Australian and have been living in Germany for quite some time (over 5 years). I have an Australian drivers licence which to my understanding isn't valid and not possible to change. This being the case I have decided to take the plunge and enroll in a German driving school to fianlly get my german licence. I live in Schwabing at the moment, can anybody recomend a good cheap driving school in the area?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Topics merged by admin

I just passed my driving test and thought I would share some info. Cost me just under €2,200 in total (I took more classes than average because after a bad experience when I tried first time in Ireland 13 years ago I was particularly nervous - scared shitless in fact - and had avoided getting a licence ever since.

Here's an overview of the costs. I did everything in German, you'd have to allow for a couple of hundred more to do both the theory and the practical in English I reckon (theory I think is about €35 extra, interpreter for the practical about €150 in my school).

FEES Total: €527.58

KVR Registration fee: €43,40

Driving school registration fee: €99,00 (special offer, their normal price was €199)

Book and Theory Test Papers €85,00

Driving school theory test fee: €80,00

KVR Theory test fee €10,35

Practical test TÜV fee €79,83

Driving school practical test fee €130,00

CLASSES Total: €1,612

Normal class per 45 minutes: €32

12 Mandatory classes (je 45 minutes at €44): €492

Also paid €20 for the mandatory first aid course - 6 hours long, a bit boring but you learn some good stuff too.

My school was not the cheapest, I know, but I wanted a very small school and of the places I visited this one just clicked with me. There can also be hidden costs if you fail a test - make sure you ask before you agree; you may have to pay the school registration fee again if you fail - that is not the case with my school.

The theory test is perfectly manageable - it does require A LOT of time and concentration though but IF you put that in you will pass; it is pretty much common sense and learning by heart. I was a nervous wreck in the pratical test because I just turned to jelly on the day but I somehow pulled it off - having my teacher with me helped and the examiner was incredibly nice and understanding and calming. A world away from my experiences at home. It is expensive here but it really is an excellent, thorough and effective process - I have so much confidence now and I am great at parallel parking... something I never thought possible! They taught me a foolproof set of rules and guidance points for every position, I tried them out and the job was done!

For German prices I think thats pretty reasonable. Its always been FAR more expensive in Germany than UK!

My son (18 yrs) recently completed his driving course and passed his test. Total costs were 1970 Euro. We were satisfied with the local driving school (that up here in Schleswig-Holstein).

Have to say that he's been driving cars on the local airfield since he was 14 so he had a bit of a flying start (ouch) and on first practical lesson was able to get car moving, change gears without stalling the engine. Had to learn everything else - and in his case there wasn't a language difficulty.

Just got my License in Munich and wanted to put in a good word for Christine Timmer. She spoke very good English and was very flexible with scheduling. I took 2 lessons then my practical exam. The exam was almost the same route as one of my practice rides. ;)

As far as the written exam, I just bought a set of exams on TT. Studied them and took the exam - no problems. No reason to spend money on attending classes.

http://www.fahrschule-christine-timmer.de/

I can also second that recommendation. I passed first time, which was all you can really ask for.

Someone told me last night that the NZ-German conversion is now just a straight swap with no need to sit the exams. Damn...I only recently spent ca €500 to do the exchange with all the exams etc!!

Hi,

I am looking for a driving school especially who can teach me in English in the city. If any one of you know could you please let me know?

Thank you so much

regards,

sensan

Topics merged by admin

Hi,

I find that its very difficult to learn in Munich if Driving School is not good. They can make your learning a very bad experience. They can cheat you at every step.

Fahrschule-Christiane-Timmer is very good as I have heard. But don't go to Fahrschule Rausch for sure. Be careful to select driving school and their pricing of reading materials.

Like the previous person I also highly DO NOT recommend Fahrschule Rausch. There is nothing more stressful to be a foreigner and to be speak so so German and then have the instructor speak to you only in German and be rude. In addition the secretary is also very rude.

A question to you all. My current situation: I passed already my theory test and did not pass my first practical test, At this point can I switch schools? I feel like I've paid all this money and the guy is a complete idiot at explaining things. I learn more from my husband than the instructor and unfortunately I can't practice driving with my husband.

Could any one recommend me some driving schools in Munich who speaks English?

thanks

Topics merged by admin

Anyone knows a good driving school that has theory lessons in English?

Preferbly around Bogenhausen, but not necessary...

thanks.

Topics merged by admin

A question to you all. My current situation: I passed already my theory test and did not pass my first practical test, At this point can I switch schools? I feel like I've paid all this money and the guy is a complete idiot at explaining things. I learn more from my husband than the instructor and unfortunately I can't practice driving with my husband.

You can.But only in designated areas. ADAC has a place near Augsburg where someone with a valid license can sit beside you .

http://www.sicherheitstraining.net/verkehrspark/augsburg/

For those who are considering taking the driving test (once you've completed the pathetic amount of training hours required) be aware that some 'testers' (ie. the tosser who I got) will only speak in German to you. And, if you're like me, you don't speak that much of it...you'll fail BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE'S SAYING... :angry:

250 Euro out the window in 10 minutes!

Wishing you all better luck than I had.

Anyone have any experience with Peters Fahrschule in Haidhausen? They seem to offer stuff in English, and I sent them a nice detailed e-mail from their website but didn't hear back...just wondering if they are worth it?

Also, as I can only drive automatic, I was thinking about learning stick-shift (given that 90% of cars in Europe are manual)...this doesn't mean that I have to do everything from scratch, right??

Anyone with similar experiences, please give us your feedback!

I am learning from Peters fahrschule in Haidhausen. They try to be nice with students. They have teachers who can speak English for practical lessons but for theory lectures they only deliver in German.

I am doing with them a) they can teach in English B) near to my apartment :)

Their receptionist can't speak English but if you ask them to speak English, they will arrange somebody for you to talk to you in English.

Since I have not completed the course, can't say much but so far seems to be going good.