English-speaking driving schools in Munich

75 posts in this topic

Has anyone here learned to drive whilst in Munich?

I am looking for a driving school and want to see what kind of prices are out there. So if anyone has any info I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that Katrina. I've already written to that woman asking for specific information.

It seems that the whole process is rather costly. For the normal B license you have to do a mandatory 14 theoretical lessons, 12 practical lessons (4 motorway, 3 nighttime & 5 cross-country [normal roads]) and then however number of actual lessons are required for the actual driving process. Then you've got some extra costs for the test itself and getting the license.

From the couple of schools I've checked this seems to clock in at around €1400 - €2000 before you get your license.

Am shopping around looking for something less frightening at the moment.

Hey Keydeck, my boyfriend is interested in getting his driver's lessons done too. Ask if you can get a discount for a group sign-up.

One place I spoke to today said that they would definitely do something of a discount (I always ask) if more than one person was involved.

I'm going to keep looking around for another week or so before making a final decision. I'll let you know what I come up with and perhaps we can take it from there.

So, I've found out that it's a bloody expensive business this learning to drive in Munich.

Here's the average costs for anyone who's interested:

Registration & Theory classes... 130-199

12 Special lessons (mandatory)... 420-495

Theory Test... 49-66

Practical Test... 130-160

KVR application... 45

TUV exam... 87.81

Those are the items that you must pay. The 12 special lessons involve 5 on normal roads, 4 on autobahn and 3 at night.

Normal driving lessons range from about 25 to 32 euro. Most of the schools I spoke to guesstimated about 10-20 lessons for the first timer learning, but then obviously it's different for everyone.

Assuming no outside assistance and let's say 15 of the normal lessons, you're going to be looking at approximately €1500 (but probably more) and about 3 to 4 months to get onto the road.

So, if anyone knows or has heard of somewhere in Munich that's undercutting all these prices then I'm all ears.

The figures above were based on the following driving schools:

• Christine Timmer
  • Peter's Fahrschule
  • Robert Rittmaier
  • Fahrschule Feichtmeyer
  • Fehr Fahren
  • Stefan & Marco Fahrschule
  • Fahrschule Eck
  • Fahrschule Harzer

Well, honestly I´m affraid you can not really cut these prices, in Munich, at least.

10-20 normal lessons to me it´s always a euphonious amount from driving school, but in my opinion far away from being realistic, especially if your driving school is located near the city centre.

One way to save a bit is looking for a driving school outside of Munich, maybe within the SBahn area.

I guess the price for a normal lesson is a bit lower there, plus you do not waste your time and money with trying to drive in the city centre before you feel prepared to do so.

Good luck with it! :)

prices stated above are normal.

I recently passed with "christine timmer". Recommended as she speaks good english.

Brilliant advice. Thak you all. If I can get off the beer long enough to have the required level of sobriety, I may be learning over here too. Damned expensive though. Might be cheaper to go stay at my mums for a couple of weeks back home and do an intensive course there?

As far as I am aware there is a certain amount of hours you have to do in Germany before you can have your license. And seeing as you aren't allowed to practise at all (in that you aren't allowed to drive in the accompaniment of anyone except a qualified instructor until you have your license), all of these have to be paid for...

There are 12 mandatory driving lessons and 14 mandatory theory lessons. These have to be done and have to be paid for. However, for someone who has never driven before, you could at least save yourself some cash by getting an obliging friend or relative to help you out. For example, on any given Sunday you'll see plenty of people in the Olympia park carpark spluttering around in cars. Just need to find a big open empty space and you can at least learn the basic and have a practise.

back home..very popular/common amongst the more boisterous younger generation you just nick a motor and joy ride thus learning to drive in the process...

much cheaper and quicker. :P

given time and persuasion i am sure this will catch on over here (unlike greyhound racing) ..given the exhorbitant cost of motoring and such like..

good luck anyway keydeck. happy motoring.

I learned to drive here from scratch - i.e. never drove before, and the whole thing cost about Eur1400.

I did it through the Christine Timmer School everything was through English.

You *could* get some practice by jumping in someone else car in

some carpark somewhere, but if the police catch you, you're in deep

doodoo. (Which, in all likelihood folks, WILL happen, as curising

local car parks looking for evil is probably high on Munich's Criminal

Activity Agenda.)

What about refresher lessons?

I passed my test emm quite a few years ago now and havent driven since - well not legally anyway, and certainly not on the wrong side of the road :P I now have access to a car and would like to take some lessons to get my confidence back. I dont want to spend lots of money on it all either...any ideas?

Hello All! Just a quick question.

I need to learn how to drive and have decided to do it in Munich despite the cost. A number of driving schools have been mentioned to me including the Christine Timmer Fahrschule. Has anyone been to her or to any of the other driving schools in Munich? If so, would very much appreciate a quick note of your experiences, trials, tribulations, etc.

Thanks a mill. :)

Hiya

I went to Christine Timmer for a returning to driving course as I had a huge frontal smash (not my fault before anyone starts that one) nearly 5 years ago.

I hadn't driven since.

Christine got me back behind the wheel (in only 4 hours in total) and I am very grateful to her - she is a lovely lady, knows her stuff, has a very nice calming voice and speaks fluent English.

I'd recommend her, she isn't the cheapest but she is great (and say hi to her from me).

Katrina

Hi Katrina,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was talking to her on the phone the other day and she seemed really nice. She said I can just come along to the lessons whenever I want and register then.

There is another one near the Hauptbahnhof called Stefan and Marco's and their prices seem good. Is there a catch I wonder???!! ;)

I also did the driving license from scratch at Christine Timmer’s driving school and I would also recommend it. She speaks very good English and am happy to say I wasn’t ripped off and managed to get through both the tests in one go. And another thing, I’ve heard that the failure rate in the theory test is about 25% and on the day I did it, there were 10 of us and 9 made it, one guy even got all of them right.

My one recommendation would be to really learn your theory. I did my test here, and that was by far the worst. I thought it would be fine, I’d read the book loads of times and went to all the theory lessons, but it's very specific. If you get a maximum of 3 or 4 questions wrong, out of about 40, you fail. Some of the are really tricky (equations for braking and stopping distances, millimetre density of winter and summer tyres, trailers, motorbikes, automatic cars, etc) and the multiple choice questions are also sneaky, the answers can be A, B or C, and any combination therein (ie, A & C, A & B & C, just C etc.).

I failed my theory the first time I took it (by one point grrrr). About 50% of the people doing it with me failed (which did not make me feel any better - though it should have), for those who’d made the appointment to do the practical directly afterwards, it was a nightmare. My advice would be get the theory done as soon as you can, then concentrate on the rest.

By the way, I went to

Fahrschule Schlappner

81543 München, Pilgersheimerestr. 54 tel 652246

81669 München, Franziskanerstr. 16 tel 482455

at the recommendation of several english-speaking colleagues, and can definitely recommend it.