Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Applying to German University with American Bachelors (B.A.)degree and GED.

12 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

Here is my specific situation. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Humanities (Liberal Studies) and a GED.

I took all my lower division courses, 70 units at a community college and transferred to my University that I graduated from.

I did not get an Associates degree, though I am only a class or two away from being eligible to receive it.

I understand that Germany does NOT recognize the American GED as being equivalent to a high school diploma.

I want to apply to Grad School in Germany. I have read and been told contradicting things about how having a Bachelors degree trumps high school, even from my local DAAD advisor who said they (the German Uni) would want to see my GED and all my transcripts to decide?

So, would just finishing my Associates in Humanites help me before I start applying?

Also, would attending a Studienkollegen be a good option for my situation?

9 hours ago, dave415. said:

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Humanities (Liberal Studies) and a GED.

I don't think Germany is a very good choice for someone with your qualifications (but that is a separate topic).

First for the easy part:

I want to apply to Grad School in Germany. I have read and been told contradicting things about how having a Bachelors degree trumps high school, even from my local DAAD advisor who said they (the German Uni) would want to see my GED and all my transcripts to decide?

I agree with your advisor. Most schools will want to see everything. How much weight they give to each degree/diploma is a separate issue. 

So, would just finishing my Associates in Humanites help me before I start applying?

No, an AA will not make any difference. 

Also, would attending a Studienkollegen be a good option for my situation?

No, the Studienkolleg only makes sense for those applying for a bachelor's degree. Furthermore,  there are many more applicants than spaces and most schools won't even consider applications from foreigners who are eligible for direct entry. 

3 hours ago, vronchen said:

For uni-assist it looks like a Bachelor degree is all you need (see here: https://www.uni-assist.de/zulassungsvoraussetzungen/index.php?id=77&ebene=3). 

It is actually rather more complicated. 

uni-assist is only responsible for determining whether applicants have a formal Masterzugangsberechtigung (MZB) i.e. whether or not the applicant meets the formal requirements for admission to a Master's degree programme in Germany as set by the KMK. 

Universities may at their discretion admit applicants without a formal MZB or decide that an applicant with an MZB doesn't meet their own internal criteria (usually the Department or Faculty will make decisions based on previous academic achievements).

I would suggest applying through uni-assist ASAP and then contacting the schools directly. 

Thanks again Engelchen, your insight is very appreciated.

Additional yet related question.

How are classes(units) I took after I received my B.A. considered?(Taken at the University I received my degree).

My home Uni just adds them to my unit and GPA total, but how would the German authorities react?

1 hour ago, dave415. said:

My home Uni just adds them to my unit and GPA total, but how would the German authorities react?

Probably confused.

Why are you now taking additional courses for credit? 

My Uni allows up to two Grad level courses to be taken without being admitted to a  program.

so.. do you have an associate's or a bachelor's? If you have a bachelor's, then you're eligible for a master's in Germany. An associate's is not enough. And with a GED you won't be able to get into a Bachelor's here :I Good luck :)

I have my B.A. and now also my A.A.(not that Germany cares) so now just sorting through which programs I can apply to.

I would highly recommend contacting the Fachbereich directly regarding programmes that interest you to determine whether or not your application will be considered. Furthermore, I'd also recommend applying also in NRW.