I am in big, big trouble

292 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Pale Fire said:

Of course the bank will get their money on way or another, but they are not helping me do so. My German is good enough to understand they are unwilling to give me an overdraft.

Well, they kinda already did. As long as the account isn't frozen, you can still make deposits into it. They'll just keep tacking on overdraft fees in the form of interest.

We all understand that you made a mistake and you're sorry, but continually being so contrite about it is not ingratiating nor does it make your guilt any more sincere. Man up, stop apologizing for it, and own the mistake.

Please go back to the bank.

Just now, SA_Drone said:

Well, they kinda already did. As long as the account isn't frozen, you can still make deposits into it. They'll just keep tacking on overdraft fees in the form of interest.

Yes, but then I have no money and all my costs will bounce - as a freelancer just my phone being disconnected is disastrous.

Don`t you have a Credit Card ? If you have a TSB banking debit card from the UK you should easily be able to order a credit card. 

Well I don't understand what you mean by the bank won't help. 

They have lent you 2000. Are they demanding that you pay it back yesterday. Good luck to them with that.

Are they refusing to give you any more, so you have a cashflow problem until your next payment comes in? In that case you're looking for enough cash to survive on until next payment.

Is your rent & health insurance paid?

In no scenario do you need 2000. You might need 200 to survive until you get your 2500. Then you can give 500 to the bank, and live on 2000. Although frankly I earn a lot more than 2500 and normally live on less than 2000.

PM Guest and explain exactly what you got up to. He will understand and be amused. With luck he might even learn a new perversion (frankly unlikely). And then he can vouch for what really happened.

23 minutes ago, Pale Fire said:

Yes, but then I have no money and all my costs will bounce - as a freelancer just my phone being disconnected is disastrous.

But you are earning 2500 Euros/month. Under normal circumstances the bank won't take that away from you, only the interest you owe them, and your bills including telephone will still be paid. 

I think he is worried that the bank will close his account or freeze his account and all the payments will bounce (telephone, electricity, rent etc). This can cause serious issues with his freelance business if his phone is disconnected. 

I am sorry that I want to smack myself on the head with a large fish from a Monty Python sketch (nothing to do with last weekend) but really we seem to be going round in circles here. I have been freelancing for three months, my credit history is in the UK, I am now resident in Germany - thus I am in limbo with the UK/German banks. I have tried at the bank - to make it seem like the bank lent me 2000€ is avoiding the problem. My bank is close to 2000 in the red, my bills will bounce. I don't understand what can't be understood here?

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I think he is worried that the bank will close his account or freeze his account and all the payments will bounce (telephone, electricity, rent etc). This can cause serious issues with his freelance business if his phone is disconnected. 

Yes, RF, thank you.

Hence, you need to go and talk to them!

In fact, I believe they are open at 9am on Tuesdays, so it's time to get your big boy boots on and go have a chat!

Get a German speaking friend call and make an appointment to speak to a manager (not just someone at the front desk).

1 hour ago, Pale Fire said:

The bank is not interested because I do not have a normal German history. I am not sure what is so difficult to understand about this. I fully realise that people are being wary because they do not know me but you seem (to me) to be picking holes in my story where there are none. Perhaps you have never been in a situation with a bank when you have no collateral? Because I fail to understand why you think banks just give people 2000€ overdrafts willy-nilly. The bank is not willing

But the bank has already given you an overdraft...  Now surely it seems like they need to figure out the best way to get it back--how could they not be interested in that?  If I were the bank, I'd be thrilled if you weren't threatening to try to stick me with part of the loss because of lax security procedures (daily withdrawal limits, etc.).

Obviously, you shouldn't expect to use that account while the balance is negative, but it sounds like you have second account to live off of while you pay back the German bank?

14 hours ago, Pale Fire said:

I used the 'Switch' part of my bank card. I do not know how it was authorised. I was very drunk, something which is not normal for me. Hence the title of the thread. I tried to get a loan from the bank, they are not interested because I am not German.

Thats not true. I got 15k loan for a wedding and i'm not german. 

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Get a German speaking friend call and make an appointment to speak to a manager (not just someone at the front desk).

I talked to a higher level person at my local Sparkasse, I'm assuming their decision is final, just like the UK?

Oh my God. Please stop - so someone gets a 15K loan and I should be able to get 2K. What world do you live in? A better one than me evidently. I am sure you had to show something to the German bank - perhaps like one of the reasons I have written many times in this thread why they won't help me. I am happy you got a loan of 15K, what exactly is your point? Again, I apologise for my tone but I think I have been fairly clear and succinct here.

I worked for a bank in the UK some years ago. They will get their money back but with added fees, perhaps a fine, they will still make money. They don't just open the overdraft door when someone messes up. Evidently I am with the wrong bank. Again, sorry but I am sat here frazzled.

I'm sorry, genuinely, my tone is off but I haven't slept. My sincere apologies.

7 minutes ago, Pale Fire said:

I talked to a higher level person at my local Sparkasse, I'm assuming their decision is final, just like the UK?

Did they threaten to close or freeze the account ? What threats were made ? I know I am not very helpful here but if there was a problem with communication make another appointment and bring someone who speaks German. Nothing is ever final.

7 minutes ago, Pale Fire said:

Oh, I had the impression that you had only spoken to the counter clerk.

Do you want to give some details of what this person said?

And on what basis they are not willing to let you continue your normal bank business and pay back €500/month?

2 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Do you want to give some details of what this person said?

And critically, did you speak with them in English or German? You've already said that your German isn't good but you were at least able to get the jist of what they were saying. If you were speaking German with them, and if your German is really not up to snuff, then maybe they were also misunderstanding the issue.

Find someone to go with you who can speak German at them, or insist on speaking English with a manager. As said multiple times by several people, the clerk behind the counter may be unwilling to do it, but dollars to dimes (pun intended) there is someone at a management level at your bank branch who will.