Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Orlando Massacre

270 posts in this topic

Mass shootings in the US have just gone from bad to worse:

50 people killed in Orlando Nightclub

What difference does it make to those who are affected if it was a "terror attack" or another mass shooting? For these people there is just the horror but I'm afraid that we'll see many politicians trying to get political mileage out of this.

When I hear such news, I truly despair for mankind. Such a barbaric, cowardly act.

5 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

For these people there is just the horror but I'm afraid that we'll see many politicians trying to get political mileage out of this.

I'm afraid you are the first Person to actually talk about mileage with regard to this incident.

13 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

I'm afraid you are the first Person to actually talk about mileage with regard to this incident.

I'm simply stating the obvious - with the Daily Mail screaming about an "Islamic extremist" already. Sorry that you don't like the prospect of the very ugly fallout that is to follow this massacre.

2 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

I'm simply stating the obvious - with the Daily Mail screaming about an "Islamic extremist" already. Sorry that you don't like the prospect of the very ugly fallout that is to follow this massacre.

... and if you look at the Daily Mail website right now the second most important piece of news of the day:

"Kendall shows off her shorter hairdo with Kanye"

It's the most prominent article after the one about the shooting. One more reason to despair about the human race.

I think it's sadly fair to talk about "mileage". Trumps is going to use this as one more reason to vilify muslims and it'll take no time for someone in the NRA to announce that this tragedy wouldn't have happened if everyone in the nightclub had been carrying guns.

24 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

Well, I'll reserve my judgement till the investigation is over, if that's any consolation to you.

5 minutes ago, hooperski said:

The race, religion, politics and name of the shooter are irrelevant. He shouldn't have had easy access to firearms. U S law made this possible.

A government spokesman said "We don't know why these shootings keep happening, we've tried literally nothing to stop it".

What a silly post. Don't steer the dicussion into the right to carry firearms question. Of course race and religion matter, because it can constitute a motive behind the crime.

And btw, he had a llicence for fire arms as he worked as a security officer.

Thus proving the fact that unbalanced people can easily get their hands on deadly weapons.

1 minute ago, hooperski said:

Thus proving the fact that unbalanced people can easily get their hands on deadly weapons.

He didnt show any signs of being unbalanced. As a security officer one is vetted several times in regard to one's psych health.

Besides, the terrorists in France didn't have any easy access to weapons, nevertheless they managed to kill more people than this chap.

It doesn't matter whose imaginary friend in the sky is leading the pack. LGBT people are under attack from religious fundamentalists of all stripes. Lest we forget. I was at that bar that night. I left a few minutes earlier. 

4 minutes ago, klubbnika said:

He didnt show any signs of being unbalanced.

You mean apart from being an Islamic radicalist? That's about as "unbalanced" as unbalanced gets...

1 minute ago, Perfect Poise said:

You mean apart from being an Islamic radicalist? That's about as "unbalanced" as unbalanced gets...

True, but it is not clear at the moment whether he was a radicalist or not.

There is so much speculation on this. He may be a Muslim radical, he may also hate LGBT , he may just be  mentally disturbed, or reacting to a personal crisis.

We do not know. Yes,  if someone wants guns, they will get them, as we have seen in many countries.  Yes, US makes it easier to access firearms.

Thoughts and prayers to those  involved.

2 minutes ago, klubbnika said:

It is not clear at the moment whether he was a radicalist or not.

Fifty dead and rising seems pretty fuckin' radical to me.

9 minutes ago, klubbnika said:

Besides, the terrorists in France didn't have any easy access to weapons, nevertheless they managed to kill more people than this chap.

No easy access for individuals - that keeps down "lone wolf" shootings and those by troubled teenagers. For organized groups the access is all too easy. The Balkans is still awash with weapons and that's only one source of weapons.