Insurance agent vs Insurance broker - finding the right insurance advisor in Germany

4 posts in this topic

Often I have noticed over the many years as contributor on Toytown that people are utterly confused about the different legal status of insurance advisors they encounter in Germany - and more even so what this difference means for them or rather how different types of insurance advisors will lead to very different results of advice given/received.

If you like to read more than watch a video, you'll find a lot of info here on our website: How to find the right insurance advisor in Germany for your needs

For those who like rather to have the info brought to them in a nice little video, you'll find here our newest addition to our self-produced informative videos for Expats in Germany (more to follow soon ;))

Hope you'll find the info helpful?

If you need insurance advice, several independent insurance brokers are advertising on Toytown (thus you can check the references/their track records here on Toytown) or have been given for a long time free advice here on Toytown, too. Take your pick...

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Funny I came across this just as I was emailing a friend regarding retirement planning looking for your link to include. Anyways this is what I told him. "You are a minnow swimming in a world of sharks, 90% of advisors see you as nothing other than a paycheque, in other words maximizing their commissions not your returns is what is most important to them."

6 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Funny I came across this just as I was emailing a friend regarding retirement planning looking for your link to include. Anyways this is what I told him. "You are a minnow swimming in a world of sharks, 90% of advisors see you as nothing other than a paycheque, in other words maximizing their commissions not your returns is what is most important to them."

Sadly enough, this is very true. Now, I am not claiming sainthood here for myself or us (all the more so since you have to be dead to be declared as a Saint, not really something to aim for ) - but as one can see from all my comments here on Toytown since 2006, I have always believe that as an insurance broker and financial advisor it is the better strategy to have sound business ethics and work for the interests of the clients only.

So, in the end it is a selfish strategy from our side: we make much more money over time when our clients are satisfied, like and appreciate our services and come back again and again plus bringing us new clients by referal.

But it creates a win-win-situation as described in the video. And seems to make us still after so many years part of a small minority in the German market - which is sad for all those who don't come to us. And the things I sometimes see when clients come to us after so many years been cleaned out and fleezed by others...makes me wish we had some real tough regulation authority in Germany (which we haven't)

Cheerio

PS: the line about crossing a shark-infested water dressed as a meatloaf is something I have out of Garfield. Only in the original it was swimming thru a Piranha invested river dressed as a meatloaf....same thing :lol:

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

3 minutes ago, Starshollow said:

Now, I am not claiming sainthood here for myself or us (all the more so since you have to be dead to be declared as a Saint, not really something to aim for )

This reminds me of years ago, when Sean Connery was asked how he felt about being voted the sexiest man alive.

He said it was better than being voted the sexiest man dead.