Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are German Nationals Require Visa for USA for Less than 3 month work

8 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Are German nationals required to get a visa to do some work (Business) in USA for less than THREE months ? 

Thanks

German nationals who qualify for the visa waiver program can travel to the US for 90 days or less for business or pleasure without a visa. However, the definition of "business" is on the State Dept web site:

• consult with business associates
  • attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
  • attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
  • negotiate a contract

If you want to work for 90 days or less you'll need a temporary Worker Visa (types H, L, O, P, Q visas and more). The U.S. employer must file a petition with USCIS. After petition approval, you then file a visa application at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Ask the Krauts in Ami-land forum? Or better yet, visit the consulate page?

Here, I'm feeling helpful today. Doesn't look like it's as easy as "I'm from here want to go there", visa applicants in the US need a pretty specific reason.

https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-directory/

But yeah. To work legally in the US you need a social security number or some form of green card type thingy. And I do not think you get 90 days free like you do in Europe, I think it's more like 60 or even 30.  I know a Venezuelan who wasn't even admitted one step into the country much less visit her sister in California for a couple of weeks as intended, because her passport was from the wrong side of the Rio Grande and she couldn't prove she had access to pameventy-tweventy thousands of her own dollars and would thus not wind up trying to apply for welfare and start popping out anchor babies while on vacation.

17 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Ask the Krauts in Ami-land forum? Or better yet, visit the consulate page?

Here, I'm feeling helpful today. Doesn't look like it's as easy as "I'm from here want to go there", visa applicants in the US need a pretty specific reason.

https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-directory/

But yeah. To work legally in the US you need a social security number or some form of green card type thingy. And I do not think you get 90 days free like you do in Europe, I think it's more like 60 or even 30.  I know a Venezuelan who wasn't even admitted one step into the country much less visit her sister in California for a couple of weeks as intended, because her passport was from the wrong side of the Rio Grande and she couldn't prove she had access to pameventy-tweventy thousands of her own dollars and would thus not wind up trying to apply for welfare and start popping out anchor babies while on vacation.

Venezuela is not in the visa waiver program for what should be obvious reasons. :)

43 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

And I do not think you get 90 days free like you do in Europe, I think it's more like 60 or even 30.  I know a Venezuelan who wasn't even admitted one step into the country much less visit her sister in California for a couple of weeks as intended, because her passport was from the wrong side of the Rio Grande and she couldn't prove she had access to pameventy-tweventy thousands of her own dollars and would thus not wind up trying to apply for welfare and start popping out anchor babies while on vacation.

It's normally 3 months if you are from a visa waiver country but immigration is allowed to make a judgement call anyway and let you in for less time or not at all if they please.  Depends on if they think you will overstay or if you don't have money to support yourself for your trip, that you plan to work illegally or do something criminal in order to get money.

The Venezuelan sister probably was denied a visit visa because she could not sufficiently prove that she would like nothing more than to return to Venezuela after her 2 week visit.  This is pretty common in all western countries.  If they have an idea that somebody is not eager to return home, it's better not to let them visit in the first place.

As for welfare and anchor babies, it's not even like visitors or even less people who are out of status are eligible for welfare and as for the anchor baby, it doesn't give you any rights to stay on.  You are basically free to piss off to home country and take the anchor baby with you.

They might have been more worried that she'd try to claim asylum because that costs them.  Believe it or not, asylum is the poor man's way to immigrate.  I don't know about the US but it is very common in Canada for people from S-America to claim asylum.  Even Mexicans claim asylum.  Most of them are rejected though but it doesn't stop them from trying.  There are even immigration agents going around in these countries coaching people on how to do this.

7 hours ago, LeonG said:

It's normally 3 months if you are from a visa waiver country but immigration is allowed to make a judgement call anyway and let you in for less time or not at all if they please.  

I've also seen that happen with people who simply decided to cop an attitude with the immigration officer, a universally stupid option. The result was something along the lines of "Ma'am, you can either go back voluntarily and have another opportunity to come back once you undergo attitude correction therapy, or I can deport your fat ass and make it so it'll be a cold day in hell before you come back." The female in question gathered her attitude -and- her fat ass and took door number one back to Canada. She's been back in the US since, with a noticeably changed demeanor.

I've always wondered what could possibly be so hard about saying good morning/afternoon/evening, handing over your passport, waiting a few seconds, answering any questions with a "Sir" or "Ma'am" at the end and moving on. 

21 hours ago, Metall said:

I like how our macho Latin Man From Puerto Rico suddenly mutates into a God fearin', wholesome, All-American, authority compliant, South America bashing, cleancut US citizen when it suits him! :D

Jealous? Now it's all clear. Sorry, there can only be one. LMAO!