what procedures are covered by public health insurance?

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Smorodina said:

Yes, I also have been told to pay the difference (between amalgama which covered and composite which is not). The price named is 50 euro per tooth. I have no idea if price is good or not.

I just have read, that state insurance should cover composite filing on front area teeth (cause amalgama is silver color). That is why I was not charged before for composite - it was on front teeth. However, new doctor wants me to pay even for front area. May be cause he wants money for good job; he said previous filling were put bad. And article also says that for extra layers you can be charged even when works are done in front teeth.

If anyone else paid recently for composite fillings, share how much. And did you get free of charge for front ones?

Price sounds about right. Your dentist can submit the costs of comparable composites to your Kasse and see how much they will  pay. Then you can decide which one you can afford.

5 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Implantat is not covered at all, you need Zahnzusatzversicherung for that.

Sorry, but public health insurance does pay a fixed amount (= Festzuschuß) towards an implant and towards the ceramic tooth planted on that implant (source):

1. implant: between 319€ and 415€ (you get those 415€ if you can prove you attended the dentist regularly, since this means that you did everything possible to "save" that tooth, and therefore it's not your fault that you now need to replace it)
  2. ceramic tooth: between 135€ and 174€ (same reasoning as above, if you were a regular visitor at your dentist, it's 174€)

People with low incomes get double the Festzuschuß, for the income limits please see the article linked above.

I think that many people are not familiar with the Bonus Heft which you take to the dentist and get filled out so that you can get discounts. I take mine every visit.

Hi All,  new member have been living in Germany 16 years. I wasn't even aware  about state medical insurance as I was told being married to a German who was private this meant I had to pay, well I was not best pleased due to the cost from German health  ins companies, but found a company in UK who do med ins for international/ Europe half the price of German companies. plus got good dental care package. 

58 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think that many people are not familiar with the Bonus Heft which you take to the dentist and get filled out so that you can get discounts. I take mine every visit.

It might also be worth mentioning that you can get one of these simply by asking your dentist.

As for Uk international medical insurance, I would be curious what John g or Stars have to say.

BTW - got my teeth professionally cleaned last Tuesday - all covered by my insurance company!

13 minutes ago, shazie said:

Hi All,  new member have been living in Germany 16 years. I wasn't even aware  about state medical insurance as I was told being married to a German who was private this meant I had to pay, well I was not best pleased due to the cost from German health  ins companies, but found a company in UK who do med ins for international/ Europe half the price of German companies. plus got good dental care package. 

How much have you used this insurance and did it pay everything?

48 minutes ago, shazie said:

Just curious, shazie...

16 years in Germany and married to a German with private insurance...so were you uninsured for x years till you recently " saw the light " and got set up with a UK insurance? Or were you privately insured and then got out of the German provider´s contract? (tough to do...did this a few years ago to help a client and it took months of to-ing and fro-ing with BaFin...too stressful to repeat ).

If anyone is looking at taking a UK private health insurance for coverage in Germany, I can advise you very strongly AGAINST AXA PPP. I had this private insurance, after my German employer's insurance consultant recommended that I take it on my arrival in Germany. I can only say that calling AXA PPP a "nightmare" would be a huge understatement. You have to pay everything upfront to doctors, hospitals...and then you send everything into AXA, and they ignore it all, and months later still will not pay it and say they never received anything, even though all documents were also uploaded to their own intranet for members. Their absolute incompetence led to hospitals suing me - I had a serious accident - I sent the bills to AXA to ask them to pay them directly (because it was over 6000€)...and they never paid it...but I only found out they didn't pay when a bailiff came banging on my door demanding the money - the hospital took it to court, got a judgement and set the bailiffs on me. I had to pay an additional 1500€ in court costs - all because AXA PPP did not pay. This is just one example of how their complete incompetence and negligence led to huge costs and stress for me. They are to be avoided at all costs. They then cancelled my insurance with no notice and backdated the cancellation by 3 months, even though they still took the monthly premium for the whole period. This is a criminally negligent company. DO NOT USE THEM. 

On 8/3/2016, 4:28:02, fraufruit said:

That's probably because you took the free/cheap composite instead of the good stuff and it failed.

Just goes to show, you get what you don't pay for.

Actually the doctor has not asked me what do I want at all. He said: let's put fillings here. I asked: is it covered by my insurance? He answered: yes. I said: great. I also asked about which types of filling and was satisfied by answers. 

So he did not even try to get money. And may be he thought it is a good job what he did. 

On 8/3/2016, 6:04:12, RedMidge said:

Price sounds about right. Your dentist can submit the costs of comparable composites to your Kasse and see how much they will  pay. Then you can decide which one you can afford.

That (50e per 1 composite filling) was a price already after what my insurance will pay. So i wonder if this is ok price. Have no idea what people pay. On previous page someone said, he paid 30e per filling. Though may be it depends not only on material but how professional doctor feels or how much he wanna earn? So then the way is to rely on reviews on people and your intuition :)

On 8/3/2016, 7:53:23, fraufruit said:

Yep, never heard about that. What is it? 

Thanks people for sharing your experiences!

Every bill I get refers to Gebührenordnung für Zahnarzte which regulates prices of dental services. I have, however, no idea what is fixed and regulated and what is not.