Jaywalking in Germany - Dangers and possible fines

176 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Then name which country is better. You named Italy. Is it a joke or some British sarcasm I don't get?

If, of course, by Italy you didn't mean "rural Südtirol West of Bolzano", then indeed, but rural anything in Germany is just as good.

Even for a Brit I'm a pretty sarcastic person normally, but not this time. I really mean Italy. I drive a good 3000km a year in Italy, mostly Rome and the surroundings but all over really. It's chaotic for sure but you quickly get used to it and I'm comfortable with it and often find it fun. Driving in Germany for me is just no fun at all. I just find it too aggressive. Maybe it's because I am a Brit. I have preferred pretty much every country I've ever driven in. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, USA all over Europe. Only parts of Asia would come below Germany for me. But hey, that's my subjective opinion.

But what I really objected to was the following the rules bit. I don't agree with that at all. It's just as bad here as anywhere...give or take. I also think Brits probably follow the rules a bit better but there are plenty enough dick head drivers there too.

You're the first person who finds Italy good o_O

Sure, you can get used to it, especially if you never drive by night because I can't imagine get used to constant high beam drivers in local roads and high beam blinking on the autobahn. In Germany they only do it on BMWs when you occupy left lane, but I never occupy left lane. 

Well, I must admit that there is one thing which function perfectly in Italy: Reißverschlussverfahren

7 hours ago, jeba said:

You can do that even when crossing while the light is green. As we Germans learned in Kindergarten already: "schau erst links, dann rechts, dann geradeaus - so kommst du sicher gut nach Haus" (check to the left first, then to the right and straight - that way you'll geht home safely). One if the childhood mantras I'll never forget.

Have you ever stood and observed the law abiding citizens, including children, while they are waiting to cross at traffic lights?  They stare at the red man and as soon as it changes to green, THEY CROSS!  They don't give a damn because it is their right to cross, no matter if some idiot is speeding or the brakes failed or was on the phone or just wasn't paying attention. Have you been in a school area where the kids walk up to a zebra crossing and cut the corner and walk straight on it without looking if anyone's coming because they have been taught that that's where it is safe to cross?

I was nearly run over on a pedestrian crossing yesterday, as a driver ran full pelt through the red light.  

I'm not sure the fact that was I was in the right would have been much consolation if he'd hit me.

@rodisi : It become more obvious during winter, when sometimes you see a car skidding because of the road conditions but pedestrians still walk in front of the car because they've got green.

27 minutes ago, RelativeDimensions said:

I'm not sure the fact that was I was in the right would have been much consolation if he'd hit me.

see, you haven't become German enough. even dead, a local would have sued the hell of the guilty driver 'till he would have sold all of his organs in order to pay for the compensations.

as seen in earlier post, rules are rules. you pass on green, you halt at red. no need to use that big ball between the ears.

I've been paying more attention to these issues since this thread started.  At least in Berlin, I see drivers running red lights pretty much every day.  This morning, I saw a woman and her young daughter wait patiently for the light and then step into the street without even glancing to the left.  Even a bicycle would have been enough to put the little girl into the hospital.  I can't believe people think this is OK, because "other people are supposed to follow the rules."

When I was growing up the advice was keep looking left and right all the time whilst crossing the road. Thanks to the Green Cross Code Man (who later went on to play Darth Vader) I've never been knocked down.

3 hours ago, RelativeDimensions said:

I was nearly run over on a pedestrian crossing yesterday, as a driver ran full pelt through the red light.  

Depends. If you survive that driver will pay you Rente for the rest of your life. If you don't survive, this driver will be charged with Fahrlässige Tötung, this is a fine or jail time up to 5 years.

Now, if next time you memorize his* number plates and pass them to authorities, this driver will be charged with Gefährdung des Straßenverkehr (5 years in jail or a fine) and maybe be ordered MPU. The fact that you Berliners do not give a shit about these dangerous drivers and complain on TT is your own fault. One visit to police station will save many more lives than one hundred looks to the right and to the left.

*Statistically most such drivers are men.

29 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

The fact that you Berliners do not give a shit about these dangerous drivers and complain on TT is your own fault. One visit to police station will save many more lives than one hundred looks to the right and to the left.

No no no! The Berliners are complaining about the abject stupidity of thinking that jaywalking is a dreadful crime, while failing to look/think, and just blindly following the green man is a jolly good idea, and safe as houses, because of the superiority of German driving habits.

While reporting bad drivers is in principle a good idea, I don't see how you can criticise 100 looks left/right/North/South, or even hubwards.

Remember most people are far more interested in saving their own life than those of strangers they'll never meet.

Depends. If you survive that driver will pay you Rente for the rest of your life. If you don't survive, this driver will be charged with Fahrlässige Tötung, this is a fine or jail time up to 5 years.

Neither of which options are better than not being run over in the first place.

I don't jaywalk in Germany because I'm a law-abiding type.  I still look both ways before crossing because I'm quite keen on the whole breathing and walking thing, and would quite like to continue doing both. 

Now, if next time you memorize his* number plates and pass them to authorities, this driver will be charged with Gefährdung des Straßenverkehr (5 years in jail or a fine) and maybe be ordered MPU.

so I am allowed to memorise one's number plates, give them to the authorities, and/or (who knows) make up a story about aggressive driving and they would believe you, but if I have a dashcam and I film someone who almost crashed into me it's Verstoß gegen Persönlichkeitsrechte und Datenschutzrecht und Recht auf eigens Bild and so on.

bloody hypocrites!

56 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Remember most people are far more interested in saving their own life than those of strangers they'll never meet.

If they are interested in saving own life they would report every single driver, so they will be quickly removed from road traffic. Saving the life of a stranger means that a stranger will save your life. But they aren't interested in that, that's why Berlin is so unsafe.

11 minutes ago, mannes said:

make up a story about aggressive driving

That is a difference between developing countries (total distrust to a citizen, you can't prove anything without body camera 24h) and developed countries (the state trust citizens, no Orwell style total surveillance necessary).

11 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

That is a difference between developing countries (total distrust to a citizen, you can't prove anything without body camera 24h) and developed countries (the state trust citizens, no Orwell style total surveillance necessary).

and Great Britain is then...?

and VW were honest too!!

10 minutes ago, mannes said:

and Great Britain is then...?

and VW were honest too!!

VW is not a citizen, it is a company (yours truly, Captain Obvious). I didn't tell that everyone is honest in Germany, I told you that you do not need 24h body camera to prove your point. There is criminal responsibility for lying and if you do it more then once you will be caught. Also, dangerous driver usually doesn't do it once, they do it multiple times and they are reported also multiple times. The probability that these multiple reports are lies is close to zero, that's why this person will be convicted.

In the UK you also don't need a video to report crime. And you don't need one for conviction. The only country in the world which relies on dashcams as a proof is Russia. Because they don't have established justice system, their courts are highly incompetent, so dashcam is the only hope for a driver to get justice served.

I like when people say bold statements startiing with "The only place in the world where ...". Very pretencious to think that they know how things are in the whole planet.