Jaywalking in Germany - Dangers and possible fines

176 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I bet you're one of those idiots who darts across the road as soon as the pedestrian light is green with your head buried in your phone answering important Emails.

Yes, I am. In Germany I can do this. Having attended a full driving school here I know exactly how the drivers are taught to deal with pedestrians. In particular you are taught to show concern for children, elderly and disabled who in Germany are not treated as "idiots". When I cross the road like "an idiot" I basically have the same level of security as an elderly man and in Germany this level is high and that's why satisfactory for me.

Cheers.

This brings back a memory of crossing a clear road while the man was still on red.  Hissed whispers of child murderers accompanied us.  I personally thought it was a bit daft but noted it down as a German way and noted not to do it again.  Imagine my amusement when the indignant family (mum, dad, toddler & babe in arms) sat at the adjacent table to us in the restaurant and both parents lit up cigarettes before even opening the menu.

Different cultures and all that.

As a born and bred New Yorker, I was taught to look at the cars when crossing the street, not the light. In a city of 10 million people, plus 5 million tourists/commuters, you better believe we're crossing when there are no cars coming.  If not, the people behind you will certainly help you along :P  Such a hard habit to break in the "village" of Berlin :wacko:

12 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Yes, I am. In Germany I can do this. Having attended a full driving school here I know exactly how the drivers are taught to deal with pedestrians. In particular you are taught to show concern for children, elderly and disabled who in Germany are not treated as "idiots". When I cross the road like "an idiot" I basically have the same level of security as an elderly man and in Germany this level is high and that's why satisfactory for me.

Cheers.

Can't do that in Kreuzberg, Berlin :blink:

@yourkeau That's like saying I can drive without seat belts because I'm such a good driver I'll never have an accident.

You'll feel pretty stupid when you're killed crossing the street without looking and an Auslander driver who hasn't been to German driving school mows you down. Probably won't happen to me because I use the light as guidance, not as a guaranteed security shield:

Any time anybody tells me I'm a bad example to children when crossing at a red light with no other traffic anywhere near, I tell them I am teaching their children to think for themselves, and not act like sheeple... that's how all that trouble started, remember!

40 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

@yourkeau That's like saying I can drive without seat belts because I'm such a good driver I'll never have an accident.

You'll feel pretty stupid when you're killed crossing the street without looking and an Auslander driver who hasn't been to German driving school mows you down. Probably won't happen to me because I use the light as guidance, not as a guaranteed security shield:

Seat belts are mandatory by law. Jaywalking is forbidden by law.

I can't see how you are justifying breaking the law by following another law. Either you follow the law or you don't.

Many people want me to die on TT, for example bike helmet Nazis (bike helmets are not required by law). It won't happen, don't dream.

I'm saying risking your life, on the driving abilities of others is stupid.

Criticising others who act less stupidly than you is obnoxious.

5 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I'm saying risking your life, on the driving abilities of others is stupid.

Criticising others who act less stupidly than you is obnoxious.

Less stupidly is to look both ways on green. This is wise and I'm not criticizing it. However, people seem to use this as justification for jaywalking. Wrong. When you do one thing right it doesn't justify the other thing you do wrong.

You encourage others, including children, to jaywalk, and believe me not all of them will as as attentive as you. You are responsible for the deaths.

P.S. If you don't rely on ability of others to drive you will have to stay on sidewalk forever in Sicily or Creta, because there is constant trafic and no one is going to stop until you start crossing the road. Blatantly crossing without looking at the traffic is the only possible way to cross the road there.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I didn't understand what you excuse other than "shitty planning" is. I can offer you a game: 1 km walk, the same starting time, the same route. You jaywalk as you please, I will strictly follow the lights. What the time difference will be? I bet I will be either faster or this difference will be minimal. Do you by chance one of those impatient drivers who honk their horns if you dare to stand at green light for more than 0,5 second?

"Shitty planning" was one reason someone might have for it, yes, I also gave other reasons. As to your game, that depends on your route, time of day and general amount of traffic. I'm pretty sure I'd beat you even if there weren't any lights, though, so I'm happy to put my money on it.

And no, I'm not an impatient driver by any means. Actually, I think in over a decade I have used the horn once.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Cheers.

If I crossed the road like you, I would be dead several times over. You should count yourself lucky, and you should consider what a bad example you are setting to children by crossing the road so inattentively. The number of times I've had cars race over on red lights even once I was in the road (on a green man) is astounding and terrifying.

@plantwhisperer Damn you again, talking perfect sense to the outrageously idiotic.

I didn't think of what an appalling example yourkeau is setting children stupidly crossing on green without checking because he trusts other driver's abilities.

At silly o'clock in the morning when nobody else is around I don't bother waiting until the lights are in my favour.

32 minutes ago, plantwhisperer said:

If I crossed the road like you, I would be dead several times over.

Life expectancy in Germany contradicts you.

And here road fatalities per 100`000 vehicles (unfortunately, I don't have such a statistics for pedestrian deaths only):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_ratehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Germany: 6.8 deaths per 100`000 vehicles or 4.3 deaths per 100`000 people or 3540 deaths/year including drivers, car passengers, cyclists and pedestrians.

Now let's calculate my chances to die in, say, 30 years. That will be 106`200 fatalities or 0,1% of population. Do you really think that only 0.1% of population cross the road like me in Germany?

I say that bollox, it is safe to cross on green in Germany.

14 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

@plantwhisperer Damn you again, talking perfect sense to the outrageously idiotic.

I didn't think of what an appalling example yourkeau is setting children stupidly crossing on green without checking because he trusts other driver's abilities.

In my experience Kita children have traffic lessons and are taught to watch out for traffic when crossing at the traffic lights even when it's green. They go out in groups with their kindergarten teachers and some voluntary parents (or grandparents) and practice the correct way to cross the road, which also involves crossing at traffic lights. Don't cross on red, only cross on green but check whether it's safe to cross on green.  I took part on several of these exercises when my granddaughter was in Kindergarten. 

1 minute ago, bramble said:

In my experience Kita children have traffic lessons and are taught to watch out for traffic when crossing at the traffic lights even when it's green. They go out in groups with their kindergarten teachers and some voluntary parents (or grandparents) and practice the correct way to cross the road, which also involves crossing at traffic lights. Don't cross on red, only cross on green but check whether it's safe to cross on green.  I took part on several of these exercises when my granddaughter was in Kindergarten. 

And they are never taught to jaywalk "because there are no cars".

4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I don't understand jaywalkers...Why in the world would a man jaywalk?

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Wow...same planet, different worlds.  I honestly cannot understand the logic here at all...  I would never, ever, cross a street without looking because that's how "drivers are taught".  Seriously?

On the other hand, I regularly jaywalk when there are no cars, because you know, I look to see what is happening around me...

All I say is that I would not travel far from Germany if I were you, because if you make a regular practice of crossing without looking in say, Moscow or Italy, your life expectancy will probably be measured in days.

1 hour ago, naberlin said:

I would never, ever, cross a street without looking because that's how "drivers are taught".  Seriously?

I only wrote that it is safe to do so in Germany. But jaywalkers manipulated it as if I'm defending walking without looking. And now me, who always follows the rules and never crosses a road on red, is an asshole who deserves to die.

I applause to the masters of manipulative discussions here, you won.

1 hour ago, naberlin said:

All I say is that I would not travel far from Germany if I were you, because if you make a regular practice of crossing without looking in say, Moscow or Italy, your life expectancy will probably be measured in days.

Jajaja. I come back to this forum when I turn 90 and most who have written in this thread will long be in their graves :)

4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I only wrote that it is safe to do so in Germany. But jaywalkers manipulated it as if I'm defending walking without looking. And now me, who always follows the rules and never crosses a road on red, is an asshole who deserves to die.

I applause to the masters of manipulative discussions here, you won.

What the hell?  
First, I never said that you were "an asshole that deserved to die".  

Second, I'm only quoting your words, exactly...not sure what I've "manipulated"?  You were defending walking without looking... 

Third, I cannot understand how you can claim this practice is safe in Germany or anywhere else? 

You heap contempt on those who indulge in the relatively safe practice of crossing carefully on a red light while defending crossing on green without even checking for cars.

We don't hope you die, just stop posting annoying stupidity