Why is Alice im Wunderland?

22 posts in this topic

I understand that in becomes im or in der when referring to being in a location. Dative. But I thought that most country names with exception of feminine ones, or neuter names, don't take a definite article. e.g. Ich wohne  in Deutschland.  Land is neuter isn't it, so why im Wunderland and not in it? (innit ?!)

Thank you if you can relieve my agony!

(Just noticed I spelled Wunderland wrong in the title.)

Thanks, but I don't quite understand why das Wunderland would be a common noun? It was pretty unique! Is it just one of those grammatical things that you have to accept? Sorry if I'm being dense!

Wunderland is a mythical place not a country, here is another example:

schlaraffenland.jpg.fe26f7653369aee6c18d

Just noticed I spelled Wunderland wrong in the title.

Fixed it for you.

You also say

im Abendland

im Morgenland

im Traumland

im Zwergenland

im Feenland

im Regenbogenland

etc.

And then there's

Bags Banny....

Maffins...

.... add infinium...

Wunderland is not a country. if there really was a country in this world called Wunderland (what a place to be), dann kannst du in Wunderland wohnen.

10 hours ago, Erdmann said:

Wunderland is not a country. if there really was a country in this world called Wunderland (what a place to be), dann kannst du in Wunderland wohnen.

And to make it even more confusing, there are non -land countries that have gender associated with them, and you just have to memorize them. In der Schweiz, in der Türkei, in dem Irak, etc.

11 hours ago, Erdmann said:

Yes, and since it´s not a real country you could live im Wunderland, Schlaraffenland etc. (if you could).

3 minutes ago, Gwaptiva said:

And if it were a real country, you'd live in den Wunderlanden

Wunderland is a group of islands?

Just now, Erdmann said:

Wunderland is a group of islands?

No, but then neither is Nederland

Yeah, but theoretically that's why you'd be using the plural dativ. Why would you get the idea to do that for Wunderland?

51 minutes ago, Gwaptiva said:

No, but then neither is Nederland

In German it's plural, Die Niederlande, which is translation from French Pays Bas (Low Countries). Wunderland is singular just like Griechenland.

And in French it's plural because original Pays Bas also included most parts of Belgium and Luxembourg, as opposed to Pays Haute (High Countries) which is now part of France.

You know what bugs me in English re: country names?

When people use the singular to apply to the United States.

"The United States is..." or "The United States has...". Come on, it should be "The United States are..." and "The United States have..."

The House of Representatives Committee on Revision of the Laws ruled that the United States should be referred to as a single entity in 1902, so you've missed your chance to complain by about 114 years... ;)

The Netherlands and the United Arab Emirates are also regarded as singular entities.

I'm not  a native speaker but Wikipedia says, that United Nations is an intergovernmental organization to promote international co-operation. In German Vereinte Nationen sind plural.