Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MacGowan's Irish Pub in Frankfurt

26 posts in this topic

Help, I am a directionally challenged American!! I attempted to go to MacGowan's the other night following the directions from their website and was completely lost. Can someone familiar with the place post better directions from the U Bahn?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Rebecca

Well... on this forum they like the one by Konstablerwache. I much prefer the one in Bornheim, it is busier and has live music.

Don't know if these directions are better but I just looked at their website and I am trying to figure out where you could have gone wrong, so apols if these are a bit convuluted!

When you come out of the U Bahn, you will be already on Berger Strasse, so you just need to keep heading north. If you go past an Aldi and a Woolworths, then you have gone the wrong way so you need to turn round and go back in the opposite direction!

Eventually. you will get to a largish HL Markt on the right hand side, on a corner called Fünffinger Platz, so called because it is where five streets meet. At this point, cross the road and go straight ahead, making sure you are still on Berger Strasse.

MacGowans is a little further up on the left hand side. It is on the corner of Berger Strasse and another street and you can clearly see it is an Irish pub (painted green etc).

It is 5 minutes walking from the U Bahn, so if you are unsure where you are going, it would maybe take a little longer.

I hope you are able to find your way there now, cos you must be getting awful thirsty!

I must really be mentally challenged. I walked right by the HL Markt a few times, I went past the Fünfigger Str, but I never saw MacGowan's... grrr!!

Maybe I'll try again next weekend... if I'm not "tot" from lack of alcohol/ stimulation by then.

Thanks!

Rebecca

P.S. Where is the Konstablerwache? Maybe that one won't be so hard for me to find. hehe :$

Just cross the road from HL and carry on up Bergerstr. it is on the left hand side.

As for the one in Kostablerwache it is right opposite the Meldestelle when you go there to register you won't miss it.

How long are you staying in Frankfurt?

I missed it last time I tried to find it - I veered right along Löwen gasse!! I did find it eventually half an hour later - I would have find it sooner - if I had asked someone for directions!!

I go to the Meldestalle in Friedberg as I live in Bad Nauheim. Talk about a party town... Bad Nauheim is a magnet for people over the age of 70. I definitely need to find a good place to hang out in the city because the Omas and Opas are driving me a little insane. The whole city shuts down at 8 pm!

I hope to stay here permanently. (Germany that is, NOT Bad Nauheim!!) I have my appt with the Auslanderbehörde tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

We have our works Xmas do's either in Bad Nauheim or Friedberg - yes can imagine it is a bit quiet.

MacGowans would be your place to meet ex pats but there are loads of other nice places in Frankfurt as well what sort of thing do you like?

I love music, live or otherwise. Drinking is always a good idea too :D Films, art, shopping, all good.

Well, welcome to Frankfurt.

I've been here for 4 months now but haven't managed to meet up with too many people (other than the other Brits/Aussies I work with which is a handy social safety net)

DO people actually head out to these places, or is it just somewhere that locals tell new people to go??

Well Jonnyboy I must confess I used to frequent these places more regularly in my first year in Frankfurt. But I do go there now again if I can convince any of my German mates to pay the high prices!!!

I think my case is because most of my friends here are German if I knew more ex pats I would probably go there more often.

Johnny

I just read about it here and it sounded good. The only place I know to go here in Frankfurt is Sachsenhausen, but that's full of soldiers for Team Bush. I see them every day as it is since my brother is one of them, so I don't really want to have drinks with them on Fri night as well!!

It sounds like there are quite a few of us in Frankfurt who don't know that many people. I have been here nearly 3 years, but now lots of my friends have left and it is back to the drawing board

How about a meet up in one of the MacGowan's some night

Honey Bunny

How about a meet up in one of the MacGowan's some night

Great Idea!! Why don't we plan something for next week?

Anyone want to meet up next week in an Irish Pub? MacGowan's in Bornheim is http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/m...wans_irish_pub/, but http://www.macghiollade.com/ is also on Bergerstr. and was pretty full last night. I don't know yet what Mac Ghiolla Dé means, maybe someone can fill me in?

Oh and the MacGowan's on Zeil's homepage is http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/m...pub/mac_bar.htm

I'm game, but I think I'm busy Thursday, and my work here is trying to organize a barbecue though and it'll be with one day's notice, aiming for Wednesday... what about Tuesday? Zeil is fine too, I don't care.