German rules I hate

128 posts in this topic

German-pushing
I used to find myself saying sorry alot to them even though they had pushed into me!

This involves going into town when it's busy and shoving Germans about at random.

haha funny you should say that cos thats my game too makes shopping here so much more fun!

grin.gif

just found this stuck to our wheelie bin

"BITTE KEINE GANZEN KARTON UND KASTON IN DEN CONTAINER WERFEN"

ps! BITTE BREACHEN DEM AUSHANG"!

ok shall I just werf it on the floor then shall !!!

@ Deano

I know exactly where you are coming from. On a number of occasions things have got a little out of hand for me, because I refuse to accept that I should give way to all and sundry.

I was waiting at the car wash the other day when some twat decided to push into the que. I got out of the car to question him, he told me he had paid for his ticket before I arrived, fannied around with his air and water, thus this ment he was before me in the que.

I pointed out that just because he had bought a ticket before me, did not mean he was entitled to push into the que. If I buy 20 tickets at the start of the year, am I always entitled to go to the front of the que?

They make me mad!!!

Duncan.

Being woken up on News Years day by one of the neighbours who was filming our garden and shouting we were not normal for having fireworks the night before on our own property and we should of used the road! After a huge argument witht the BF he demanded we pay for his car to be resprayed because WE (not the entire population of Germany) had put soot on it!!!

Luckily BF was still pissed and told him in no uncertain terms to prove it and while he was at it why did he not use his garage on the most sooty night of the year!!

Our other neighbours thought that he was trying to pull a fast one and get a cash settlement from us, probably thought the stupid "quiet" jock would just pay up. Oh how wrong you are to mess with a scotmans on New Years Day!!

When it's raining I quite enjoy dipping the front of my umbrella so I can't see and just walking straight into people, just like one of the locals.

people who swim backstroke in a crowded pool. After the first few times I was hit by a selfish swimmer I learned to kick out as they went past. Very unEnglish but most satisfying.

The job centre rules! You need everything from your bank account number to your shoe size just to go on the dole!! :angry:

Insurance rules here absolutely suck too no NHS or free treatments here :(

That you have to shake everybodys hand even if they are relatives! :angry:

The ammount of tax you have to pay is incredibly high!

Queue jumping!

Having to pay for carry bags in most shops!

Having to call teachers Frau and Herr when I was at college I called my teachers by their first name or nickname

Work places being just about work and no fun

Queues!

I am not too sure if that word exists in the German dictionary, so not fair to say it is a rule you don't like.

But I do sometimes get a big aggy in those self-service backeries, where I always queue politely of course, and sometimes end up seeing about 6 people push pass and just take what they want and go to the till. I do get actually get annoyed when I finally get to the counters themselves, start to pick and fill up me tray and if a gap appears between me and the next person of more then 10 centimetres then I brace myself for an incoming shove, smack, grab and take from someone who has got not patience and completely oblivous to others.

So my latest plan is when i get to the counter is to stick out my elbows on both arms to reduce the gap (sort of a bit like David seamen used to do on penalty kicks to make a goal seem smalled he would stick out both arms). So I have a developed a technique where I make myself as wide as possible, and make any incoming roll-snatcher to think twice that perhaps in pursuit of a roll that a black eye / elbow to the ribs aint worth the time saved. Anyone that knows the birdy song can perform this maneouvre.

The Finanzamt in Dieburg have taken a leaf out of Asda's book and have a number system. You go in take your number and as you would expect you take your turn, it’s all very civilised. I have yet to see a smile when I asked for 3 pork pies and a Hawaiian pizza!

Plus cyclists who are a rule unto their own on the road and on the pavement, infact wherever they want to be! I have on many occasion had to dodge a random cyclist who decided that there where too many people on the pavement and so just bounced off the kerb into the path of my car!

lmao! I'll remember that one! Don't think I'll ever stand in a queue (did I say queue?) without thinking of it! :lol:

and I know this isnt a rule but can someone please tell me why everyone in the supermarkets usually load their goods back into their trollies only to reload it back into the car...? why not take the collapsible baskets with them and load the shopping into them after going through check-out? Something I just don't understand! Seems like too much extra work if you ask me :wacko:

Hellie,

A trolly is easier to throw your things into, you have to do this very quickly to avoid having the next persons shopping all mixed up with yours :blink:

A trolly is easier to throw your things into, you have to do this very quickly to avoid having the next persons shopping all mixed up with yours

That highlights a reversal between England and Germany.

In England you can expect a relaxed experiance at the Supermarket checkout but at McDonalds you are out the door with your bag in hand before you have had time to decide what you want.

In Germany Supermarket till operators work at amazingly lightning speed leaving your no option but to just sweep your eggs, yogurts etc into your trollybefore the growing mound overflows onto the floor but the service at McDonalds leaves you enough time to read the newspaper that they have handy on the counter. :D

Currently back living in the UK after 12 years of hamburg and must say I totally agree with the last post, shopping is soooooo much more relaxed here,

1. The queues are never more than 2 deep

2. The checkouts are manned properly (at off-peak times you'll still find 8 or so open - as opposed to one in Germany!)

3. The staff seem all in all friendlier and happier to talk (most of them even smile !)

4. No one jumps the queue (Unless you see a German tourist)

5. If another cashier opens, people don't do a Linford Christie to get there before you (Courtesy is the key word!)

6. Nobody shoves you from behind

7. The quality is 10 times better (especially fruit & Veg, not to mention selection)

8. They take Credit Cards

9. The Checkout bird will ask if you need help packing

10. Bags are free

11. The Checkout bird will wait until your finished packing before continuing with the next customer.

12. Nobody complains or groans about "how long things are taking"

13. Pleanty of "Buy one Get one free" offers and the like !

I could go on and on, after all the pet peeves Britain has (It's in no way perfect), I must say that compared to shopping in germany it get's my 2 thumbs up !

The loading, unloading, loading business is mystery to me too. The car park is full of people sorting out their shopping in the boots of their cars.

What gets me is when the customer in front just watches the cashier as she (or he, but usually she) scans the goods and lets her shopping just pile up causing chaos, becuase the cashier never ever waits.

I always use carrier bags because I love the filthy looks I get when I ask for 4 grosse Taschen.

Us too.

We always pack into bags at the checkout, if the person behind has to wait, so be it!