German rules I hate

128 posts in this topic

Snow clearing. In our house even if we get a millimeter of snow we're expected to get up at the crack of dawn and clear it away incase some idiot manages to slip on it and ends up sueing your ass. I prefer the english way you fall on your over thats your tough shit.

Obscenely high compulsory state pension contributions

Shops closed on Sunday. You cannot believe how crippling this is to your life if you go out for beers on Friday night and lose half of Saturdax

Not being able to wash the car on a Sunday. Whats that all about?

Not being able to wash the car on a Sunday. Whats that all about?

Dunno, but we do, (though we don't vacuum it on Sunday) we do have good neighbors though, maybe that helps a lot. :D

You're not allowed to wash your car, full stop. Don't let the Old Bill catch you - big fine.

Jean-Pierre

You're not allowed to wash your car, full stop. Don't let the Old Bill catch you - big fine

Incorrect, you are not allowed to wash it on the street, however you can wash it in your own driveway.

mike_a, I think this is one for you.

Jean-Pierre

Having to separate all of your rubbish, take the plastic, glass, and paper to the recycling Hofon a Saturday morning. Only to be told by some P*#ck that you "can't put that in there". It's plastic, but the wrong type of plastic!

Incorrect, you are not allowed to wash it on the street, however you can wash it in your own driveway.

Well, if that's the case, it's different from what I've always been told. Even washing you car on the driveway will cause detergents to be washed down the street drains - which as far as I know is not allowed. Polishing your car may be a different matter, but if you're talking about a bucket of soapy water and a sponge the size of suitcase, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

Jean-Pierre

Can't think of many rules I hate except the ones already mentioned: Clearing snow and no noise on Sundays.

The one common irritation in Germany (maybe also the same in UK now) is the 'Links Fahrer' - you know, the person tootling down the Autobahn in the middle or left-hand lane with no other traffic in site (or with no realistic expectation of overtaking for several hours). The traffic cops around here are now targetting speeders and these guys, so hopefully we'll see a reduction...

Snow clearing
So what happens when it snows while nobody is at home? Can you still be sued if someone falls over and you were not in the position to clear it?

They are not too high compared to some other countries, what is particularly annoying is that if you are going to get sweet FA out of the system if you stay here an pay in. The social sytem here in Germany will collapse if the government does nothing about it. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do anything about it.

Shops closed Sundays
Now that most shops open later in the week, I find this ok. It's nice to have a relatively quiet day, without the possibility that I can be taken shopping.

Rechts vor links

This is annoying and I don't see the point of it. What anoys me are the people who turn right without looking and the old grandpas who, although they have right of way dither and mess up the whole idea.

Interestingly, an ex-colleague of mine, who was one of those turn right without looking types, turned right without looking and had his new BMW written off by an Italian guy. I pointed out that if he had looked before he turned, then, he would still have his new car, and wouldn't have a neckbrace. His response was, 'but I was in the right, he was wrong'. When one considers how many foreigners there are in Frankfurt, then it is clear that seom of them don't know the 'rechts vor links' rule, so looking before you turn is a good idea.

detergents to be washed down the street drains

That wasn't even mentioned, you do of course have to use bio friendly soap, which is probably all you can get at the car store anyway.

Another thing I hate is Cyclists being allowed to ride the wrong way down one way streets, several of our streets here allow this & the bikers always want to ride in the middle of the bloody road :angry:

It appears that people are more concerned about "being in the right" than the hassle of having your car written off. But what really gets me is when you see kids crossing the road, not looking right or left, just in case, but dead ahead at the green man. Do their parents not tell them that drivers sometimes miss red lights?

Car washes are open on sundays where we live (Kronberg nr Frankfurt). But I always take mine to BMW - €16 inside and out.

Interestingly, an ex-colleague of mine, who was one of those turn right without looking types, turned right without looking and had his new BMW written off by an Italian guy. I pointed out that if he had looked before he turned, then, he would still have his new car, and wouldn't have a neckbrace. His response was, 'but I was in the right, he was wrong'. When one considers how many foreigners there are in Frankfurt, then it is clear that seom of them don't know the 'rechts vor links' rule, so looking before you turn is a good idea.

Yeah right, and if you smash into someone when going through a green traffic light perhaps you should have slowed down in case some knobhead is jumping a red light! A couple of weeks ago I turned left into a road over which I had priority. I was looking right to make sure the way was clear. It was, so I carried on turning left and before I knew it someone ploughed into my front left wing. He obviously hadn't realised I had priority. He admitted liability, the police came and realised it was a pretty straightforward case. €15,000 repairs are being carried out on my car as I type this, and his insurance company is paying.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make. I suppose if there hadn't been "rechts vor links" there wouldn't have been an accident. But given that the rule does exist, it's not for me to pre-empt that others might break it. Also, as I've mentioned before, most "rechts vor links" accidents are low-speed blechschäden.

Jean-Pierre

Car washes are open on sundays where we live (Kronberg nr Frankfurt). But I always take mine to BMW - €16 inside and out.

Is that a hand wash? I am looking for somewhere that does a good handwash, I used to know one in Sachsenhausen, but that's a bit far now that I live in Hofheim.

Jean-Pierre

"Rechts vor links"

...yes I've seen a few German drivers who will happily die to prove they had right of way... " Bremsen ? ...kommt nicht in Frage, ich habe Vorfahrt!" :wacko:

@Luke

€16 inside and out. Is that at the BMW garage? I just brought a new BM and they didn't offer that (at least in Heilbronnthey don't).